Search

Advice on SQ F award redemption

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Advice on SQ F award redemption

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on booking a SQ F award from US to MNL for two people (heading to our wedding!). We want to fly anytime the first week of April 2018 and willing to leave from SFO, LAX or JFK (we are west-coast based but JFK is the obvious preference as we would love to book the suites).

We have Chase UR points we will transfer to SQ - are we better off booking the award for two from a single krisflyer account or from separate accounts? I'm guessing we will have to waitlist and a single account might be better?

As for waitlisting - if we waitlist at 355 days out does these award tend to be confirmable far in advance? I read through recent posts in the waitlist forum and it seems things tend to become available close in but obviously we want a confirmed booking for our wedding! I don't want to waitlist and hope that it will clear 2 weeks ahead of time. Right now nothing is even showing available for WL at the end of the schedule - hopefully that's just due to the devaluation kicking in tomorrow.

If a month of two goes by and waitlist isn't confirmed but business class is available - can we book and switch to F if it becomes available close in? (all very hypothetical).

I'm a oneworld flyer- so not too familiar with sq policies, trends etc. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! I am nervous about transferring so many points to SQ and the award falling through.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Regarding switching to J later: Yes. I have done it. Waitlist F first then confirm J. You can cancel the J ticket and redeposit the miles for your F ticket if it becomes available later. I suggest waitlisting all the flights that would work for your schedule.

Assuming SQ does not fly any planes with F to MNL (I havn't checked) you will need to make a mixed class booking over the phone. Don't take any nonsense from the helpdesk about pricing it as two awards!

And good luck!

Last edited by w4rd; Mar 22, 2017 at 7:01 pm Reason: Added good luck! :)
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Not sure how it will be in 2018, but currently SQ still have one daily flight with an F cabin SIN-MNL-SIN, so there is no need for a mixed award.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
Not sure how it will be in 2018, but currently SQ still have one daily flight with an F cabin SIN-MNL-SIN, so there is no need for a mixed award.
Cool, thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:52 pm

I did same routing JFK-MNL in Suites. However... SIN-MNL F saver is always WL.
if you are not in a rush wait around, otherwise i did immediate confirmation on J. Pricing will be based on O saver from JFK-MNL still.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by w4rd
Regarding switching to J later: Yes. I have done it. Waitlist F first then confirm J. You can cancel the J ticket and redeposit the miles for your F ticket if it becomes available later. I suggest waitlisting all the flights that would work for your schedule.

Assuming SQ does not fly any planes with F to MNL (I havn't checked) you will need to make a mixed class booking over the phone. Don't take any nonsense from the helpdesk about pricing it as two awards!

And good luck!

If it is booked under one award ticket but different class on the two legs, how would it be priced in terms of miles?

Last edited by hwsv07; Mar 22, 2017 at 9:40 pm
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by hwsv07
If it is booked under one award ticket but different class on the two legs, how would it be priced in terms of miles?
You would pay the F price.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by terbangalways
I did same routing JFK-MNL in Suites. However... SIN-MNL F saver is always WL.
if you are not in a rush wait around, otherwise i did immediate confirmation on J. Pricing will be based on O saver from JFK-MNL still.
Do you mean you confirmed the whole trip JFK-MNL in J or just the SIN-MNL segment in J? I don't care what the SIN-MNL segment is in if the JFK-SIN segments are in suites.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

And good luck!
If I waitlist F and confirm J - do I need to have miles in my account for both J award (confirmed) and F award (waitlisted)? I was under the impression you needed the miles in the account in order to waitlist an award?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by britz
If I waitlist F and confirm J - do I need to have miles in my account for both J award (confirmed) and F award (waitlisted)? I was under the impression you needed the miles in the account in order to waitlist an award?
You need miles to initially waitlist, but not to hold it.
So start by waitlisting your first choice(s) then confirm a backup J. If the waitlist clears phone up the helpdesk to cancel the confirmed booking, redeposit your miles and immediately confirm the waitlist as one transaction. You'll pay a small fee ($30 approx) and any difference in taxes.

I have only done this exSIN where it was straightforward. From other threads here I have read that you may take a forex risk if your origin is elsewhere, but the process seems to be the same.

Last edited by w4rd; Mar 22, 2017 at 10:45 pm Reason: clarified redepositing miles
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

You need miles to initially waitlist, but not to hold it.
So start by waitlisting your first choice(s) then confirm a backup J. If the waitlist clears phone up the helpdesk to cancel the confirmed booking, redeposit your miles and immediately confirm the waitlist as one transaction. You'll pay a small fee ($30 approx) and any difference in taxes.

I have only done this exSIN where it was straightforward. From other threads here I have read that you may take a forex risk if your origin is elsewhere, but the process seems to be the same.
Awesome - thank you! I don't really care about the forex - I can't imagine it's much, especially with the increase in miles and decrease in fuel surcharge.

Since we'd obviously prefer the suites and are flexible over about a week- does it seem to risky to waitlist only the JFK-MNL flights? Or is availability scarce enough that we would be best off waitlisting SFO and LAX departures as well?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I have had horrible experience with agents claiming I needed to book 2 awards if there is a downgraded leg (over 4 hours on the phone and still didn't win) Also does this not involve backtracking? (I don't know but lax-bkk is not bookable b/c it has to book through sin) - maybe b/c mnl is ?further west it is okay?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by estnet
I have had horrible experience with agents claiming I needed to book 2 awards if there is a downgraded leg (over 4 hours on the phone and still didn't win) Also does this not involve backtracking? (I don't know but lax-bkk is not bookable b/c it has to book through sin) - maybe b/c mnl is ?further west it is okay?
I'm assuming if it shows up on Singapore air website as able to waitlist first or book in business from either sfo, lax and JFK that means it's available. Technically there's no backtracking from JFK, just the long way to the Philippines from the west coast .

Last edited by britz; Mar 23, 2017 at 10:50 am
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:55 am
Original Poster

I'm seeing good availability as the schedule opens for JFK-FRA-SIN (i.e.: bookable not waitlist). But theres is a ~5 day delay in JFK-FRA-SIN-MNL showing as waitlist. If I am seeing the first part bookable online if I call will an agent be able to waitlist the SIN-MNL segment even though I can't do it online? Or should I just take the Suites part and forget about the last segment?

I know I'm the only one that can really answer these questions - just wondering if there is something I am missing/ not aware of as this is my first time booking an award on SQ.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: KF
If i were you, i forgot SIN-MNL in F since its just 3 hours flight and its not even suites, doesnt make any big difference than J. Call Krisflyer and booked mixed class, JFk-FRA-SIN in F, and SIN-MNL in J. At least you dont need to worry if the waitlist doesnt clears.

Last edited by wanderer9020; Apr 13, 2017 at 11:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.