Private Tour Guide in Singapore

Subscribe
Ok, let's begin by acknowledging that there's no need to hire a guide in Singapore.

But...

My wife's parents are going to Asia for the first time.

Singapore will be their first stop in Asia.

And my inclination would be to have someone meet them for their first day out and about in Singapore, help them get the lay of the land. And they'll be fine on their own after that first day assisted.

Can anyone recommend a private guide for Singpoare?

Thanks!
Gary
I don't know of any professional private guide, but if you'd like to consider part-time ones, let me know your budget and the number of hours and whatever requirements you have, and I have friends who are willing to earn some extra cash.
Gary, if you don't find a guide, the Singapore Airline hop on hop off bus gives a great overview of the city.
Gary, you have PM!!
Hey, it depends on when they're there... I'll be happy to drive them around town and show them the sights. It may not be as detailed as a professional guide... but one of my first jobs in Singapore was that I was a tour rep working for my aunties tour company way back in the mid 70's.

Best to let the 'locals' or rather in my case, once a local, to show them round town.
Singapore is the place in Asia where you least need a tour guide. Cheap taxis that don't cheat you. English is as widely spoken as in Sweden, probably spoken by more people than in Sweden though you might have to listen carefully, lah. All the signs are in English. Lots of free tourist literature.
Private Guide wanted
My wife and I will be in Singapore in November. We arrive after almost 40 hours in transit on day one, use day two as a recovery day, see Singapore on day three and hop on a cruise on day four.

Can anyone recommend a good guide (doesn't have to be a professional) for day three. That person doesn't have to drive. My wife likes museums and shopping. I'm into sampling regional foods and wincing as she shops.
Quote: My wife and I will be in Singapore in November. We arrive after almost 40 hours in transit on day one, use day two as a recovery day, see Singapore on day three and hop on a cruise on day four.

Can anyone recommend a good guide (doesn't have to be a professional) for day three. That person doesn't have to drive. My wife likes museums and shopping. I'm into sampling regional foods and wincing as she shops.
So you need a private guide so he/she take your wife to museums and shopping and you to sample local food?
Quote: So you need a private guide so he/she take your wife to museums and shopping and you to sample local food?
We are hoping a local can show us so much more. Suggestions appreciated.
Quote: We are hoping a local can show us so much more. Suggestions appreciated.
Well, the suggestion is to do it on your own - a lot of people have done on their own and there is nothing challenging here.

I posted here, you can search, what to do in Singapore if you have 24 hours. There are a number of threads dedicated to sights and food, again if you spend some time, search more here and/or read wikivoyage/tripadvisor forums.

Singapore National museum, Asian Civilizations Musem and ArtScience museums will easily take 6-8 hours just museum time only, without travel time between and after that I am not sure anyone will have the energy for shopping.

Have to warn that in terms of 'shopping' - Singapore is hardly a bargain place. For the same stuff you see in US Amazon or at Costco, expect to pay in Singapore 3x-4x more, especially if you go to the soulless shopping district at Orchard, Tanglin Mall, Marina Bay Sands and places like that.

The only thing cheaper compared to the US is street food via hawker centers. Start your exploration from Maxwell food court, check Zion Road food court. If you have a low tolerance to spicy food, just say 'no chilli' when ordering - it will be spicy regardless (for you, not for locals).
Can anyone suggest how much cash in US dollars I need for 5 days stay in Singapore? I will be using credit card to pay for hotel stay but need some cash for other transactions in the city. Thank you for help!
Quote: Can anyone suggest how much cash in US dollars I need for 5 days stay in Singapore? I will be using credit card to pay for hotel stay but need some cash for other transactions in the city. Thank you for help!
What plans do you have? If hawker center (usually cash only) or small restaurant, plan $5-10/meal, bakery/curry puff/snacks ($5-10/day?).

MRT/bus or grab to get around? If MRT/bus, contactless credit card works ($0.60/day surcharge) or buy the transit card ($5 fee plus $2/trip, cash only).

Above in sgd currency
Jaytraveller likes this.
Quote: Can anyone suggest how much cash in US dollars I need for 5 days stay in Singapore?
$50 would be more than enough if you are planning to eat out at hawker centers daily for $10/day. If not - reduce the amount accordingly.
Jaytraveller likes this.
Quote: $50 would be more than enough if you are planning to eat out at hawker centers daily for $10/day. If not - reduce the amount accordingly.
This is helpful! Thank you for your advice!
Quote: What plans do you have? If hawker center (usually cash only) or small restaurant, plan $5-10/meal, bakery/curry puff/snacks ($5-10/day?).

MRT/bus or grab to get around? If MRT/bus, contactless credit card works ($0.60/day surcharge) or buy the transit card ($5 fee plus $2/trip, cash only).

Above in sgd currency
Thank you so much for your excellent suggestions and tips! I don't have any specific plans as yet, but petty cash will be used to buy some regional/city-specific souvenirs and such unique sundry items. We (my wife and I) would mostly eat in established eateries/restaurants and hopefully these joints will accept credit cards. We never went to Singapore before but heard that it is a desirably hygienic place and hence maybe we should also try eating out once in a while at "hawker centers", assuming that the food is reasonably safe and healthy. My son went to Singapore on a business trip from US and was raving about numerous gastronomic delights the city has to offer! Any suggestions? Thank you again for your time and help!