Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ a350 IFE 'HUD' display Q

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP Plat MM, *G;Global Entry; Hertz, Budget; Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
Question SQ a350 IFE 'HUD' display Q

flew SQ's a350 for the first time yesterday KUL-SIN

I quite like the IFE 'HUD' display (My flight) with the 'window seat' option that also shows a HUD like set of flight instruments.

There was one indicator which I could not make sense of

It looked something like

<--
nn |
V

ie two arrows (one left, one down) and a number (which varied from 15 through 23 throughout the flight, initially going up then down again)
I have not found any explanation of what this instruments is to represent.

I was a bit disappointed that when the plane banked the display did not indicate that but stayed level, and that it always showed as if at altitude (ie, before takeff and while landing the display of the scenery in the background was always from a highviewpoint).but the other instruments etc seemed to work fine. All that was missing was additional traffic (other planes) and maybe weather (storm cells etc) being indicated.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Usually, an indication like that would be the head/tail and cross components of the calculated wind vector.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:13 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by matjes

I was a bit disappointed that when the plane banked the display did not indicate that but stayed level, and that it always showed as if at altitude (ie, before takeff and while landing the display of the scenery in the background was always from a highviewpoint).but the other instruments etc seemed to work fine. All that was missing was additional traffic (other planes) and maybe weather (storm cells etc) being indicated.
Well, these video systems are never connected to the actual flight control systems, so they do not know directly about bank, pitch angle, etc. All they can do is best guess about rate of turn from the changing (GPS) position of the aircraft, and if the turn is fast enough, it will miss it. As for the altitude though, that seems like something that should be knowable and simulated correctly...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.