Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumour: SQ11 to go 77W

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Rumour: SQ11 to go 77W

I just spent a couple of hours talking with the the purser in F on SQ11.

Thanks to FT I was able to spout off all the recent changes with route cutbacks... including flight numbers and aircraft type. The purser was amazed that I knew about cutting-edge “enhancements” on SQ.

After a very long “vetting” process, he confided that this was the last time we were going to fly SQ11 on a 747.

He said the staff rosters that normally show “744” now show “77W”

Many long-term staff have been taking pictures of the 744 cabin on SQ11 because they know the aircraft will change within the next month or two.

No more award redemptions on SQ11.

I commiserated with the purser about the loss of such a great aircraft. He was deeply moved that a passenger cared as much as he did.

Then he broke the news that they had run out of Dom and only had Krug for the next hour until NRT.

Life goes on....

But I'm really grateful I was able to redeem five F awards on SQ11 in the past seven months.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:37 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by macabus
Thanks to FT I was able to spout off all the recent changes with route cutbacks... including flight numbers and aircraft type. The purser was amazed that I knew about cutting-edge “enhancements” on SQ
I commiserated with the purser about the loss of such a great aircraft. He was deeply moved that a passenger cared as much as he did.

Then he broke the news that they had run out of Dom and only had Krug for the next hour until NRT.
Krug for an hour, damm it life is getting harder
I thought I was the only one that was sorry to see the old 744s go, I find them just so comfy, all the new seats are so much harder, maybe I am starting to show my age. I do my long haul CDG flights with another as they still have the 744, keeping Sq for the local runs. Smiled when I read about chatting to the purser about all the changes, I often get into a conversation with them, and it's so true, they are amazed we know so much about the internal going ons with flight changes etc, thank god for FT, it keeps us in the know, regards bkkrop
Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:56 pm

Programs: LH M&M FT, SQ-PPS
Originally Posted by BKKROP
Krug for an hour, damm it life is getting harder
I thought I was the only one that was sorry to see the old 744s go, I find them just so comfy, all the new seats are so much harder, maybe I am starting to show my age. I do my long haul CDG flights with another as they still have the 744, keeping Sq for the local runs. Smiled when I read about chatting to the purser about all the changes, I often get into a conversation with them, and it's so true, they are amazed we know so much about the internal going ons with flight changes etc, thank god for FT, it keeps us in the know, regards bkkrop
Agree with the 744-it has some charm in flying F-
The space factor is much better than 777ER - In the 777ER the seat is only wide the rest not the seat has options more you need.I dont need a monitor big as with the 777. I need the service , space for the FA to move and sevice me. In the 777 you have to push the botton more often!! The 744 was the right fit-
In C it looks different- Here the 777ER seat is a big plus with the line up seating which needs more work/attention for the FA-So my opinion is in general for slleeeping that the 777 is better for C- pax. So for me in a F-class RTW booked last year with open segments incl. SQ is like a poker game.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.....He said the staff rosters that normally show “744” now show “77W”.....
Any idea when? GDS still shows 744 well into the year. Not trying to be skeptical but cabin crews are not usually the first to know.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:14 pm

Was this the CCE? IFS? or LS?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
This would be terrible. SQ11 was the best for F redemptions. AFAIK JFK-FRA-SIN still shows 744, but redemptions on that route are much harder using partner miles at least. With LHR-SIN losing the 744, that doesn't leave much left for those who want to sample SQ F on miles.

SQ must must must begin to permit F redemptions on the 77W!!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
It has to happen sometime within the next 12 or so months. All the JumboJets are going away.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA IK, HGP Diamond, AA, KF, Hhonnors Gold, Carlson Gold, PC Plat, Accor Gold
I just spent a couple of hours talking with the the purser in F on SQ11.

Thanks to FT I was able to spout off all the recent changes with route cutbacks... including flight numbers and aircraft type. The purser was amazed that I knew about cutting-edge “enhancements” on SQ.

After a very long “vetting” process, he confided that this was the last time we were going to fly SQ11 on a 747.

He said the staff rosters that normally show “744” now show “77W”

Many long-term staff have been taking pictures of the 744 cabin on SQ11 because they know the aircraft will change within the next month or two.

No more award redemptions on SQ11.

Life goes on....

But I'm really grateful I was able to redeem five F awards on SQ11 in the past seven months.

Wow.. this is a good news but i am worry now.. I have an award flight in May 09 for SQ 11 in F. Do you think they will still keep the award passenger in F class or will they bump me down to C class?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:33 pm

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
If your reservation has been ticketed prior to the equipment change then they will honour your reservation in the original class of service.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zvezda
It has to happen sometime within the next 12 or so months. All the JumboJets are going away.
I concur! However, cabin crews are rostered for the next two months, at most. This implies the downgauge is in March/April. I am skeptical.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:47 pm

I don't think the eqpt swap will be any time soon. There are no free 77Ws to be deployed on the SQ12/11 route at the moment unless SQ wants to cancel more 77W flights. SQ308/319 will go 77W wef 29MAR. My guess is wait after SQ334/333 goes 388.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nick C
I don't think the eqpt swap will be any time soon. There are no free 77Ws to be deployed on the SQ12/11 route at the moment unless SQ wants to cancel more 77W flights.....
+1.

I think this is a breaking news for late 2009. It will happen, but not in March/April 2009.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 7:10 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
If this is true, this is great maybe. I have only flown SQ in C on the 777 Regional and 747. Never flown in F but am scheduled to fly F on SQ 11/12 in Sept (UA award). Happy I got my award thought casue if it is true there goes another redemption route w/ dreaded starnet blocking.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 7:17 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by rkaradi
If this is true, this is great maybe. I have only flown SQ in C on the 777 Regional and 747. Never flown in F but am scheduled to fly F on SQ 11/12 in Sept (UA award). Happy I got my award thought casue if it is true there goes another redemption route w/ dreaded starnet blocking.
Well not really Starnet blocking in this case as once the routes go to 77W or A380 all the *A FFP are blocked not just UA. Yes SQ does open it up to KF members but at outrageous redemption amounts. This excludes Suites Class.

Starnet blocking is defined as blocking by UA over certain *A flights that are available for redemption using miles from other *A FFP.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 7:27 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Well, I was about to postpone the decision to redeem my miles on SQ 11.. It appears I won't be able to savor the F onboard the 744s after all.. Poor me..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.