relocating to SIN, new FFP and Creditcard

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2011, 5:57 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Mickey4finger
what's the benefit of going to BD now?
Easier to status match than many others. Big multipliers if you travel higher classes. Cash & Miles redemptions. Only need 38K miles to re-qualify for Gold.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:10 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Easier to status match than many others. Big multipliers if you travel higher classes. Cash & Miles redemptions. Only need 38K miles to re-qualify for Gold.
Just be aware that BD Diamond Club may have a limited shelf life of another year or so and then could (god forbid it will really happen) be integrated into LH M&M program. Your status would transfer to LH and your miles too, just that redemption values are not as good in LH M&M than in BD.

As it appears that you will be the decision maker of what airlines to use for your travels I would say with a SIN base fly SQ in mileage accruing Eco fares point to point (instead of going via HKG on CX) and credit to BD, LH or UA for example. A3 (Aegan) is great for just getting *A status quickly but redemption values are not as good as BD. Nothing beats BD at this point in time as long as it lasts. Definitely have a *A program to bank to.

A SQ KF account is useful for converting credit card points into KrisFlyer miles and using them for regional travel as needed. At least that's what I do. Many credit cards out there and there is a lively discussion with loads of info in the Singapore Airlines forum here on FT.

As far as banks go, I for one have been here for over 6 years and survived just fine without a DBS / POSB account. My main banking is with Citi and I have a secondary account with Maybank (a large Malaysian bank) for some savings products. But HSBC is definitely also a strong choice.

I had banking relationships with Citi in the previous places I lived at and they got a global funds transfer facility that allows free or almost free transfers (e.g. 10 USD fee) between Citi accounts in different countries. Neat feature if you or family happen to bank with them at home and if you will maintain your accounts there. There are sufficient places to get money from Citi or affiliated (5 network) ATMs in town. If you live centrally in SIN it will be no issue. If you move out further into the heartland than it can get a bit more difficult if out there quick cash is needed.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 3:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
Have you moved yet? I am on iPhone app and can't see location but where are you moving from?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS, FB Plat, LH SEN *G, Emirates Gold, SPG Plat, Accor Plat, Hhonors Gold and some others
Originally Posted by aragno
Have you moved yet? I am on iPhone app and can't see location but where are you moving from?
sept 1 is the date, moving from the Netherlands
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
Let me know when you arrive. We can grab a beer. Where in NL? My previous employer had HQ in Den Haag so spent a little time here and there in NL.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 7:56 am

I'm relocating to SIN in two days. Always look forward to meeting up with FTers. Maybe we can initiate some monthly gathering similar to the Mabodofu in Tokyo.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 3:16 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I'm relocating to SIN in two days. Always look forward to meeting up with FTers. Maybe we can initiate some monthly gathering similar to the Mabodofu in Tokyo.
Welcome to SIN then. Hope you are settling in well. drop me a PM if you got any questions.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by demue
Welcome to SIN then. Hope you are settling in well. drop me a PM if you got any questions.
Thanks. I've suggested some folks get together this Friday in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...er-thread.html if you are free.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, IHG & Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'm resurrecting a somewhat old thread with some banking advice for Singapore.

For the best bank account, I currently prefer Citibank's "Tap and Save" account. It includes a Visa ATM/debit card that doubles as an EZ-Link card (for use on trains, buses, taxis, and for certain purchases). You get a rebate of 1% (Visa transactions) to 1.167% (net rebate for EZ-Link transactions after the reload fee) every time you use the card for purchases with no minimums and no maximums -- really outstanding for a debit card. (Note, however, that Citibank does not allow using the card for Internet purchases.) The ATM card works at plenty of machines, including HSBC, Standard Chartered, Maybank, ANZ, and SBI machines in Singapore. You can withdraw cash using your ATM card anywhere globally, and there's no fee (except possibly the usual 1% Visa network rate and the local machine operator's fee, if any). Maintain a minimum S$2000 balance and the account is free of maintenance fees, and you also get free checks. Interest paid on the account is less awful than elsewhere, particularly if you have regular deposits. Citibank's Global Transfer service, to send money to another Citibank account in most Citibank countries, is much cheaper than any other bank's wire transfer service. (If you qualify for HSBC Premier their comparable service is good, too.) There are some pretty good Citibank promotions at various restaurants and other merchants in Singapore.

What people don't tell you about DBS/POSB is that it's the only bank that routinely has long lines. Sure, there are lots of DBS and POSB ATMs, but you often have to wait to use them. And Singapore is rather small -- let's be honest -- so even if you have a smaller ATM network than DBS's you still have an awful lot of convenience. (But it isn't that much smaller given the "ATM5" network.)

Citibank is not part of NETS, although as another poster mentioned that's not really a problem. If the merchant doesn't take EZ-Link or Visa, just use EPINS (a smaller debit card network) or cash. Not a big deal.

For a credit card, oddly enough Diners Club has the lowest (1% total, including network fee) foreign transaction fee among Singapore-issued cards. Diners Club is accepted in China anywhere UnionPay is accepted (which is as big as it gets there), anywhere JCB is accepted in Japan (ditto), and anywhere Discover Card and Diners Club are accepted. It doesn't have the reach of Visa or MasterCard, but it's pretty good. The only downside I can see is that Diners Club has an annual fee after the first year, although you can pay for it if you accumulate enough reward points.

Almost universally the other credit cards charge a 2.5% total foreign transaction fee (network rate plus bank rate), plus there's a double currency conversion if the foreign transaction is not in either Singapore dollars or U.S. dollars resulting in some extra currency loss. You're better off withdrawing cash at a local fee-free ATM using your Citibank Singapore ATM card and spending that.

Among the mediocre foreign exchange credit cards that aren't named Diners Club, CIMB's World MasterCard is decent with a 1% rebate on everything and no annual fee. CIMB publishes a 1.5% foreign currency markup, but that apparently doesn't include the MasterCard network fee (probably 1%). So expect to pay a net 1.5% on foreign currency transactions with that card. Plus there's a double currency conversion for any non-U.S./Singapore dollar transactions. It's probably the best among a bad bunch when used outside Singapore.

If anyone has found a better credit or debit card issued in Singapore for foreign currency transactions overseas, please post. I'm really quite disappointed.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some random comments:

Consider getting an AmEx Plat Card issued in Singapore; there seem to be lots of promos for good restaurants, etc. Look for all of the local credit card tie-ins.

SkyTeam could work well for mainland China travel as they have CZ and MU, both of which have large networks and good service. CX has surprisingly few connections from HKG to most major Chinese cities.

For travel from SIN to Dubai and Australia, consider how much of your travel could be covered by Emirates. However, coach is very different from business class, including the business class terminal and lounges in DXB.

While SQ's coach might be as good as coach gets now, it is expensive (as are most SQ biz and IFC tickets) and doesn't help for PSS or whatever status on SQ, which is the valuable status for flying exSIN and flying SQ. Don't confuse coach on SQ with their premier cabins in comparing airlines or FF programs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.