Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with refund

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Red face Help with refund

First sorry for my bad english. I just want to seeking some advice from all the Bro here.
Last Feb i brought two SIA tickets CGK-SIN from the representative at Jakarta airport, but too bad the tickets have flaws, the expiry date is before the return date. Now i still confused why the ticket can issued at that time ? of course i cant use my ticket on my return leg SIN-CGK. After that i can only brought two one way Valuair tickets back to CGK. I try to call the SIA office in Jakarta at once but they just told me this is the problem of their representative. But after a long investigation and waste a lot of my time, we found that actually this is the fault from SIA. Now after some negotiation they only willing to compensate around 45% of the total cost of my SIA and my one way Valuair tickets with cash plus voucher, their reason is i already used the first leg of it, they still insist this is refund not compensate. I would like to know isnt too much for me to fight for the total refund of my SIA tickets ? i will pay the one way tickets by my own.

Thanks for anyone who can give me some advice.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 4:35 am
Original Poster

SQ TALK

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6296
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:53 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The advice is likely to be the same here - you've flown half the ticket so can't get more than 50% refund.

Sorry it isn't the answer you wanted.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 6:52 am

I think it is fair to refund the unused portion only, afterall, you did fly the first sector.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asianmom
I think it is fair to refund the unused portion only, afterall, you did fly the first sector.
Thanks for your opinion. But if suppose this is the airline fault, even they fully refund half of my ticket, i need to purchase a much more expensive one way ticket back to my home city, isnt really fair ?
My case is SIA accepted refund but denied compensation finally, they rejected my simple solution is request only a new date one way ticket with same route.

Last edited by ronaldko; Feb 14, 2009 at 10:12 am
Old Feb 14, 2009, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by ronaldko
Thanks for your opinion. But if suppose this is the airline fault, even they fully refund half of my ticket, i need to purchase a much more expensive one way ticket back to my home city, isnt really fair ?
My case is SIA accepted refund but denied compensation finally, they rejected my simple solution is request only a new date one way ticket with same route.
Actually in all fairness, SQ already compensated you the value of your ticket on the other airline which you had to purchase. They could have just said , here is your refund. Yes there was an error on the return, which you cannot use. SQ in this case, did you a favour by refunding what was probably a nonrefundable, highly restrictive ticket. Yeah you bought Valuair's much more expensive oneway ticket, but SQ paid you for that as you said, "cash plus voucher".

In my opinion, and others may/may not agree, that is more than what SQ would do normally. What more do you want from SQ then? If you're not happy with the refund, don't tell us.

You can of course file a claim against SQ amd sue them. And good luck!

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Feb 14, 2009 at 3:45 pm
Old Feb 15, 2009, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Actually in all fairness, SQ already compensated you the value of your ticket on the other airline which you had to purchase. They could have just said , here is your refund. Yes there was an error on the return, which you cannot use. SQ in this case, did you a favour by refunding what was probably a nonrefundable, highly restrictive ticket. Yeah you bought Valuair's much more expensive oneway ticket, but SQ paid you for that as you said, "cash plus voucher".

In my opinion, and others may/may not agree, that is more than what SQ would do normally. What more do you want from SQ then? If you're not happy with the refund, don't tell us.

You can of course file a claim against SQ amd sue them. And good luck!
I see! Maybe im too naive to think that not only i can recover my cost, or this is too greedy for me to think they will even compensate for any inconvenient caused on me ? Also thanks for your information on this is SIA normal practice and they are generous enough already. Maybe i will think twice before to choose SQ in the future.

Please note their final offer only total US452 cash plus voucher until now, the SQ tickets cost me US780 and Valuair tickets cost US195, then isnt mean US585 is the most i can claim ?

Last edited by ronaldko; Feb 15, 2009 at 10:28 am
Old Feb 15, 2009, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.... Maybe im too naive to think that not only i can recover my cost, but this is too greedy for me to think they will even compensate for any inconvenient caused on me. Also thanks for your information on this is SIA normal practice and they are generous enough already. Maybe i will think twice before to choose SQ in the future.

Please note their final offer only total US452 cash plus voucher until now, the SQ tickets cost me US780 and Valuair tickets cost US195, then isnt mean US585 is the most i can claim ?
Since you bought had bought the tickets with a travel agency and not directly with SQ themselves, you should have contacted the travel agency before you returned to Indonesia. Or at least highlighted the situation of the fact with an SQ office in Singapore. But you waited almost a year to bring the matter up.

I don't see how a travel agency issued ticket becomes the fault of SQ when they issued it. But it seems that SQ took responsibility for it. Question: What is this 'plus voucher' you keep mentioning?

Without seeing the actual ticket and knowing what really happened is difficult for anyone to justify your cause to ask for more 'compensation'. You did not get abandoned in a foreign country with war, you did not lose anything of personal value, you did not suffer emotionally, you were not made to feel publically humiliated. You only lost some time.

Chalk it up to experience and move on.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 6:03 am

I was so baffled by this thread that I actually linked onto SQTALK to read the whole story, which left me even more intrigued. Yeah, how can a ticket issued by an agent become the fault of the airline? Fare rules are printed very clearly on the tickets. I myself have had a fair share of misfortune when it comes to air travel, and I can understand how frustrating it can be but in all honesty, I think 45 percent is a reasonable 'compensation' already, do keep in mind that a one way ticket cost way more than round trip. You'll get the same treatment in any other Asian airlines, I'm sure. The treatment you got from the SQ office in Jakarta, however, is quite shabby, and I would say to direct your future contact to the Singapore office instead.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Since you bought had bought the tickets with a travel agency and not directly with SQ themselves, you should have contacted the travel agency before you returned to Indonesia. Or at least highlighted the situation of the fact with an SQ office in Singapore. But you waited almost a year to bring the matter up.

I don't see how a travel agency issued ticket becomes the fault of SQ when they issued it. But it seems that SQ took responsibility for it. Question: What is this 'plus voucher' you keep mentioning?

Without seeing the actual ticket and knowing what really happened is difficult for anyone to justify your cause to ask for more 'compensation'. You did not get abandoned in a foreign country with war, you did not lose anything of personal value, you did not suffer emotionally, you were not made to feel publically humiliated. You only lost some time.

Chalk it up to experience and move on.
I need to clarify this travel agent was the agent of the SIA representative in Jakarta airport. Both of the parties already confirmed the error was cause by the system from SQ not their agent. US100 was part of the refund.

Please refer to my whole story on previous SQ TALK link.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Feb 15, 2009 at 6:35 pm Reason: Wrong person quoted
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asianmom
I was so baffled by this thread that I actually linked onto SQTALK to read the whole story, which left me even more intrigued. Yeah, how can a ticket issued by an agent become the fault of the airline? Fare rules are printed very clearly on the tickets. I myself have had a fair share of misfortune when it comes to air travel, and I can understand how frustrating it can be but in all honesty, I think 45 percent is a reasonable 'compensation' already, do keep in mind that a one way ticket cost way more than round trip. You'll get the same treatment in any other Asian airlines, I'm sure. The treatment you got from the SQ office in Jakarta, however, is quite shabby, and I would say to direct your future contact to the Singapore office instead.
My original itinerary is over one month but they sold me a one month ticket that make me feel i pay this rate for a one year ticket, thats mean expiry date before my return date, but funny thing is they still can get this ticket issued, even i can print out from my Krisflyer a/c.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My original itinerary is over one month but they sold me a one month ticket that make me feel i pay this rate for a one year ticket, thats mean expiry date before my return date, but funny thing is they still can get this ticket issued, even i can print out from my Krisflyer a/c.
Ok. Now it makes more sense... you bought a one year ticket but they sold you a one month ticket hence your return date from Singapore is after the expiry of the ticket.

Of course the ticket can still be issued, as its all manually keyed in for ticket issue. A full fare one year ticket isn't going to be the amount your paid, trust me.

In any case, the error was done by the agent at CGK airport. I know of no such representative of any agency at the airport, ie if its a ticketing agent, it would be SQ staff. So, again, you should have brought this matter up with the agent/agency who issued you the ticket before you returned to Indonesia. There would have been records regarding your ticket somewhere. And SQ would in Singapore would have been able to reissue you a correct ticket for your return.

But I am sorry , I agree with everyone here. Yes it was inconvenient, but you had already used one way of the ticket. And SQ agreed to refund your other half. For any other sort of compensation, I am afraid SQ may not budge anymore than this. You *may* be able to wrangle some Krisflyer miles instead as you had to travel on Valuair on your return hence you couldn't use your return ticket, but thats about it .

I will be very surprised if SQ really would offer you anything more.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Feb 15, 2009 at 6:39 pm
Old Feb 15, 2009, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Ok. Now it makes more sense... you bought a one year ticket but they sold you a one month ticket hence your return date from Singapore is after the expiry of the ticket.

Of course the ticket can still be issued, as its all manually keyed in for ticket issue. A full fare one year ticket isn't going to be the amount your paid, trust me.

In any case, the error was done by the agent at CGK airport. I know of no such representative of any agency at the airport, ie if its a ticketing agent, it would be SQ staff. So, again, you should have brought this matter up with the agent/agency who issued you the ticket before you returned to Indonesia. There would have been records regarding your ticket somewhere. And SQ would in Singapore would have been able to reissue you a correct ticket for your return.

But I am sorry , I agree with everyone here. Yes it was inconvenient, but you had already used one way of the ticket. And SQ agreed to refund your other half. For any other sort of compensation, I am afraid SQ may not budge anymore than this. You *may* be able to wrangle some Krisflyer miles instead as you had to travel on Valuair on your return hence you couldn't use your return ticket, but thats about it .

I will be very surprised if SQ really would offer you anything more.
Thanks for your advice. Im only disappointed even SIA is same with some low cost airline when going to this point.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:12 am

A low cost airline might not even refund you anything at all.

And I think the general agreement is that SIA has been fair to you in this case. The treatment at the SIA office in Jakarta was regretful though.

But shouldn't you bear some part of the responsibility yourself in ensuring that the ticket was a month-long/a year-long ticket. I'm not siding for SIA but I believe that the OP has some responsibility in checking the ticket to ensure there are no mistakes.

I'm sorry to say this, but the problem doesn't lie much with SIA but with your own greed maybe.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zilchster
A low cost airline might not even refund you anything at all.

And I think the general agreement is that SIA has been fair to you in this case. The treatment at the SIA office in Jakarta was regretful though.

But shouldn't you bear some part of the responsibility yourself in ensuring that the ticket was a month-long/a year-long ticket. I'm not siding for SIA but I believe that the OP has some responsibility in checking the ticket to ensure there are no mistakes.

I'm sorry to say this, but the problem doesn't lie much with SIA but with your own greed maybe.
Maybe your comment on Low Cost airline is a little bit too harsh, nowsaday i found that some of their service even on par with SIA, especially base on Asia one.

Actually at that time the SIA representative at Jakarta airport just provide me a not very clear fax e-ticket and i already confirmed with them once again with the date and the total amount. I also mentioned before i never imagine this kind of ticket can able to issued within the SIA system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.