Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Haughty airline humiliates youth orchestra

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Interesting. Just read this on: http://slippedisc.com/2014/12/haught...outh-orchestra

Alexander Gilman, artistic director of Swiss-based LGT Young Soloists tells us his orchestra is stranded in Hong Kong, refused boarding by a customer-unfriendly airline.

The LGT Young Soloists, a youth orchestra with young musicians had a tournee of 5 concerts in Asia. We arrived with Singapore Airlines to Hong Kong and were supposed to fly out today from Hong Kong back via Singapore to Zurich. They did not let us on the plane because they wanted us to check our instruments even though the cellos had extra seats booked by us. They wanted to force us to check violins with the suitcases.
I told them we had Stradivaris and extremely expensive violins. Their answer was they don’t care, it is our policy. We are stuck here in the evening now with young kids and don’t know what to do.
The pilot refused to come out and talk to us. The crew was laughing at us and telling us we can only come in if we check in 8 violins and 2 violas. The contrabass were already checked in and the two cellos had seats booked.
They did not let us on board only because of violins and violas, even though we told them that we are speaking about Millions of Euros that will be destroyed. Their answer was they don’t care and that this is Singapore Airlines Policy.
Additionally, they checked in the two cellos before and separated the minor kids who own them for two hours from us. They did not let the two girls join us for two hours. These two girls did not know what happened for two hours until the crew decided to let them and the luggage out. The two girls were panicking and scared, sitting outside in the airport not knowing what happened until we found them.
Now they are taking pictures of our instruments to send it to Lufthansa to check with them if the size is ok to be checked in.
Anyone heard anything about this?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I suggest make a big complaint about it, this is totally unacceptable.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
I wonder how do the instruments travel in the outbound in the first place.

The bit on SQ crew laughing at them is not very believable to me. But the inflexible bits sure are. I can imagine that they were inflexible and were apologizing profusely citing the rules without being able to do anything but more apologies.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

I'm not involved in this incident, just read it online and it seems to be stirring up quite a bit in the general media now.

Orchestras tour all the time (often with around 100 or more people in the group). I don't know how many were in this orchestra but I assume it was a MAJOR problem.

It must be noted that the official rules of Singapore Airlines (and most other airlines) state that violins/violas ARE allowed as carry-on luggage. This can be found on their website.

Also separating minor children from the group highly concerns me. There seem to be quite a lot of people writing in to Singapore Airlines (and also on their Facebook page) so I hope they come out with a statement soon (though not holding my breath).
Old Dec 8, 2014, 6:59 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
Typical of a procedure obsessed place where common sense doesn't exist. I'm sorry it is true. It is time to stop following whatever procedure has been decided and question things a bit more.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:46 pm

Why would the pilot need to come out to talk to the Orchestra? The pilot doesn't dictate loading rules.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:44 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Well from what I read Lufthansa did pity the group and flew them back to ZRH from HKG with the instruments being hand carried. What a sad day when a German carrier that really likes its rules is more flexible than the "ever pleasing, always friendly Asian 5* super carrier".

BTW, as far as SQs own rules go I can't find anything saying that Violins can't be brought on board. The group did purchase extra seats for the Cellos as stipulated so not sure what the problem was:http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/tr...ggage-outsize/

Also transporting the group outbound from ZRH via SIN to HKG should have raised the same concerns that HKG used to refuse boarding so either policies are unclear / up to station to interpret or some folks should really not be working as station managers / ground handling staff.

Last edited by demue; Dec 8, 2014 at 11:52 pm
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Silverelf
Why would the pilot need to come out to talk to the Orchestra? The pilot doesn't dictate loading rules.
Why not? In the end the captain is the ultimate decision maker and can overrule pretty much anyone if it impacts the flight. Ground staff will definitely submit to the captains decision even if rules were different (not convinced on that part though).

Having a flight being delayed due to such back and forth is definitely not in his interest and an offload means the passengers luggage will have to retrieved from the cargo hold if loaded already (not sure here, no info).
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:05 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
About-turn by SQ here as well:

SINGAPORE - Singapore Airlines (SIA) has apologised to a group of musicians who missed their flight last weekend because ground staff at Hong Kong airport barred them from boarding the plane with their instruments. - See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sin....0biSFK4Q.dpuf
Apparently it was the handling agents at HKIA that are responsible for denying boarding. I've heard other reports of their fearsome reputation when it comes to check in baggage.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:08 am

Seems like this is a bad week for SQ's PR department...

Regardless of the check in agents' "fearsome reputation" shouldn't there always be an SQ staff at HKIA for escalations and to deal with issues? Especially for an airline with 7-8 departures a day from HKIA!

Last edited by carrotjuice; Dec 9, 2014 at 4:22 am
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:58 pm

There is SQ staff. Station Manager and Assistant Station Manager - either one of them should have been on duty and handled this. Can even consult with GM or the SIN bosses if needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.