Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore - KL by bus

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Singapore - KL by bus

How long does it take to travel from Singapore to KL (Bukit Bintang area) by bus? Are any bus companies better than the others? Also, are there any pros / cons of booking a seat in the first row, diagonally across from the driver? (I will be travelling on my own)
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:57 pm

Four hours plus depending on the bus operator, occasionally much slower if you travel at a particularly bad time when the roads and immigration are jammed (Chinese New Year, Hari Raya, etc).

There are huge differences between the operators/buses and spending an extra $10 for a better one is usually well warranted; make sure they use the Second Link (much faster than going via JB) and have a toilet on board (less stops). The nicer buses have lots of single seat options. The companies are locked in an endless arms race, but the major players are listed here:

http://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Singapore#By%20bus

I've found Aeroline and Transtar to be good luxury options, and First Coach to offer a speedy but fairly no-frills ride. YMMV.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by FedUp2
How long does it take to travel from Singapore to KL (Bukit Bintang area) by bus? Are any bus companies better than the others? Also, are there any pros / cons of booking a seat in the first row, diagonally across from the driver? (I will be travelling on my own)
YMMV, but the bus ride from SIN-KL is approx 5-6 hours, usually with 1 stop in between. Determining factor would be the KL traffic. If travelling on Sundays, traffic is minimal, and you would be able to reach faster.

I personally would not sit in the first row, cuz there are no seatbelts in these buses.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
.... and don't forget the train. The night service saves on a hotel, and if you can purchase the ticket in Malaysia it's cheap.

Paying in MYR on a Singapore departure involves a Singapore to Johor ticket in SGD and a Johor KL ticket in MYR. Slightly complicated but electronic tickets make it easy: more details in http://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm#Fares
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:55 am

I took Aeroline twice, once in 2010 and once in 2011. The coach was comfortable and the service was OK. If you're considering taking it, I have a short review here : http://piggeeks.net/feng/index.php/one-world-hotel/

Some buses that are more expensive have more leg space, better service, have a toilet on-board for light usage (no pooping) and serves food and drinks, with power sockets for charging devices and have on-board entertainment ^
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
.... and don't forget the train. The night service saves on a hotel, and if you can purchase the ticket in Malaysia it's cheap.

Paying in MYR on a Singapore departure involves a Singapore to Johor ticket in SGD and a Johor KL ticket in MYR. Slightly complicated but electronic tickets make it easy: more details in http://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm#Fares
All true, but since the Tanjong Pagar train station is now closed, all trains leave from Woodlands right next to the border. So you might as well bus it across to JB and only board the train there, the station is connected to the immigration building.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:28 am

It will be taking hours for completing your trip and if you require to book such a seat visit this link hope this would help http://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Singapore#By%20bus
Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:59 pm

Hi, I boarded a bus from Golden Mile at 12mn today and reached Berjaya Times Square at 450am.
I came across this while searching for my return trip. Where can I board a bus back to Singapore?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by astrokia
Hi, I boarded a bus from Golden Mile at 12mn today and reached Berjaya Times Square at 450am.
I came across this while searching for my return trip. Where can I board a bus back to Singapore?
KL Sentral. Bunch of options are available.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
KL Sentral. Bunch of options are available.
Or try the old train station, which is where all the Transnasional/Nice/Plusliner services leave.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:53 am
Suspended

I think that the con of such a bus seat is that it offers less leg room. The pro is that you get the best view.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:32 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-US; GT-I8730 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1 UCBrowser/9.2.0.419 Mobile)

Originally Posted by astrokia
Nearly all companies plying between KUL and SIN are directly bookable on either easibook or busonlineticket, sometimes with a considerable discount. Here you will also find info of which exact bus will be used (although that sometimes changes last minute) and where the departure and arrival is located.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by nvoi
[SIZE=1]Nearly all companies plying between KUL and SIN are directly bookable on either easibook or busonlineticket, sometimes with a considerable discount. Here you will also find info of which exact bus will be used (although that sometimes changes last minute) and where the departure and arrival is located.
I still do not understand point of bus on KL-SIN route because return ticket on airasia can be bought for $90 with all taxes and return ticket on bus starts from $70.

$20 and 4 hour difference in travel time.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:30 am

I still do not understand point of bus on KL-SIN route because return ticket on airasia can be bought for $90 with all taxes and return ticket on bus starts from $70.
You can't always get a $90 return on AirAsia; you can pretty much always get a $70 return on the bus. Also, when you factor in travel time to/from the airport, security, immigration yadda yadda, the actual savings are much less than four hours, although it's better than it used to be thanks to the new direct train to KLIA2.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia

$20 and 4 hour difference in travel time.
The Straits Times did a comparison of the different travel options (IIRC perhaps 2 years back with the advent of the multiple budget air carriers starting this route): car, train, bus, air and the conclusion was that there was not that huge a difference between bus and air in total travel time - city center to city center - a little less than an hour differential.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.