Reload this Page >

Changi is NOT the world's best airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changi is NOT the world's best airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
'Cept that HKG has 24-hour public transit?
Do you really need public transport at an airport that doesn't have planes landing 24h a day? It's not like this is an airport thing either - the entire subway network doesn't run 24h.

Plus, with cabs being so cheap I don't see this being much of a problem in either case.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 2:16 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by aster
Do you really need public transport at an airport that doesn't have planes landing 24h a day? It's not like this is an airport thing either - the entire subway network doesn't run 24h.

Plus, with cabs being so cheap I don't see this being much of a problem in either case.
Uh, SIN has a bunch of China-flights that seem to operate whenever they'd like (early in the morning/late at night). Tour buses might be common for these flights, but not every passenger follows a flag...
It IS a 24-hour airport though, which one can take two ways. Someone can take the last train to it and kill a few hours that way, or the city-state could find another way to let visitors waste their money outside of the airport.

Ah yes, the ol' "so cheap" excuse. Familiar with the financial status of every SIN passenger, eh?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
or the city-state could find another way to let visitors waste their money outside of the airport.
ERP going to the airport (there are some on PIE)

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Aug 15, 2013 at 4:32 pm
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Someone can take the last train to it and kill a few hours that way, or the city-state could find another way to let visitors waste their money outside of the airport.
Or you could just get a cheap cab.

I have a 24hr supermarket that I go to, but at 4am I am unable to get there by public transport. Should I ask the city-state to become a nanny-state and find a way for me to get there?
Old Aug 17, 2013, 3:17 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by invisible
With the single exception every time I arrived at T3 - those arrivals are at night - baggage was delivered max after 15 min of opening the gate.
Well I pick up my children from T3 ~10x a year, and my children invariably come out of the hall about 25-40 mins after the flight is shown as having landed. They always have to wait a significant time for luggage (>>5 mins), in spite of having priority tags, and that's been consistent over 3 years.

By contrast, I almost never wait for more than 5 mins for luggage at T1 (there have been a couple of occasions, but few enough that I notice).

Maybe it's a problem with those 2 SQ LHR flights that they take.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 3:24 am

Interesting. Most of the time when I reach the baggage area all my luggage is already on the conveyor belt, and it's not like I'm being held up by a long line at immigration or anything like that. I don't think I've ever been to an airport where bags were delivered in less time than at Changi.

As for the web site, I really can't say. But they have a very good iPhone app that lets you select certain flights and receive notifications, be it when a flight is boarding for departures or when a plane lands for arrivals.
Then your experience mirrors mine in HKG - I had the same experience there to the extent that my family were always surprised when our luggage was not on the belt or delivered within a minute of when we got there.

I have no complaints of Changi's T1 as it is almost as good, but am mystified as to why my kids always have to wait a substantial time for their bags at T3.

The app sounds great, will investigate.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 3:32 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by KACommuter
Maybe it's a problem with those 2 SQ LHR flights that they take.
Due to the fact that they are A380 flights, probably.

I have no complaints of Changi's T1 as it is almost as good, but am mystified as to why my kids always have to wait a substantial time for their bags at T3.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 4:51 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
'Cept that HKG has 24-hour public transit?

Doesn't necessarily affect everyone, but that would be a big difference.
Fair enough. Though I would point out that the Airport Express has limited hours just like the MRT to Changi.

Had to cab it to HKG for an early morning flight to SGN as a result, coming from Hong Kong island.

Ah yes, the ol' "so cheap" excuse. Familiar with the financial status of every SIN passenger, eh?
Might be worth pointing out the relative costs of the Airport Express and MRT here.

Overall it's like the old debate for which is the world's best first class lounge...I'd be happy to use either or both (and often do).
Old Aug 17, 2013, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Coathanger
Fair enough. Though I would point out that the Airport Express has limited hours just like the MRT to Changi.

Had to cab it to HKG for an early morning flight to SGN as a result, coming from Hong Kong island.

Might be worth pointing out the relative costs of the Airport Express and MRT here.

Overall it's like the old debate for which is the world's best first class lounge...I'd be happy to use either or both (and often do).
On CX, my SGN flights usually leave at 8 AM...
Old Aug 17, 2013, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Due to the fact that they are A380 flights, probably.
Nope. One is, the other is a 777. Maybe the noon to mid-afternoon shift is simply slower as there are fewer people arriving.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 4:17 am

Nope. One is, the other is a 777. Maybe the noon to mid-afternoon shift is simply slower as there are fewer people arriving.
You could be on to something here. A while back when I used to fly a lot between LHR and SIN I believe that the 2nd plane of the day (around 18:30 was it?) was by far the earliest long-haul flight to arrive from Europe in the afternoon. Most either arrive very early like 7am or around 16:30-18.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 4:28 am

I always use it when picking people up so that I know when the plane is expected (especially if it's coming in early) and once it lands.

You can also get it for the iPad.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then your experience mirrors mine in HKG - I had the same experience there to the extent that my family were always surprised when our luggage was not on the belt or delivered within a minute of when we got there.

On Android there is flighttrack.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:52 pm

You could be on to something here. A while back when I used to fly a lot between LHR and SIN I believe that the 2nd plane of the day (around 18:30 was it?) was by far the earliest long-haul flight to arrive from Europe in the afternoon. Most either arrive very early like 7am or around 16:30-18.
This is indeed the flight where I see very s l o w luggage delivery. And also the one before that which departs LHR at around 3 pm and arrives here at noon.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 6:24 am

[QUOTE=douginguam;21276668]I like Changi , though the pre-boarding that always takes place [into the cattle cell] does diminish the (first/business) experience

Agree with this 100%. Having to queue with the cattle class for the boarding gate security check ruins a premium class flying experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.