Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Durians: Love or hate?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by aster
Yesterday I saw a place of some pieces of durian and the price was... $60. Isn't there something wrong with that picture?
No. Durians come in high-end varieties as well. And there's a wide-range between the low and high end of pricing. Before you partake, always good to know the price.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Yesterday I saw a place of some pieces of durian and the price was... $60. Isn't there something wrong with that picture?
Originally Posted by tide
No. Durians come in high-end varieties as well. And there's a wide-range between the low and high end of pricing. Before you partake, always good to know the price.
It depends on:
What grade/quality/specie of Durian?
Where this piece of Durian was? Fresh piece of ripen Durian in Western Europ will be more expensive that a same piece in Thailand or Malaysia.
How long the shell has been opened? just opened vs lying around makes a difference
What currency? 60 Bhat is cheap, 60SGD no so
Old Aug 11, 2013, 1:39 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tentseller
It depends on:
What grade/quality/specie of Durian?
Where this piece of Durian was? Fresh piece of ripen Durian in Western Europ will be more expensive that a same piece in Thailand or Malaysia.
How long the shell has been opened? just opened vs lying around makes a difference
In North Jakarta at night, I see a bunch of durian vendors set up along the streets. "Monthong" is what they advertise- is that "grade A" durian?

No matter, because I wouldn't eat any variant of that fruit again. For a fourth time.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
In North Jakarta at night, I see a bunch of durian vendors set up along the streets. "Monthong" is what they advertise- is that "grade A" durian?

No matter, because I wouldn't eat any variant of that fruit again. For a fourth time.
Sorry but I am more familiar with Thai and SingMa, been to Jarkata and Bali only once this lifetime so far.

I would not comment on pieces of shelled Durian at market unless I can see smell and if permitted feel it.
Some vendors just chop the shell up with the durian pieces just for tourist to play "Dare you" drinking games. These are crap and only suitable for drunk foreigners.
The Durian shell when ripe will open when pressure is exerted at a certian point of the shell, no need for machete or clever.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by tentseller
S$60 here at Cold Storage. I believe it was from Malaysia. There were something like 8 pieces, does the durian have special bits that are the best/priciest?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

S$60 here at Cold Storage. I believe it was from Malaysia. There were something like 8 pieces, does the durian have special bits that are the best/priciest?
That would be average if it is fresh, opened with 2-3 days and sealed.

I have never purchased durian in SG, always treated by others. When I want some good durian, I head to my friend's family durian farm near Malacca.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 1:52 am

Programs: DL gold, Marriott Platinum, UA silver
McDonald's at GWC did not have a durian milkshake today. Quite disappointed. I enjoy durian milkshakes. And was hoping for one close by.
I still have not tried plain Durian.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by flsunshineflyer
McDonald's at GWC did not have a durian milkshake today. Quite disappointed. I enjoy durian milkshakes. And was hoping for one close by.
I still have not tried plain Durian.
woo Durian Milkshake, I have not tried that. Will look out for it.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are we talking about durian milkshake where they put in real durian pieces or durian flavoured milkshake a la McD's.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & 1M, Hilton Gold, IHG Rewards Plat
I am Japanese and I love durian, especially Malay variety – popular Monthong in Thailand is often not sweet/strong enough for me.
Normally I prefer fresh one much better to processed durian sweets, such as candy or Chinese moon cake, but ice cream is exceptionally my favorite. Thanks everyone for the info regarding McDonald Milkshake. I’d love to look for and try it when I visit to Singapore this week end, although I definitely walk on Sims Avenue every evening for good fresh ones too.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:19 am

I love durians. It is also an aphrodisiac. The locals in Malaysia says that when the durians fall, the sarong will rise.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jameschan2811
I love durians. It is also an aphrodisiac. The locals in Malaysia says that when the durians fall, the sarong will rise.
I remember that one mentioned during a men's drinking session in Malaysia.

Good thing that Sir Issac Newton was not a Malay or Thai!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by MasaTokyo
I am Japanese and I love durian, especially Malay variety – popular Monthong in Thailand is often not sweet/strong enough for me.
Normally I prefer fresh one much better to processed durian sweets, such as candy or Chinese moon cake, but ice cream is exceptionally my favorite. Thanks everyone for the info regarding McDonald Milkshake. I’d love to look for and try it when I visit to Singapore this week end, although I definitely walk on Sims Avenue every evening for good fresh ones too.
Monthong in Thailand is the favorite in Thailand. Monthong means "golden pillow" and this variety is often exported. The flesh is very thick and the smell is not as strong as the Malaysian variety.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 1:01 am

I won't buy durians in a supermarket. Something about the way they sell it that just doesn't feel fresh. (Also Cold Storage is terribly overpriced).

Speaking of durians and milkshakes and whatnots, I'm quite happy Hungry Ghost is ending in slightly over 2 weeks, it means the start of the mooncake season, and feasting on durian mooncakes (besides the fruit itself, of course)!! ^^
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:47 am

Programs: DL gold, Marriott Platinum, UA silver
Slightly changing the subject.
I am sure there are many opinions, but who has the best mooncakes? Every hotel advertises them. I tried one in Chinatown. Wasn't impressed. I'm sure I did not buy from the best place!
Opinions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.