Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Open Jaw on return destination allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Open Jaw on return destination allowed?

Not sure if there was a recent policy change compared to the blogs and websites I've read recently.

Was enquiring about a iternary on United airlines flights that is for going from Aruba (AUA) to Newark (EWR) in November this year and then a roundtrip for Newark to Honolulu, HI in February next year for a week.

I thought Newark would count as the 'Stopover' in between the two trips. The CSR quoted me 52.5k miles for the itenarary when I was expecting it to be of 35k Krisflyer miles. (all flights in economy class)

He was claiming that I must return to AUA as the final return destination which seems to differ from what I've read that open jaws on either origin or destination should be allowed?

Will try to call again to hopefully get something else from a different agent.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Well, for what it's worth the website won't allow you to book open jaw rewards.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:02 am

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Originally Posted by njdealguy
Not sure if there was a recent policy change compared to the blogs and websites I've read recently.

Was enquiring about a iternary on United airlines flights that is for going from Aruba (AUA) to Newark (EWR) in November this year and then a roundtrip for Newark to Honolulu, HI in February next year for a week.

I thought Newark would count as the 'Stopover' in between the two trips. The CSR quoted me 52.5k miles for the itenarary when I was expecting it to be of 35k Krisflyer miles. (all flights in economy class)

He was claiming that I must return to AUA as the final return destination which seems to differ from what I've read that open jaws on either origin or destination should be allowed?

Will try to call again to hopefully get something else from a different agent.
I couldn't get to open jaw SGN-XXX-VCE-XXX-BKK either did last September. I didn't pursue.

But in your case, the system may read it as a one-way because of the general direction of travel and it's not allowing stop over therefore counted as 2 one-ways.

It's like doing KUL-SIN-SGN. Is that one way direction or open jaw return?

I think There is also a clause about restriction on stop over in continental USA also.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQueeze
I couldn't get to open jaw SGN-XXX-VCE-XXX-BKK either did last September. I didn't pursue.

But in your case, the system may read it as a one-way because of the general direction of travel and it's not allowing stop over therefore counted as 2 one-ways.

It's like doing KUL-SIN-SGN. Is that one way direction or open jaw return?

I think There is also a clause about restriction on stop over in continental USA also.
Thats not good as it seemingly is going against the terms as I've interpreted on their website. Moreover have seen quite a few blogs online where suggestions are made on itenaries between mainland USA and hawaii along with a one way flight from other countries in North America such as Costa Rica, Carribean, etc for 35k points in total for economy. Not being able to seems contradictory.

Moreover having a major pain just trying to contact them, with long hold times and then finally getting hold of someone only to be told to try back later as they aren't the 'redemption department' which is busy. Tried emailing them with the same question 2 days ago and still waiting for a response on that as well.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Originally Posted by njdealguy
Thats not good as it seemingly is going against the terms as I've interpreted on their website. Moreover have seen quite a few blogs online where suggestions are made on itenaries between mainland USA and hawaii along with a one way flight from other countries in North America such as Costa Rica, Carribean, etc for 35k points in total for economy. Not being able to seems contradictory.

Moreover having a major pain just trying to contact them, with long hold times and then finally getting hold of someone only to be told to try back later as they aren't the 'redemption department' which is busy. Tried emailing them with the same question 2 days ago and still waiting for a response on that as well.
I have had backtrack routings before. It's case to case.

I think in the case AUA-EWR-HNL, it will count as one-way indeed with Aruba and Hawaii being in the same zone.

You have a long break in NJ, which will not make it into a one-way with stopover because they don't allow stopovers for one-way star alliance awards and even on sq awards where stop over on one-ways can be done against a charge of USD100, may have a limit of 30 days but I have had cases where I exceeded this, may be a mistake on agent's side.

And I think there is a terms against stop over in continental USA, or some additional restriction which doesn't apply to routings elsewhere.

Now if you are trying to make it a return trip Central America / Hawaii - USA, it's open to interpretation as well because of the general direction of travel which can be argued as one-way or return considering the locations of AUA, HNL, and EWR relative to one another. I think it's more of a one-way, not return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.