Restaurant Recommendations in Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Restaurant Recommendations in Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by aster
Jumbo has a nice location though at Clarke Quay, and the food is fine as well. I did prefer the seafood restaurant at Vivo (cannot remember the name), but it has nothing near the ambiance of the Jumbo CQ. Plus CQ is good because there are loads of good places to go for drinks afterwards.
There are actually 2 Jumbos at Clarke Quay (actually opposite). 1 is at Riverwalk and 1 is at Riverside, both are within 5 minutes walk of CQ.

The seafood restaurant at Vivocity is No Signboard. Good option after a day out in Sentosa.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by SQ319
There are actually 2 Jumbos at Clarke Quay (actually opposite). 1 is at Riverwalk and 1 is at Riverside, both are within 5 minutes walk of CQ.

The seafood restaurant at Vivocity is No Signboard. Good option after a day out in Sentosa.
Yup, there is another one at the Riverwalk between Clarke Quay and Boar Quay - very close. I haven't tried it yet but I walk by there quite often. On a side note there is an interesting comedy club next to it with performances every Tuesday (Comedy Masala they call it).

Yup, "No Signboard" is the good seafood place at Vivo. There is also a seafood restaurant next to the Esplanade theatres that has both indoor and outdoor seating (it might also be part of the "No Signboard" chain, can't recall), but this is one place I would steer well clear of.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 4:06 pm
In memoriam

An old friend of ours runs this place in Singapore now:

http://andmade.sg/

He's a seriously talented chef (was the head chef at the RC in Buckhead Atlanta for years - then the head chef at 3 Michelin star L'Osier in Tokyo before it closed for renovation). I don't know what the place is like - or how the heck he wound up in Singapore - but the place is probably worth a try. Robyn
Old Nov 23, 2013, 5:02 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Yup, "No Signboard" is the good seafood place at Vivo. There is also a seafood restaurant next to the Esplanade theatres that has both indoor and outdoor seating (it might also be part of the "No Signboard" chain, can't recall), but this is one place I would steer well clear of.
Ahem, expect bill >$150 per person there. Apparently they are still working how to pay for a signboard, at customers expense, obviously....
Old Nov 24, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: NWA PE, Delta Pt, United 1P
Hi all,

Former SG resident, I'm returning to Singapore next week.. this thread is very timely..

For Seafood: I've always enjoyed getting something at the various seafood places at East Coast Park: Red House, Jumbo, No Signboard are all there, and you have an al fresco or AC dining near the sea. Typical dishes like chili crab are found there..

For Cantonese places, Back in 2008, I remember there was always good competition between Crystal Jade or Imperial Treasure... Has anything changed? Are these two still the top Cantonese places?
Old Nov 28, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by kxl19
For Cantonese places, Back in 2008, I remember there was always good competition between Crystal Jade or Imperial Treasure... Has anything changed? Are these two still the top Cantonese places?
Same ol', same ol'. These are still the main chains, competing against each other as usual, but after a while they can get a bit boring so you start looking at other alternatives. I haven't found many decent ones, but Lao Beijing at Plaza Singapura was well worth a return visit. Obviously not your standard Cantonese restaurant, but a lot of dishes were plucked straight out of the CJ/IP menu. Whatever you do, stay clear of Mouth Restaurant (would love to know who chose this name...) which is also located at Plaza Singapura.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by kxl19
Hi all,

Former SG resident, I'm returning to Singapore next week.. this thread is very timely..

For Seafood: I've always enjoyed getting something at the various seafood places at East Coast Park: Red House, Jumbo, No Signboard are all there, and you have an al fresco or AC dining near the sea. Typical dishes like chili crab are found there..

For Cantonese food/butter crabs, there is the Paradise group now which serves pretty respectable food. Crystal Jade's food quality has gone down the drain imho. Wan Hao @ Marriott is pretty good as well. Ditto Li Bai @ Sheraton and Wah Lok @ Carlton Hotel. ^
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
[...]
Yes, it's No Signboard Seafood down there at Esplanade theaters. There is also one @Central on the last floor overlooking CQ and Fort Canning. Pretty nice.

For the upscale dining I would say TungLok is pretty good, I dined @Central branch. Tippling club some love, others hate. The ambience is great and the degustation menu is impressive but I had higher expectations for the price. Edge @Pan Pacific and Oscar @Conrad are one of the best buffets.

Nara Thai @ION Orchard, best Tom Yum hands down
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by stiwi
Nara Thai @ION Orchard, best Tom Yum hands down
How big is the soup - like main-course size or just a small one?

Sabai is said to be top-class, I believe they're over at Ngee Ann City unless they have moved recently, plus they have an additional outlet on the bay (next to the new Fullerton).

Will have to give Nara Thai a look though as finding a good Tom Yum is not as east as it sounds.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: LH Sen, UA 1K, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platin Ambassador
For dinner (or lunch) with a spectacular view I recommend
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:56 am

How big is the soup - like main-course size or just a small one?

Sabai is said to be top-class, I believe they're over at Ngee Ann City unless they have moved recently, plus they have an additional outlet on the bay (next to the new Fullerton).

Will have to give Nara Thai a look though as finding a good Tom Yum is not as east as it sounds.
No more Sabai at Taka.
Tom Yum soup at Nara Thai is like a main course portion. Priced at S$20++.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by stiwi
No more Sabai at Taka.
Tom Yum soup at Nara Thai is like a main course portion. Priced at S$20++.
So just by the bay then.

I also recall a Thai place at Tanglin that some people I know liked but haven't tried it out yet.

Anyone been to this place? http://www.sichuandouhua.com/restaur...UOB-Plaza.aspx
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:21 am

So just by the bay then.

I also recall a Thai place at Tanglin that some people I know liked but haven't tried it out yet.
[...]
I had high hopes for Patara Thai restaurant @Tanglin Mall after dining several times in their London branch located in Soho. However I was disappointed with the food quality, so I have never came back. Maybe chef had a bad day, I don't know. I should give it perhaps one more chance one day as I really like their extensive menu...
... or maybe not. I just checked TA to see whether it is just me but it seems this review confirms my observations of London branch being superior, while SG branch being a let down.

I do keep coming back for Tom Yam to Nara Thai though
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:03 pm

I tried this sichuan restaurant before but at the beach road branch.

The quality is very good, very sichuan as they use those flower peppercorns.
Not cheap though.
Comparable to a higher end sichuan restaurant in Shanghai.

So just by the bay then.

Anyone been to this place? http://www.sichuandouhua.com/restaur...UOB-Plaza.aspx
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA-Gold SPG-Gold Avis-First
This is a great list of places to try.

We just went to Nara Thai (ION) a week ago for lunch and were very disappointed with the service. They pretty much ignored us. Portions were pretty small for the price, and non-alcoholic drinks expensive..ie. small lime juice for 7SGD.

Red House at Clarke quay is nice for ambiance and chili crab. Food court in basement of Takashimaya is great and you have their amazing food hall to explore. Best hawker place near Orchard is Newton...though when we tried to save our table with tissue packets (as usual) we came back to find the cleaning guy had "cleaned" our table and thrown them away.

For high end, Restaurant Andre is incredible...prepare to be blown away. Also, just visited Salt on level 55 of ION for lunch. They have executive set lunch for 45. Yummy and fantastic view in all directions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.