Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Pair seats on the A380 Upper Deck - available for selection ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Hello everybody,
I'm so glad I found you ! I am trying to book a flight SIN-SYD on an A380 and each time I try, the pair seats on the upper deck appear as taken (and blocked on ExpertFlyer). And then I found this post:
Originally Posted by Mlee888
96 hours before the Sin-Syd flight, the seat map will open up. Only the front of cabin seats and the pair seats remain blocked for status members but you should be able to sit together. Just have to time it correct (time difference also).
Please, tell me, is it true ? If I'm a non-status passenger, those seats (71-82 AC/HK) will never be available to me, even 96 hours before the flight ?!
Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by micazina
Hello everybody,
I'm so glad I found you ! I am trying to book a flight SIN-SYD on an A380 and each time I try, the pair seats on the upper deck appear as taken (and blocked on ExpertFlyer). And then I found this post:

Please, tell me, is it true ? If I'm a non-status passenger, those seats (71-82 AC/HK) will never be available to me, even 96 hours before the flight ?!
Yes! Some of those seats will open up, even for non status. Why else would I say otherwise?

Seats are blocked until then to allow families / friends a chance to sit together with premium locations (first few rows / bassinets / exit rows) kept blocked for status holders / folks with babies.

Although the preferred seating (ones you have to pay extra for, think row 71 and one near back) remain available for purchase only, log on t-96 and you will have an extended number of seats to choose from. There will be options for you to take window seats, just have to be quicker than anyone else who already knows this and also wants a pairing seat.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the clear explanation and advice, now I know what to do: be quick ! Sorry, I forgot to mention in my post that we are a family - 2 of us on the upper deck, 2 on the main. Do you think the FAs will let me go visit my parents on the main deck (and stretch my legs at the same time) ? I've never flown an A380, I don't even know where the stairs are
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
The back staircase is normally open on the A380 with Economy cabin upstairs (some have a different layout). Its quite good for leg stretching.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:44 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Wouldn't it be better to sit together on the lower deck? That way you wont be disturbing others to talk with your parents, and also no need to wait for fasten seat belt sign to be turned off.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Wouldn't it be better to sit together on the lower deck? That way you wont be disturbing others to talk with your parents, and also no need to wait for fasten seat belt sign to be turned off.
Why not sit together on upper deck also?

By t-96 the seat selection will open up and if quick enough they should have some options to be together one way or the other.

If OP is concerned at them walking up the stairs when entering flight, don't be. The entrance to flight has one designed for upper deck and another for lower. There will be no requirement to walk up or down any stairs.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions and help ! I will try to get us 4 seats on the upper deck, if my parents won't have to walk up and down the stairs - it was my concern, indeed, as Mlee888 guessed
Thank you for the belt tip, Kiwi Flyer, I would never have thought of that

Originally Posted by w4rd
The back staircase is normally open on the A380 with Economy cabin upstairs (some have a different layout). Its quite good for leg stretching.
Do you mean it's blocked on the all-bussiness-upper-deck A380s ? They won't let me stretch my legs ?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:23 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Mlee888
If OP is concerned at them walking up the stairs when entering flight, don't be. The entrance to flight has one designed for upper deck and another for lower. There will be no requirement to walk up or down any stairs.
In general yes, but at least a dozen times I've had to use the stairs to enter/leave the upper deck on boarding/disembarking due to problems with the airbridge or getting a remote stand (yes this can happen even with A380).
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:29 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by micazina
Thank you all for your suggestions and help ! I will try to get us 4 seats on the upper deck, if my parents won't have to walk up and down the stairs - it was my concern, indeed, as Mlee888 guessed
Thank you for the belt tip, Kiwi Flyer, I would never have thought of that

Do you mean it's blocked on the all-bussiness-upper-deck A380s ? They won't let me stretch my legs ?
Its been a long time since I flew on that layout so maybe someone can correct me, but I believe the stairs are sealed with an impenetrable tape. I cannot imagine SQ wants Y passengers breaking into the J lavatories upstairs.
You still have a lot of aisle to run up and down downstairs though!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by w4rd
Its been a long time since I flew on that layout so maybe someone can correct me, but I believe the stairs are sealed with an impenetrable tape. I cannot imagine SQ wants Y passengers breaking into the J lavatories upstairs.
You still have a lot of aisle to run up and down downstairs though!
On the all upper deck J A380 it is blocked at the end. Y pax cannot come up the stairs but J can go down.

The version where you have Y at the back you can walk up and down to stretch if you ask staff (if there is tape to stop you from entering).

I'm sure Kiwi is correct as it will happen time to time but I have flown A380 quite a number of times (all upper deck) and I've never had a problem with the exit procedure. This includes at Sydney and Singapore.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Thank you all, guys, for your time and effort in replying ^ Now I know what to expect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.