Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UberX in Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

UberX in Singapore

I know in some places Taxis are cheaper than Ubers but what about in Singapore? I like UberX a lot and prefer to use my credit card. Which option is less expensive a taxi or Uber?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
I know in some places Taxis are cheaper than Ubers but what about in Singapore? I like UberX a lot and prefer to use my credit card. Which option is less expensive a taxi or Uber?
Depends on time of day (surcharges/ERP) as well as route taken (again, due to ERP.)
Also, for taxis, many people like to specify preferred route, which can be particularly useful for both if you know the city well.
Where exactly are you trying to go?
Uber may be a better option if you wish to use a CC as taxis add a 10% surcharge for CC payments (though I do believe you can reload ezlink using a credit card which has lower processing fees, as well as get a very good rebate using NETS if you are a local.)
In any event, I mainly use taxis for carrying groceries to my flat and public transport/walk everywhere else.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Uber is usually a tiny bit cheaper than taxi. I mostly use public transport, but when I need a car, I use a combination of Uber and taxi, depending on availability.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:48 am

UberX is a bit cheaper. For example - when i go from my usual hotel to Changi UberX costs ~$14-15, and a taxi costs ~$18-19. You can also get a taxi on the Uber app, although lately they seem very reluctant to take the fare.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
I posted a similar thread last year:

Uber in Singapore

I now use Uber for most of my rides there. Even when surge pricing is on during the morning commute, I've found that if I just keep re-trying, usually within 15 minutes the pricing comes down.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:46 pm

They also just dropped their prices a few weeks ago.

SG Uber Drivers are always friendly, and they have no hesitance to use GPS unlike most other "real" taxi drivers in that expect you to spoon feed them the exact streets they need to take to get you to your destination.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I read UberX would be more expensive if there's a traffic jam as compared to a Taxi. Anyways, I primarily use Uber overseas.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:15 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by lcpteck
I read UberX would be more expensive if there's a traffic jam as compared to a Taxi. Anyways, I primarily use Uber overseas.
They are also likely to be more expensive soon in Singapore as it looks possible that they may have to be licensed the same as cabs.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:54 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
They are cheaper when taking from the airport too which is what I now regularly do.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
They are cheaper when taking from the airport too which is what I now regularly do.
From the airport or to the airport as well? What time do you take them? My flights usually require me to be at the airport around 5AM and leave around 1AM. Do they charge extra for night time?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Originally Posted by invisible
From the airport or to the airport as well? What time do you take them? My flights usually require me to be at the airport around 5AM and leave around 1AM. Do they charge extra for night time?
1AM? Seriously? If you have any status to speed check-in of baggage at all, and check in for BP online, I would never leave from CBD/Riverside until about 3AM.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by JHattery
1AM? Seriously? If you have any status to speed check-in of baggage at all, and check in for BP online, I would never leave from CBD/Riverside until about 3AM.
I meant that my outgoing flights leave at 6AM (NRT/HKG) and arrive at 1AM from the same destinations. So I need to be at the airport 5AM latest and leave the airport beyond midnight after arrival.

Both times night surcharge applies for taxis and with me coming from West coast one way charge usually is at least $35.

Last edited by invisible; Jun 28, 2015 at 7:27 pm
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:43 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
UberX in Singapore

There is no surcharge at all for uberX unless there is surge pricing or just an extra 1.50 leaving FROM Changi. So will also be cheaper for you as there's no midnight surcharge.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Hopefully you would be able to get an UberX at that time of the night invisible.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by invisible
I meant that my outgoing flights leave at 6AM (NRT/HKG) and arrive at 1AM from the same destinations. So I need to be at the airport 5AM latest and leave the airport beyond midnight after arrival.

Both times night surcharge applies for taxis and with me coming from West coast one way charge usually is at least $35.
Just wondering if you were able to try this with the 6AM departure. My guess is you are on UA 804 to NRT or UA 896 to HKG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.