Wiki Posts
Search

Frozen KF account

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
Frozen KF account

Do any FT here have experience with frozen KF account due to internal audit? My account was frozen and it's been over 8 business days and still no result from SQ. Reason for the audit because I have point transfers from different last name into my KF account a few years back. All of the miles in question were from 2012 and they have all been redeemed already. I recently(Dec 2014) transfer 320K into my KF account from my Chase/Amex to book an upcoming trip and they froze it. My tickets are on hold, which is good, but they can not issue the ticket. Any suggestions or insights on this matter? Thanks

Last edited by caimaster; Jan 7, 2015 at 4:58 pm
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Hi there, haven't had any experience with it myself. Have you tried calling in to find out what's going on?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There was a thread on a similar situation, IIRC several months ago, on either FT or MP. It was apparently a transfer from a husband's AmEx card to the wife's KF account with no other account activity before multiple award tickets were requested.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:52 pm

Did they tell you that they were conducting an audit or did you just happen to find out by trying to log in ?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mister Nice
Did they tell you that they were conducting an audit or did you just happen to find out by trying to log in ?
They froze the account while I was booking the tickets with an agent. When he was about to issue the ticket and said the account has been placed on hold due to audit.

I called them every 2 days, they just say it's still in the audit process.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by caimaster
They froze the account while I was booking the tickets with an agent. When he was about to issue the ticket and said the account has been placed on hold due to audit.

I called them every 2 days, they just say it's still in the audit process.
If SQ is like SQ Inc., they will take this seriously. Heard, albeit anecdotally, of one pax being chased all the way in a third country for irregularities they found with his business class ticket several years ago, and having to pay the difference they claimed. The travel agent involved was also questioned by SQ
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Update!

After over 2 weeks they finally release the hold on my account. All of my new miles are safe. They did remove 875 miles from my account that were leftover from couple of years back. Note to all, only transfer miles from your own personal account or risk losing them.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Originally Posted by caimaster
Update!

After over 2 weeks they finally release the hold on my account. All of my new miles are safe. They did remove 875 miles from my account that were leftover from couple of years back. Note to all, only transfer miles from your own personal account or risk losing them.
Congratulations.

I am glad that SQ took this step. It's a win-win. They still earned from the previous transfer anyway. As long as it is genuine oversight on your part and you don't do again, there is no reason why they don't let you go this time.

This kind of understanding and approach is why I think SQ is a cut above the rest. If it is another airline, they would be really strict and heartless about freezing accounts in case of violations of T&C.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQueeze
Congratulations.

I am glad that SQ took this step. It's a win-win. They still earned from the previous transfer anyway. As long as it is genuine oversight on your part and you don't do again, there is no reason why they don't let you go this time.

This kind of understanding and approach is why I think SQ is a cut above the rest. If it is another airline, they would be really strict and heartless about freezing accounts in case of violations of T&C.
I agreed SQ handled this very well. They could very well closed my account and I would have to forfeit all my miles if they stick to the T&C. I only wish they could have speed up the process and not have to wait 2 weeks to find out the result.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:48 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I agree that SQ handled this well. One unintentional lesson does come to mind from this, though: If you've engaged in shenanigans in the past and have a cleaned out FF account on an airline (or another group) that you did so with, it might be worth the effort to arrange to delete the account and/or find a way to register a second account (especially if you've moved and/or have a different email address you can use).
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:07 am

How long has this been a rule with KF? A couple of years ago, I transferred all of my points into a friend's account so that we could be on the same PNR when we booked a trip together. The trip didn't end up happening, so the points stayed in his account and I've since used them to book future travel just for myself. Do I risk being denied boarding when I show up at the airport?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OptionsCLE
How long has this been a rule with KF? A couple of years ago, I transferred all of my points into a friend's account so that we could be on the same PNR when we booked a trip together. The trip didn't end up happening, so the points stayed in his account and I've since used them to book future travel just for myself. Do I risk being denied boarding when I show up at the airport?
Not sure. The points they questioned about were from late 2012 and early 2013.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by OptionsCLE
From my understanding it has always been the case - SQ is trying to stem hard on those people who are selling miles online.

Generally they won't deny you boarding as long your account is active and the ticket is valid. Usually certain activities will trigger an audit. If your story is legit you can come clean with them, they should not make things difficult.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT; TK Gold, Marriot PLT, IHG PLT
Hi OP, "frozen" means the can not login account or just can not redeem miles but the account can be logged in?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chispanol
Hi OP, "frozen" means the can not login account or just can not redeem miles but the account can be logged in?
I was not able to redeem miles from the account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.