Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ PE ex HKG super expensive vs. ex US extremely cheap?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Why is PE ex Asia (checked HKG and SIN) so extremely expensive when compared with ex-US? I understand that there is a premium ex Asia due to better brand recognition but still?
I somewhat understand ex-SIN (home market, Singaporeans love SQ) but why ex-HKG where there is a super strong competitor with CX which offers direct flights?

E.g., ex-HKG SQ is extremely competitive with longhaul economy fares (obviously to compete with CX which offers direct flights) but the PE fares are ridiculous. Don't they even try to compete with CX on PE?
Load factors can't be that great if they sell it for cheap ex US?

From the US SQ is currently selling PE for USD 1,150 rt only!! ex HKG the price is double or even trip that!?

Am I missing something?

Source for ex US sale: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...omy-good-deal/
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Same for Europe btw. PE fares are also ridiculous.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Has anyone any thoughts on this?
Old Sep 15, 2016, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
PE isn't a particularly well-known or popular product in the US since none of our big 3 have it (yet) whereas it is quite popular in Asia (and ex-HKG both SQ and CX have PE).

This sale is likely to entice some people who ordinarily buy Y to give PE a try with the hopes that long-term it'll convert them to PE for their future travels from the US to Asia.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by GwailoSIN
Why is PE ex Asia (checked HKG and SIN) so extremely expensive when compared with ex-US? I understand that there is a premium ex Asia due to better brand recognition but still?
Simple - Price discrimination:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_discrimination

Originally Posted by Duke787
PE isn't a particularly well-known or popular product in the US since none of our big 3 have it (yet) whereas it is quite popular in Asia (and ex-HKG both SQ and CX have PE).
UA's E+, DL's EC and AA's MCE are responses for PE.

FWIW - the big 3 are more interested in a la carte pricing rather than an inclusive PE package.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by garykung
Simple - Price discrimination:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_discrimination

UA's E+, DL's EC and AA's MCE are responses for PE.

FWIW - the big 3 are more interested in a la carte pricing rather than an inclusive PE package.
Well I wouldn't quite say C+, E+, and MCE are responses for PE. Comparing E+, C+, and MCE to PE is not an apples to apples comparison. All 3 are simply Y seats with extra pitch / legroom, they don't even offer extra width compared to the rest of Y (with the exception of AA's 77W all are in the same configuration as the rest of Y just with more legroom). The only other benefit is priority boarding but those seats on DL/UA/AA don't even come with free bags unless you are an elite much less "Book the Cook."

AA and DL are rolling out true PE (AA's first 789 with true PE has been delivered though not sure if it is in service) and I would guess UA will eventually match that. AA's new PE is similar to the SQ PE in that the seats are basically the same as domestic F and will allegedly include some enhanced services as well.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Duke787
Well I wouldn't quite say C+, E+, and MCE are responses for PE. Comparing E+, C+, and MCE to PE is not an apples to apples comparison.
Don't forget - this option has to be evaluated during the mergers.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Airfares in general are silly expensive ex-HKG (except for LCCs).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.