Wiki Posts
Search

Selecting seats on SQ2 on Sep 8

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Selecting seats on SQ2 on Sep 8

I have mostly been flying BA/AA/CX and am pretty new to SQ (though I am *G)

I am flying BLR-SIN-SFO/SFO-SIN-BLR
Dates are 9/8 & 9/22. The flight is in Y

I was able to select seats for all flights except SQ 2 on 9/8. Most of the seats on the flight are showing blocked on EF.

Questions:
1. Does SQ allow *G to select blocked seats (not preferred, just any regular aisle seat)
2. Does SQ open miles upgrad/award seats a few days before flight?
3. I am not sure but I think SQ doesn't do airport/OLCI upgrades for cheap, is that correct?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 4:18 pm

2. Generally, no. Although on some short haul non-premium sectors they may do. SFO you can pretty much forget about.

3. They do not do the 'upgrades' that you're thinking of at the counter at all (a la BA). You have to pay the full difference in fare.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Phaze
2. Generally, no. Although on some short haul non-premium sectors they may do. SFO you can pretty much forget about.

3. They do not do the 'upgrades' that you're thinking of at the counter at all (a la BA). You have to pay the full difference in fare.
Just had a customer come through my work today who was asked if his whole family would like to pay for an upgrade for his whole family ( 4adult 1 child) ex FRA to SIN from J to suites at checkin, was 1600EUR per person apparently.
Not sure if this was the fare difference but to me seemed rather cheap for an upgrade.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firemansam
Just had a customer come through my work today who was asked if his whole family would like to pay for an upgrade for his whole family ( 4adult 1 child) ex FRA to SIN from J to suites at checkin, was 1600EUR per person apparently.
Not sure if this was the fare difference but to me seemed rather cheap for an upgrade.
Thanks, that sounds like there may be a chance.

Any info about seat selection?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Firemansam
That's the fare difference.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:17 am
Original Poster

That's the fare difference.
Ohk thanks.

Anyway, no worries, my company paid for coach and coach is what I get.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
Ohk thanks.

Anyway, no worries, my company paid for coach and coach is what I get.

BLR-SIN = 4.5 hours (I did this last week funnily enough) then SIN-SFO = 16 hours plus......all in Y.

I don't envy you.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I have mostly been flying BA/AA/CX and am pretty new to SQ (though I am *G)

I am flying BLR-SIN-SFO/SFO-SIN-BLR
Dates are 9/8 & 9/22. The flight is in Y

I was able to select seats for all flights except SQ 2 on 9/8. Most of the seats on the flight are showing blocked on EF.

Questions:
1. Does SQ allow *G to select blocked seats (not preferred, just any regular aisle seat)
2. Does SQ open miles upgrad/award seats a few days before flight?
3. I am not sure but I think SQ doesn't do airport/OLCI upgrades for cheap, is that correct?
1. No.

I travel on SQ2 a lot. It is always heavily booked and clearly caters for passengers connecting from India as there is always an Indian dinner on the menu. The seats are probably not blocked, they have simply been booked. Regardless, *G gets no preferential treatment. If you are KF G, then there is a wider selection of seats. SQ doesn't care a hoot for alliance passengers, and very little for their own KF G. There is not even preferential boarding for either - you board with the plebs.

Last edited by KACommuter; Aug 12, 2016 at 8:42 pm
Old Aug 13, 2016, 3:18 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by KACommuter
I travel on SQ2 a lot. It is always heavily booked and clearly caters for passengers connecting from India as there is always an Indian dinner on the menu. The seats are probably not blocked, they have simply been booked.
That's wrong — SQ is infamous for blocking a ton of seats* until about T-72 when the seat maps open up — see the very many threads on here and SQtalk for more info. OP already said EF shows the seats as blocked (and not occupied) and EF is usually right with this. Just keep checking close in (T-96, 72, 48 etc) and you'll probably be able to get an aisle.

*To answer OP's question there are a few rows reserved for selection for PPS members and a few for *G but they've probably all been taken, the rest of the blocked seats will open up a few days before departure.

Originally Posted by KACommuter
Regardless, *G gets no preferential treatment. If you are KF G, then there is a wider selection of seats. SQ doesn't care a hoot for alliance passengers, and very little for their own KF G. There is not even preferential boarding for either - you board with the plebs.
Also not true — got a booking in Y and have my OZ *G number on it and I'm allowed to pick seats reasonably close to the front of the plane that are showing as blocked on EF (and thus unavailable for selection for GMs and probably reserved for *G and above). So I think SQ doesn't really discriminate between their own *Gs and other alliance members' (and treats them equally badly lol).

And again regarding priority boarding — that's not true, *G does get priority boarding on SQ (although how well it's executed can vary — there are some reports of *G boarding with J and at other stations *G boards first in the Y lane, and other threads even mention a separate line for KF G and *G). And even UA boards *G in Group 2 with the CC holders flying Y and not with the premium cabin pax in Group 1.

Last edited by truncated; Aug 13, 2016 at 3:31 am
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:10 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by truncated
That's wrong — SQ is infamous for blocking a ton of seats* until about T-72 when the seat maps open up — see the very many threads on here and SQtalk for more info. OP already said EF shows the seats as blocked (and not occupied) and EF is usually right with this. Just keep checking close in (T-96, 72, 48 etc) and you'll probably be able to get an aisle.

*To answer OP's question there are a few rows reserved for selection for PPS members and a few for *G but they've probably all been taken, the rest of the blocked seats will open up a few days before departure.

Also not true — got a booking in Y and have my OZ *G number on it and I'm allowed to pick seats reasonably close to the front of the plane that are showing as blocked on EF (and thus unavailable for selection for GMs and probably reserved for *G and above). So I think SQ doesn't really discriminate between their own *Gs and other alliance members' (and treats them equally badly lol).

And again regarding priority boarding — that's not true, *G does get priority boarding on SQ (although how well it's executed can vary — there are some reports of *G boarding with J and at other stations *G boards first in the Y lane, and other threads even mention a separate line for KF G and *G). And even UA boards *G in Group 2 with the CC holders flying Y and not with the premium cabin pax in Group 1.
I have not used EF before so wasn't aware that blocked and occupied are identified differently. Nevertheless my experience on SQ2 as a *G is that there is rarely much difference in seat choice even as one gets close to the departure date. I have had to travel in a middle seat more times that I like as a lot of my travel is booked less than a week before, and quite often on a Friday evening.

On my last two SQ2 flights, one of which was last Friday, *G were in the same lane as Y passengers so I certainly didn't experience any preferential treatment. My boarding pass was labelled Group 3 but there were no calls by group. And even if there were I very much doubt it would be respected or enforced.

I'll be on it again later this week and will take note to see if this is 3 in a row.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.