Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines to suspend some international flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2009, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite

FYI below in case any UA flyers were planning on redeeming *A awards flights or using SIA to earn UA miles.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...0129-7sf1.html

Singapore Airlines suspends flights, cuts all-business class services
January 29, 2009

Singapore Airlines said Wednesday it will suspend some international flights as the worsening global economy takes its toll on travel demand.

Flights to India, Southeast Asia, the United States and Europe will be affected, SIA said in a statement.

"Singapore Airlines is making further adjustments to its route network to better match capacity with demand," it said.

"Where demand falls, capacity adjustments will be made and this process will continue going forward."

It said the changes will be implemented progressively and will apply until the end of March.

Flights between Singapore and the Indian city of Hyderabad will be cut to three times weekly from four, the airline said.

Service between Singapore and New Delhi will be trimmed to five times a week from six, while Mumbai-Singapore service will be cut to four times a week from five.

In Southeast Asia, two flights between Singapore and Bangkok will be suspended from February 2, although the airline said it will continue to operate 25 flights a week to and from the Thai capital.

In Europe, two flights operating between Singapore and London will be suspended on Mondays and Thursdays from March 9-23. The frequency on the Singapore-London route will be cut to 19 flights a week from 21.

Services between Singapore and Zurich will be reduced from daily to five times a week, SIA said.

At the same time, it said it would add some services to the Middle East.

Earlier Wednesday, SIA said it was reducing its all-business class service to New York and Los Angeles in the face of the global economic downturn.

The 14 weekly Airbus A345 flights will be cut to 10, it said, adding the change will initially take effect between February 17 and March 25.

"This is part of our capacity adjustments to ensure capacity better matches demand during the economic downturn," SIA's vice president of public affairs, Stephen Forshaw, said in a statement.

"We don't want to be flying half-empty planes around the world any longer than we have to, because it increases our cost burden at a time when we can least afford that."

The non-stop all-business service to New York began in May last year, followed by Los Angeles in August.

SIA said its December passenger numbers were down 7.5 per cent year-on-year.

Analysts have said the airline industry will be hit hard by the deepening global economic slump which has seen people cut back on discretionary spending such as leisure travel.

Airlines based in the Asia Pacific region carried 141.5 million international passengers in 2008, or 1.8 per cent fewer than record levels in 2007, an industry group said last week.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 3:01 am

Programs: UA 1K
Wow.... that's pretty steep cut.

Maybe SQ should lease some of their unused airplanes to UA and put them in good use.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 3:05 am

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Flights to India are being cut due to a dispute with TA's. SQ recently withdrew all commissions to TA's in India. This has resulted in a boycott of SQ bookings by many TA's in India, causing a big drop in load factors.

Unlike some other countries, most int'l travel in India is still booked through TA's.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
The dropping of a Thursday LHR-SIN flight is not very good for FTers in terms of *A redemptions.

It has affected my plans.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by beanex
Wow.... that's pretty steep cut.

Maybe SQ should lease some of their unused airplanes to UA and put them in good use.
Mr Lainys asks that if UA takes on SQ planes could they please be staffed with SQ girls? BIG from Mr Lainys as I type this post.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Any cuts to flights to the Middle East?
Old Jan 30, 2009, 9:05 am

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Any cuts to flights to the Middle East?
Well, from what I've heard, they're increasing flights to Abu Dhabi, so no?
Old Jan 30, 2009, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Routing to CAI via DBX also instead of CAI non stop.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:56 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Probably posted elsewhere, but SQ stops all service to Amritsar in February.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
Flights to India are being cut due to a dispute with TA's. SQ recently withdrew all commissions to TA's in India. This has resulted in a boycott of SQ bookings by many TA's in India, causing a big drop in load factors.

Unlike some other countries, most int'l travel in India is still booked through TA's.
Most travel in asia are still booked through travel agents too. Doesn't matter if TAs boycott SQ. If a client wants to travel SQ, the agent can't say no, we're not selling SQ. And with a choice of either Air India or SQ from India, I believe the choice is obvious.

SQ may cut the commission across the board officially, but I know SQ may still cut deals with their largest consolidators as they do in other parts of the world. Like in the USA where commissions in theory do not exist anymore, SQ has some special commission structures in place for some preferred travel agencies. And SQ isn't alone in this. Other airlines will dangle some commission sweetener if they want a slice of the pie too.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 2:20 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Most travel in asia are still booked through travel agents too. Doesn't matter if TAs boycott SQ. If a client wants to travel SQ, the agent can't say no, we're not selling SQ.
Yes, they can - they were having a meeting in BOM yesterday - I spoke with my TA to ticket an LH itinerary, but he was there...

And with a choice of either Air India or SQ from India, I believe the choice is obvious.
Don't forget Jet - I would rather fly Jet than SQ - I'm (and have, as much as possible) boycotting SQ because of their "high and mighty" attitude, always.

They even had the gonads to state that they (SIN HQ, *who* knew the conditions prevailing at SIN) were not responsible for some damage to my luggage recently - absolutely amazing - even LH is better regarding such matters! (LH ^)
Old Jan 31, 2009, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most travel in asia are still booked through travel agents too. Doesn't matter if TAs boycott SQ. If a client wants to travel SQ, the agent can't say no, we're not selling SQ. And with a choice of either Air India or SQ from India, I believe the choice is obvious.

SQ may cut the commission across the board officially, but I know SQ may still cut deals with their largest consolidators as they do in other parts of the world. Like in the USA where commissions in theory do not exist anymore, SQ has some special commission structures in place for some preferred travel agencies. And SQ isn't alone in this. Other airlines will dangle some commission sweetener if they want a slice of the pie too.
GB you are wrong. I know that the TA's there will tell the customer that Jet has better prices and that is how they will sell non SQ tickets. They do not need to say that they won't sell SQ tkts.

I think when in Rome do what the Romans do, so SQ should do just that, to keep its reputation intact.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I think when in Rome do what the Romans do, so SQ should do just that, to keep its reputation intact.
Its reputation as arrogant is intact.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVP, TK Gold, Bonvoy Titatium
Originally Posted by why fly
Its reputation as arrogant is intact.
Yes, I am so waiting for this financial turmoil to teach SQ a lesson for being arrogant.

Price high - If you are not rich enough then don't consider flying with us.

Unfavorable PPS changes - If you don't pay us at least S$ 25000 within one calendar year, then you are not our 'valuable' client.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lky001
Unfavorable PPS changes - If you don't pay us at least S$ 25000 within one calendar year, then you are not our 'valuable' client.
What's the difference? I've been a PPS member for the past five years and I am STILL trying to figure out what it gives me. Other than the annual duty free vouchers, I haven't found one thing that PPS does for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.