Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Singapore Taxis - What's with the surcharges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by mkjr
agree, probably about 10000Y to go that far.
On one of my arrivals at NRT I had to persuade an American woman, who arrived first time in Japan, that taking taxi from Narita to Tokyo was a really bad idea and would cost her several hundred dollars. She thought that I was joking. At the same time, things are not that different in States - I remember one trip from SFO to Sunnyvale by taxi which cost me $120. Yes, it would be cheaper to rent a car for the whole day.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:28 pm

I agree that if you look soley at the cost of a cab ride, its comparably cheap.

But surcharge nonsens is driving everyone nuts in the meantime and i hope that the government will reform the current system. The availabilty of cabs in the hour before an additional surcharge kicks in is dropping dramatically, makes it sometimes impossible to get a cab at all .

Who understands, that the same cab company has different flag down rates for different cab models?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by SQ325
Who understands, that the same cab company has different flag down rates for different cab models?
Agree that this is one of the most ridiculous things.

My wishlist for the taxi system in Singapore

- Limit cab models to max 3 types (regular, maxi cab, disabled/London cab).
- Simplified fare structure for each of the 3 types.
- Centralised taxi booking system (though Grabtaxi and Uber is very useful now)
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by invisible
Honestly, I would prefer Singapore taxes regardless of pricing scheme to any city in the world.

- fee rules are written and you can make sense of them if you read in advance
- cabbies speak English, they are polite (I had only one grouchy cabbie over 3 years)
- you can do advance booking (yes, it is $8 more) and they will show up regardless of the situation outside (like rush hour and pouring rain)
- they do give you receipt
- they do ask you which road you want to take. A lot of (visiting) people are get confused by this but they ask it to find out if you want to take the fastest road (with ERP/added charged) or other way to minimize extra charges

Anyone complaining about Singapore taxi system - please try to take taxi from Shinjuku station to Haneda airport in Tokyo or try to get taxi and receipt in KL, Jakarta or Istambul.
^
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: FT
i am glad this thread was there.

so my take away, is overall, pretty cheap for taxis but the fare that you see may not be but they are not scamming you and the only scam you might face is a longer route.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by mkjr
the only scam you might face is a longer route
Does not work in Singapore - ask a taxi driver if he prefers to have a passenger going from Changi Village to Tuas or 4 pickup/dropoff within the CBD limits and he'd say latter. Also, longer route most likely is cheaper, because shorter route is mostly via toll roads.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:22 pm

That's true, alot of factors goes into what would be the best route.

1) Time of day (Rush hour conditions etc..)
2) Number of Traffic lights
3) Number of ERP Gantry
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:26 pm

Smile Singapore taxis - what's with the surcharges?

The "disappearing taxis" act 1 hour before midnight (when the 50% surcharge kicks in) is a very old problem which remains unresolved till today. They have tried everything to no avail. The "catch-me-if-you-can" cat & mouse game is chronic to Singapore.

"Uniquely Singapore" as the Singapore Tourism Board's catchphrase used to boast!

Btw, the General Manager of the largest cab company earns more than $1 million per year. Go figure!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:46 pm

I find that Uber in Singapore is too expensive. Especially if you live on the opposite ends of the island and want to head to the airport. Might as well get a 7 seater MaxiCab, it would be cheaper.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I almost got scammed with a nonexistent surcharge a couple of weeks ago. $10 surcharge for luggage. Not on the list on the window. Driver finally took it off, but tool us a longer way to our hotel. At the hotel a guest was about to get in and I told him I thought the driver was a bit dodgy. He took another taxi. I still need to complain about the driver
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck
I find that Uber in Singapore is too expensive. Especially if you live on the opposite ends of the island and want to head to the airport. Might as well get a 7 seater MaxiCab, it would be cheaper.
UberX or Ex is obscenely expensive. They have just launched UberCab, which books you a regular cab via the Uber app, it bills to your credit card without the 10% surcharge which is nice, they also give 25% off all taxi fares until the end of the month. If you use my invite you'll also get $10 in taxi credit!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by SirJman
UberX or Ex is obscenely expensive. They have just launched UberCab, which books you a regular cab via the Uber app, it bills to your credit card without the 10% surcharge which is nice, they also give 25% off all taxi fares until the end of the month. If you use my invite you'll also get $10 in taxi credit!
Yep, I've used the UberTaxi a few times this month. I'm saving my $20 credit (from old promo) for the airport. Though if they don't continue the 25%, I would go back to my regular Comfort/Citycab Taxi and pay by EZ-Link.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:50 am
uk1
Suspended

It's possible to have problematic taxi drivers anywhere, but on the whole Singapore is the most affordable and reliable taxi services we experience. Really cheap and courteous even when factoring in the extra charges. I have only ever experienced two problems.

#1. We picked up a taxi driver at Botanic and he started to mumble about a $10 surcharge "special for leaving Botanic" which was rubbish. I asked him to repeat it a couple of times and it was clearly a scam. I waited until we were in a nice busy area - Orchard - and asked him to stop on a street corner where I saw a couple of policeman. I told him to stop right by the policeman so he could explain the charges. He screeched to a halt a couple of hundred yards away and swent hyper and houted "my mistake, my mistake ... I go back and collect my $10 ..." and that was that. He got no fare and we had a free ride to Orchard. Rough justice.

#2. We picked a cab up away from the environs of Gardens on The Bay and an extra charge was added. I wasn't sure so I paid and asked for a receipt. When I got back to the hotel I emailed the taxi company and said "can you confirm the charge was correct from this pickup point". It wasn't so much the surcharge, I just like to understand the rules. They replied within an hour and confirmed it wasn't and asked for my hotel address. They sent a refund voucher for the fare plus I think $10 to say "sorry" and a written apology and said they would be "taking it up" with the driver. I was impressed.

Even with the surcharges Singapore taxis are great value and generally problem free.

Bangkok was a completely different experience ....
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:20 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC

It was hidden in one of the posts above but to spell it out again: surcharges and rates are printed on a sticker pasted on the window of most taxis (facing inwards). What's not on there is a scam.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by uk1
It's possible to have problematic taxi drivers anywhere, but on the whole Singapore is the most affordable and reliable taxi services we experience. Really cheap and courteous even when factoring in the extra charges. I have only ever experienced two problems.

#1. We picked up a taxi driver at Botanic and he started to mumble about a $10 surcharge "special for leaving Botanic" which was rubbish. I asked him to repeat it a couple of times and it was clearly a scam. I waited until we were in a nice busy area - Orchard - and asked him to stop on a street corner where I saw a couple of policeman. I told him to stop right by the policeman so he could explain the charges. He screeched to a halt a couple of hundred yards away and swent hyper and houted "my mistake, my mistake ... I go back and collect my $10 ..." and that was that. He got no fare and we had a free ride to Orchard. Rough justice.

#2. We picked a cab up away from the environs of Gardens on The Bay and an extra charge was added. I wasn't sure so I paid and asked for a receipt. When I got back to the hotel I emailed the taxi company and said "can you confirm the charge was correct from this pickup point". It wasn't so much the surcharge, I just like to understand the rules. They replied within an hour and confirmed it wasn't and asked for my hotel address. They sent a refund voucher for the fare plus I think $10 to say "sorry" and a written apology and said they would be "taking it up" with the driver. I was impressed.

Even with the surcharges Singapore taxis are great value and generally problem free.

Bangkok was a completely different experience ....
When did you take the taxi from Gardens by the Bay? I remember there is a surcharge. It's also stated on the LTA website. I'm not sure if charges are due if leaving from the area or going to the area though..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.