Wiki Posts
Search

*A awards vs SQ-only awards

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
*A awards vs SQ-only awards

Since SQ revised their award chart (eliminating 15% discount for online bookings and increasing mileage required but eliminating fuel surcharges) - I am wondering if using SQ points to book *A awards is better value (less miles required).

I have the following questions:-

1. Do *A award incur fuel surcharges ?

2. Do SQ segments on a *A award have the same availability as an SQ-only award?

3. Can I book an online SQ only award then change it to a *A award by calling and adding one addition *A segment; e.g. book SYD-SIN-FRA then call and add FRA-xxx on LH (say) - I should then get a refund of 15,000 points (and pay any additional taxes).

4. I've noticed a number of post where people have reported difficulty booking *A awards as the SQ call centre does not seem to "see" available award seats on other *A airlines - is this a real issue or just a case of inexperienced staff?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:41 am

I don't have much experience booking *A awards, but here's what I've gathered from this forum

1) If the operating carrier charges fuel surcharge

2) It should

3) You'd risk incurring the change fee, or even re-ticketing (ie cancel fee).

4) No one really knows, until one need to call a few times and get the "seen" award space. I did once that agent 1 sees the space, then when I want to book, agent 2 does not see them. Calling back immediately, agent 3 does see the award space, not *A, just partner award. Reports are that different airlines get different inventories, thus what you "see" might not be available to KF members.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by pschafer
I have the following questions:-

1. Do *A award incur fuel surcharges ?

2. Do SQ segments on a *A award have the same availability as an SQ-only award?

3. Can I book an online SQ only award then change it to a *A award by calling and adding one addition *A segment; e.g. book SYD-SIN-FRA then call and add FRA-xxx on LH (say) - I should then get a refund of 15,000 points (and pay any additional taxes).

4. I've noticed a number of post where people have reported difficulty booking *A awards as the SQ call centre does not seem to "see" available award seats on other *A airlines - is this a real issue or just a case of inexperienced staff?
I have now booked the following award for 2 persons in business class:

SYD-SIN-MLE on SQ (stopover) MLE-IST-STR (Stuttgart on TK) // STR (LH)-MUC-SIN-SYD (SQ) for 380,000 points and $AUD1600 in taxes (for 2 persons).

I found the following:-

1. Clearly the taxes are very high - more than I expected but alternatives (using 3 one-way awards) would have cost many more points.

2. SQ segments on a *A award had the same availability as SQ-only award

3. I could not change my previous SQ award to a *A award - needed to cancel the old one.

4. Agent was very knowledgeable about booking *A award and had no issue finding award seats.

Thought others might find this useful as there's not much information on this forum about using SQ to book *A awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.