Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

New to program. Can I use ff from DTW to Milan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium

Signed up today. Can use UR points if I find flights available.

Why does the singaporeair website give you 2 options: Award or Krisflyer miles?

What would be the process to finding DTW/MIL award availability? I tried several times and dates but get a response that nothing available. Is there a way to see what dates do have availability?

Tried calling and the call dropped once I got an agent.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
You will have to call them as this would be a Star Alliance redemption award. Only awards on SQ's flights can be booked online.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:02 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
most of the answers can be found in this thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...fra-first.html
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Thank you both.

Can you explain why it would be a Star Alliance redemption? I was under the impression I could move some Ultimate Rewards points directly into my Krisflyer account.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by gardengirl
Thank you both.

Can you explain why it would be a Star Alliance redemption?

The question is answered in the thread and by the FT-er who answered before me.

I was under the impression I could move some Ultimate Rewards points directly into my Krisflyer account.

You are using SQ KF miles for said redemption

Last edited by DHalltheway; Jun 14, 2015 at 9:10 am
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks I called again today. After about 1/2 hr. hold the first thing I asked the agent was to please call me back if we were disconnected so I wouldn't have to begin all over again.

Unfortunately, she couldn't find anything but coach for the dates I gave her, even with some flexibility.

Even though it's not perfect I do have something on hold with AA (it is SO MUCH EASIER BOOKING/HOLDING THROUGH AA WEBSITE). It is milesaver coach on the outbound and milesaver Business on return. I'm hoping to find Business on outbound and a better Business itinerary on the return.

United has a better saver coach outbound itinerary using Lufthansa. Nothing better for the return.

Also been trying Iberia. That website drives me nuts. If you put in a date that doesn't have availability it just gives you a message about no availability and you have to begin again. It doesn't give you flexible options. Am I missing something?

Forget Delta. . .way too many miles at this late date.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:31 pm

Thanks I called again today. After about 1/2 hr. hold the first thing I asked the agent was to please call me back if we were disconnected so I wouldn't have to begin all over again.

Unfortunately, she couldn't find anything but coach for the dates I gave her, even with some flexibility.

Even though it's not perfect I do have something on hold with AA (it is SO MUCH EASIER BOOKING/HOLDING THROUGH AA WEBSITE). It is milesaver coach on the outbound and milesaver Business on return. I'm hoping to find Business on outbound and a better Business itinerary on the return.

Only works on AA/US metal I believe, still can't price it with OW partners ime.

United has a better saver coach outbound itinerary using Lufthansa. Nothing better for the return.

Also been trying Iberia. That website drives me nuts. If you put in a date that doesn't have availability it just gives you a message about no availability and you have to begin again. It doesn't give you flexible options. Am I missing something?

Forget Delta. . .way too many miles at this late date.

This is pretty normal for Summer award tickets that is why I book early for summer trips.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

I read the thread and the above post and the STICKY FAQ's. So because the flight would use planes from airlines other than SQ it becomes *A? Any chance all the planes could be SQ with the route I mentioned?

As I said in earlier post, the agent said there were no seats available. I'm just trying to learn for future reference.

To get a better understanding, when do you check the box for "Pay with Krisflyer miles" and be able to book online?

Yes, I try to book early too and also encourage my friends to do the same. Since you mentioned it, here's my saga. . .

This trip was just recently planned to visit DD and new SIL who is in Army stationed in Italy. DD only received her Visa in the middle of May and moved there a couple weeks ago. When they married in December DH said we'd try to visit, then he began saying we'd try to visit in October. DD was living with us and so busy taking care of details for the move that I didn't want to smother her with any questions about us visiting. She was having enough set backs and meltdowns just getting there herself.

It wasn't until last week that I thought if we're going to do this I'd better get busy looking. That's why I'm scrambling at this late date trying to find some way possible to get us over in Business without having to purchase high mileage seats. We're both 62 and I get very uncomfortable if I can't put my feet up and stretch my legs. Guess it's all those years stomping on the shovel in the garden. We have plenty of AA miles and UR points that I have been accumulating for something just like this. Travel with the family. You'd think I could find seats somewhere and today I did with the seats on Iberia. I felt so daft when I found out UR points don't transfer to Iberia. I'd like those seats.

I tried using my ANA account to check for seats and I missed registering for their new password requirement back in 2014. I couldn't log in and when it asked me for password the one I have didn't work. So I clicked "forgot password". Oh lovely, they're going to mail it to me through snail mail. What????? Who does that?

Right now I'm traveling to visit aging sister and BIL and don't have passport no. so DH opened SQ and Iberia accounts for me last night. So far that hasn't paid off. Tonight I read through The Points Guy blog to learn more about redeeming UR points. Tried to check Korean Air but I don't have an account so it won't let me see what's available.

Here's what I have so far:

Major hotel is booked using MR points. https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...esort-and-spa/

When flights are finalized I'll look for rooms in MIL and VCE.

Have AA hold milesaver coach outbound. Crummy itinerary DTW/CLT/LHR/MIL. DO NOT like CLT. Lovely little airport but this would be Sept. and lots of weather goes through there. I seem to get stuck most every time I go through CLT. 4 hour layover in LHR but CLT could seriously mess with that.

Return hold is milesaver Business on AA VCE/LHR/DFW/DTW. Have to overnight in hotel in DFW. How's that for an itinerary? But it's milesaver.

Any direction would be appreciated. I sure would like to find a way to get on Iberia flight.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:46 pm

So because the flight would use planes from airlines other than SQ it becomes *A? Any chance all the planes could be SQ with the route I mentioned?
SQ doesnt fly into DTW, so unless they are convinced to start a route, it would be difficult to get a SQ metal into DTW.

Like what others have mentioned:

A. If you want to use KF miles on SQ metal: It would probably be better to position yourself over to JFK, fly SQ25 JFK-FRA, and then position yourself to MXP.

B. If you want to use SQ miles for the entire journey, then it would be classed as a *A journey, probably feeding from UA/LH to make the route work.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tango3
SQ doesnt fly into DTW, so unless they are convinced to start a route, it would be difficult to get a SQ metal into DTW.

Like what others have mentioned:

A. If you want to use KF miles on SQ metal: It would probably be better to position yourself over to JFK, fly SQ25 JFK-FRA, and then position yourself to MXP.

B. If you want to use SQ miles for the entire journey, then it would be classed as a *A journey, probably feeding from UA/LH to make the route work.
I saw your post, logged into SQ. It's starting to make a bit more sense but some things still foggy. Please be patient, I'm new at SQ. Looked JFK/FRA. First I checked "Pay with Krisflyer miles". The response was in $$. Why is that? So I went through and found a day it was $1767 for 2 in Economy that could be upgraded with miles. Would that be good or bad? Is an upgrade guaranteed? I've never paid for a seat and upgraded with miles. Then I tried clicking "use Award" and for the 5 possible days to fly out there were no saver awards.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:52 pm

First I checked "Pay with Krisflyer miles". The response was in $$. Why is that?
One can buy an SQ ticket online via 3 modes:

1. Air ticket with money (ie, credit cards) only.
2. Same as #1, except that you use KF points to offset a partial value of the ticket.
3. Award ticket redemption with points, and tax/surcharges with money.

The option "Pay with Krisflyer miles" refers to point 2. For example, if the cost of the ticket is $200, you could use 10000 KF points to offset the price by $50, so you would pay only $150 for the ticket.

Where-else if you're looking for a full award redemption option, then you should tick the box called "Redeem Award Flights".
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:50 am

DL also has the "award ticket" and "pay with mile" option, it is not exclusive to SQ.

You can buy an economy seat and then upgrade if you wish. Upgrade is more or less assured if you are willing to fork over the right amount of miles. Look at the cost to upgrade for all 3 tiers and decide.

How to upgrade with miles look here : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...-welcomed.html

Last edited by DHalltheway; Jun 15, 2015 at 2:03 am
Old Jun 15, 2015, 4:53 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Arrow

IF yout have AA miles, why not look at CX and One World, there may be more options out of ORD for that.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by craig44485
IF yout have AA miles, why not look at CX and One World, there may be more options out of ORD for that.
so DTW-ORD-HKG-MIL on CX?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:22 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Whoever set you up to use SQ miles on SQ flights to get from DTW (Detroit) to MXP (Milan) did send you off into the wrong direction. Forget about using SQ miles online to redeem for an SQ flight unless you are okay to just fly JFK-FRA. Of course, a *A award using KF miles remains possible assuming there is availability on your desired dates (e.g. LH DTW-FRA-MXP or UA DTW-ORD-MXP).

For starters, as has been established, there are no direct flights from DTW to MXP so as a next logical step you can look at one-stop flights that get you there and maybe that don't make you travel in the opposite direction first (like going to DFW -Dallas) and then to MXP) though such a back tracking may be considered as it could allow you to use your stash of AA miles instead of converting UR.

So out of Detroit you could go via Toronto on AC (Air Canada), via ORD (Chicago) on United, via JFK on AA or DL or Alitialia, via FRA on LH (Lufthansa) to name a few.

Now you need to consider in which programs you have miles or can transfer miles to and where there is award seat availability (Eco/ Biz?). Given DTW has a strong DL presence maybe you can consider that and go via JFK to MXP on DL or Alitalia or maybe via ATL. Several routes possible, but you will have to see what works best for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.