Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed Booking for 2 Year Old Krisflyer!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and can use a hand. I tried booking a flight for my son, wife, and me using Singapore Air awards points but was somewhat surprised to find that my son's ticket cost full adult price. It's a United Airlines partner flight btw...

I was under the impression that it was usually around 20% of the normal ticket cost to book a 2 year old... am I doing something wrong here?

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to make this a cheaper option?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!
Old Oct 12, 2016, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by travvytrav
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to make this a cheaper option?
How much is the cash option anyway?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

travvytrav Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by travvytrav
I was under the impression that it was usually around 20% of the normal ticket cost to book a 2 year old... am I doing something wrong here?
Lap children (no seat) are often 10% of the full fare (not a discounted fare). 10% / 20% never works for awards. The child is occupying a seat.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:14 pm

Looks like it's only $157 bucks for the trip there (economy), and $413 on the way back in first class.

That $157 flight is pretty cheap...
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:15 pm

Firstly, a 2-year old is not considered an infant but a child. If you would book a revenue ticket the fare would be 70% of an adult ticket.
For redemptions there is no discount for children, so the same mileage would be required as for an adult.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:37 pm

2 year old is the threshold between a child and infant ticket.

Below 2 - Infant fare. No seat provided, only bassinet. 10% of full fare + taxes. No award redemption available.

Above 2 - Child ticket. 70% of full fare + taxes. Award redemption at the same rate as adults.

If your child crosses the 2 year old mark during the travels, the entire ticket is considered a child fare.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Great info guys... thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.