Wiki Posts
Search

Will SQ let me take an earlier flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2017, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Will SQ let me take an earlier flight?

Hello -

I have an "I" class business award issued on UA 016 ticket stock DPS-SIN.
The flight departs at 9:45pm.

There is no "I" available on the earlier 8:05pm.

If I am at the airport in DPS and there are unsold seats in business (any fare bucket such as J), will the SQ staff at DPS let me go on the earlier flight?

Thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Occasionally, at outstations, some people have reported SQ letting passengers take earlier flights when they show up to the airport early enough.

SQ doesn't appear to have formal policies on this, which makes it up to the discretion of the SQ staff handling check-in.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Highly unlikely. SQ has no "standby policy" that the OP may be used to from the US (hence the Q about taking earlier flight).

But give it a try, but don't expect anything - it can not be excluded that you will be positively surprised, but if you expect to be allowed to get on the earlier flight, you are very likely to get disappointed.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
I tried once on an Avianca issues award ticket and they wanted USD 75 for the change but were happy to do.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. There are several seats in J but I'm concerned Y is overbooked and they might need those seats for rollovers to prevent denied boardings.

If anyone can check loads, it's SQ947 Feb 5 DPS-SIN.

Thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
It could be a possibility. SQ definitely allow it at some short haul stations. i've flown on earlier flights at BKK, CGK and MNL. Once at MNL they even did at gate because checkin was closed (hand luggage only), and at BKK on one occasion it was suggested to me not to bother waiting around to see if I could get on as there were 12 people ahead of me on standby for that flight. These were all E booking class in economy.

Not sure what the situation is at Bali or for I class, but worth trying.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SQ 947 02/05/17 8:05 PM - 02/05/17 10:40 PM
z4 c4 j0 u0 d0 y0 b0 e0 m0 h0 w0 q0 l0
Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:58 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
They have if seats are available . Also last minute no shows ( even after online check in ! ) which happens more frequently in some destinations .
But may have to pay difference in fare depending on ticket type .
Old Feb 5, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by chisquared
Occasionally, at outstations, some people have reported SQ letting passengers take earlier flights when they show up to the airport early enough.
I managed to get on an earlier flight out of Perth to SIN in May-2017, flying J with SQ Elite Gold status (can't remember exact booking class, but it wasn't a redemption).

I got to the airport much earlier than I planned, noticed an earlier flight about to go, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Check-in woman had to go and consult first, but it was OKed.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The issue is here that the OP is on a UA award; carriers hesitate/refuse to touch award tickets, in particular when on other ticket stock than their own. Most likely the OP will be referred to contact UA for rebooking if he/she want's to get on the earlier flight.

Had this been a revenue ticket (on SQ ticket stock) the prospects were far better.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

I asked at the check in desk. The agent smiled, made a quick phone call, and put me on the earlier flight.

They told me they couldn't guarantee a meal and asked me to sign a waiver but onboard it was no problem.

Guess I got lucky especially as previous poster indicated it was a 016 UA issued ticket and there were J but no I seats open.

I won't count on this happening again. I was glad it did though. The relatively new DPS lounge is already is already pretty beat up.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by chuck1
Guess I got lucky especially as previous poster indicated it was a 016 UA issued ticket and there were J but no I seats open.
Glad it worked out for you, I am not surprised that you were lucky, at least at an outstation.

Once the airport has control of the flight, and you are at the airport, anything is possible, there is no need to go back to original reserving agent to move you, it all depends on airline policies. It is worth noting from other discussions I've read over the years, this sort of thing seems more problematic and more difficult to do at SIN, than at outstations.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the feedback. Wow, I'm surprised that you got on the earlier flight. Sorry for being pessimistic in earlier posts, but I was pretty confident that your request would be denied in line with SQ policy.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Glad it worked, certainly not a given. The DPS lounge was beat up a few weeks after the airport opened, now it is just gross and we don't even use if even id entitled. Roaches scurrying around (near the massage room), super stained seats and some questionable food items - no thanks.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Out of curiosity, does anyone know whether SQ would allow a passenger travelling in Suites SIN-SYD to board an earlier flight in the same cabin if there happened to be availability? This hypothetically would offer a chance (however remote) of switching off of the redeye flight SQ231 to something a little bit earlier. Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.