Search

Requesting an APD Refund

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Requesting an APD Refund

Hello folks,

I figured the outcome of this might be of interest to y'all. As you know, when you depart from the UK (except Northern Ireland, because reasons) you need to pay Her Majesty a significant air passenger duty (100s of dollars usually to long-haul destinations). I'm sure y'all know it's not due on flight connections under 24h.

The current state of thinking (from the bloggers mostly [1]) is that a single ticket is not required and that if you book two separate tickets with a <24h connection in the UK you can request a refund of the APD from the airline you paid it to. I've got one of these separate-ticket itineraries coming up, and KrisFlyer collected my APD, and as you might imagine, I'd love it back.

Anyone have some success with this in the past? I'm sure this isn't a request they get every day. I'll follow up back here with any outcome.

My current plan is to fly as booked, then forward them itinerary documents and scans of the boarding passes.

[1] http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....departure-tax/

[edit] NOTE: It is possible this can't be done, so I'm mostly checking if someone's done this before. I know BA won't do it but that's hardly surprising, though AA and UA appear to take care of it quickly and easily.

Last edited by arcticbull; Jan 24, 2017 at 6:47 am
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are at least 10 other threads on the same topic unless they have been merged and contain the specific provision. You should do a search and then follow the instructions.

For what it is worth, the issue is not about a "connection" but about "conjunction tickets." That has a very specific legal meaning under UK tax law and you can determine whether the ticketing arrangements you propose will meet the requirements to either request a refund or avoid the tax in the first instance.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:47 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
There have been a few anecdotes of airlines refunding on separate tickets, however this is not in accordance with the law which requires flights to be on one ticket or conjunction tickets to be exempt from APD:

The connected flights must be detailed on the same ticket or conjunction tickets to qualify for the exemption. Tickets can only be regarded as conjunction tickets if:

a. they are in one booklet, or

b. where they are in separate booklets:

each refers to the other and states that they are to be read in conjunction

there is a summary of the flights constituting the passengers journey including the flights in question
Although the flights may meet all the other criteria for determining whether 2 flights are connected, they will only qualify for the exemption if the connection is evidenced on the ticket or a flight summary.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nected-flights
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
There are at least 10 other threads on the same topic unless they have been merged and contain the specific provision. You should do a search and then follow the instructions.

For what it is worth, the issue is not about a "connection" but about "conjunction tickets." That has a very specific legal meaning under UK tax law and you can determine whether the ticketing arrangements you propose will meet the requirements to either request a refund or avoid the tax in the first instance.
Right, I found the combined thread however no specific mention of SQ in there, unless I found the wrong one, and given it appears (regardless of what the provision says exactly) up to the ticketing airlines' discretion I figured I'd ask. I did notice the conjunction tickets requirement, but reality and specification don't always align thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I'm curious about this. Has SQ been able to refund UK APD? Might need to fly MAN-IAH but the segment to MAN is not available on an award.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by nux
There have been a few anecdotes of airlines refunding on separate tickets, however this is not in accordance with the law which requires flights to be on one ticket or conjunction tickets to be exempt from APD:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nected-flights
Wonder which archaic person wrote the law? Paper tickets have been long phased out in the industry, yet the law still referred to "booklets".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.