Wiki Posts
Search

Sq cancellation , policy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: bmi silver, ba blue
Unhappy Sq cancellation , policy?

I have a Business Class redemption booking on SQ which was a day flight SIN- LHR for two months time and they have done a cancellation on my flight and automatically rebooked me to a flight 12 hours later which I don't want. I called the call centre to rebook me on the flight for the next day as I want a day flight, they waitlist it and send to Revenue Management to confirm. Now I call back to say Im happy with this as it got confirmed from waitlist and they want to charge me a stopover fee on a Krisflyer booking for an involuntary change which they caused. Does anyone know the SQ policy as I know on British Airways moving a few days either side of a cancellation is no problem. I feel the onboard SQ product and service is excellent but the call centre is lacking in 5 star service. Thx

Last edited by boyflyer; Sep 19, 2016 at 10:15 am
Old Sep 19, 2016, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Try HUACA.

You should be able to get the fee waived due to IRROPS.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Yes HUACA. Assume you can't connect to the other day flight, as SQ has two day flights at 9am and 12:50pm
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:36 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Yes HUACA. Assume you can't connect to the other day flight, as SQ has two day flights at 9am and 12:50pm
OP can connect to the other flight (just try to read his post before posting next time), but he does not want it... So, he is picky...
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
OP can connect to the other flight (just try to read his post before posting next time), but he does not want it... So, he is picky...
Perhaps you could try reading the post next time, .... OP can indeed connect to one of the other flights, 12 hours later, but that wasn't what I was talking about in relation to connecting. As he want's a day flight. I merely pointed out there is another day flight (SQ normally has four flights a day to LHR, and two of them are day flights, 308 and 318 ...), but I presume may not be able to connect to that one, if on 318, 308 leaves almost four hours earlier so that creates connection problems.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
too bad its SIN-LHR and not LHR-SIN. EC261/2004 would kick in then.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:46 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by warakorn
too bad its SIN-LHR and not LHR-SIN. EC261/2004 would kick in then.
EC261/2004 in two months time??? Are you serious?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for advice. SQ won't say what the official schedule change/cancellation policy is and it isn't on the website. I booked this itinerary in March and its for travel in November, doing this two months before departure is inconvenient. I assume its cancelled for Commercial reasons this late in or aircraft maintenance. I love flying with SQ but I must say my experience of British Airways was so easy in comparison for a similar change. My prime annoyance is the lack of understanding of the SQ call centre staff and constant sorry and need to seek approval / authorisation. Multiple calls back and forth. The Supervisor won't speak to me and is constantly busy. Its funny cause they said I had to pay for a stopover but this schedule change has given me a 34 hour stopover which is greater than 24 hours. I just want what i had on the B777-300ER day flight with the new seats/daylight flight, even though I lost my prime front row legroom seats, Im 6ft3. HAHA & yes I am fussy & want to be treated as an individual which everyone is entitled to and SQ should have a policy for stuff like this like BA does. I won't go into detail but Im on a drug called humira for arthritis that lowers my immune system and I don't cope well with night flights. I never sleep on them. Thats why I need enough time in between flights in Singapore to rest.

Last edited by boyflyer; Sep 20, 2016 at 12:07 pm
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Either way, I arrive into London a day later than I should have, they moved me to arriving in at 05:55 and what I want arrives into London at 19:00. A great deal of hassle to move to a flight 12 hours later for a cancellation. I'll let you know how I get on. I called them Saturday to change it and its now Tuesday, they are calling me back tomorrow with an 'update,' yes 5 days later and the department who authorises this can't be telephoned , only emailed by the staff.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by boyflyer
Either way, I arrive into London a day later than I should have, they moved me to arriving in at 05:55 and what I want arrives into London at 19:00.
Push for SQ 308 then if you want to arrive that same afternoon. It's only a few hours earlier, and if you originally had 22 hr stopover, you'll still have 18 hr stopover.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Push for SQ 308 then if you want to arrive that same afternoon. It's only a few hours earlier, and if you originally had 22 hr stopover, you'll still have 18 hr stopover.
Thx for the tip. I'll see what they say tomorrow as Ive already got what suits my needs confirmed by Revenue Management and if I ask for another change, I will have to start that request process again.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Why not? We are talking about an alternative transportation under comparable transport conditions (if we talk about LHR-SIN)
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
Why not? We are talking about an alternative transportation under comparable transport conditions (if we talk about LHR-SIN)
AFAIK, OP was notified more than two weeks prior to travel, so there would not be compensation under EC261. In such case the only EC261 rule in play is right to full refund. But my understanding is that OP want's to travel, just is too picky...

If I was SQ, I would be suspicious of OP's explanations and would suspect that OP is just trying to milk out free stop-over in SIN.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:08 am
Suspended

AFAIK, OP was notified more than two weeks prior to travel, so there would not be compensation under EC261. In such case the only EC261 rule in play is right to full refund. But my understanding is that OP want's to travel, just is too picky...
It would be certainly against the FT rules to get rude, so I try to be diplomatic. I had been clarifying this issue for a dozen times in last three years.
I was not talking about compensation. I was talking about rerouting.

You have critized my statement with: EC261/2004 in two months time??? Are you serious?
If you make such a sweeping statement, I recommend to have a closer look at EC261/2004.

I read:

Article 8

Right to reimbursement or re-routing

1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered the choice between:

(a) - reimbursement within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), of the full cost of the ticket at the price at which it was bought, for the part or parts of the journey not made, and for the part or parts already made if the flight is no longer serving any purpose in relation to the passenger's original travel plan, together with, when relevant,

- a return flight to the first point of departure, at the earliest opportunity;

(b) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity; or

(c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats.

2. Paragraph 1(a) shall also apply to passengers whose flights form part of a package, except for the right to reimbursement where such right arises under Directive 90/314/EEC.

3. When, in the case where a town, city or region is served by several airports, an operating air carrier offers a passenger a flight to an airport alternative to that for which the booking was made, the operating air carrier shall bear the cost of transferring the passenger from that alternative airport either to that for which the booking was made, or to another close-by destination agreed with the passenger.
Where is there any reference to any 14 day rule? There is none. The passenger has the right to invoke article 8 c).
Of course, EC261/2004 does not apply to SQ SIN-LHR.

You statement In such case the only EC261 rule in play is right to full refund. is simply factually wrong.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:14 am
Original Poster

SQ did the change free of charge finally, it took 5 days to sort out, multiple phone calls both ways & alot of effort for something very basic & routine.

The call centre is funny, 'how may I address you Sir?' - theres a silence & gap when I reply , however you wish, I dont mind. Its like, I wasnt expecting that, what do I say next.

This service is in total contrast to when I flew Suites last year & because my meal choice wasnt loaded, I didnt care or was marginally bothered - there was so much else to choose from. Half way through the the flight , the Purser gave me a duty free voucher for about £50. I never complained or said anything to warrant this. I was like , I dont want it & he insisted I took it.

First world problems I guess. The End

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.