Search

Check in time at SIN for F class?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:13 pm
txp
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by aster
Ok, so the droid has been instructed to always say 3.5 hrs and is simply relaying the information it has been programmed with.

If you head to the airport from downtown at 9:30pm you'll get there by 10pm, which leaves you PLENTY of time to check-in (turn on the stop-watch before you open the cab door and stop it after you clear immigration - chances are it'll be under 5 mins).
[QUOTE=Guy Betsy;23659767]
Originally Posted by txp

If you add in the Indian sounding accent to the SQ answers, you'll get the reason why they answered the way they did.

The Indian call centre has no idea what how the airport layout in SIN looks like. If you ask them how far it is to get from the check in counter to the lounge, they will 'ask you to check at the airport, sir' ...

But hey, txp, if your flight is at 2355, really, arriving at 2300 is fine. Its cutting it close but fine - especially when you check in at a separate check in area and will be whisked through immigration check. The ONLY problem is that SQ does not have a separate line for Premium passengers at its security check and you're going to be amongst the masses if your flight is parked among the multigate departures.

Wouldn't you want couple more minutes to perhaps check out the Private Lounge ? I'd say arriving by 2200-2230 is ok.

Add: SQ and SIN airport is efficient. SQ + Indian Call Centre is not. They have improved over the years but the call centre people are at best, driods and have no clue how SQ is. Ask any of them (if you want to) if they have ever stepped foot on SQ and you'll be surprised at the answer.

Can txp perhaps be bothered to write in a complaint like the one you did to SQ when onboard your flight - ? SQ management should really know what the Indian Call Centre is doing to SQ's reputation.
The person who took my call did indeed seem to have an Indian accent. This said, I would not want to complain about this. I have gotten used to a gradual decline in customer service worldwide over the past few decades. What happened here is no worse than other call center experiences. In the interest of cost savings, airlines are hiring people to read scripts, not to think. I, for one, would gladly pay a premium in my airfare just so that I can have the privilege to talk to a professional instead of a machine with a human voice.

Perhaps airlines could add an optional fee to the ticket price that would give pax access to a veteran service rep, located in the country or origin of the airline, and with broad knowledge of all airline operations?

Luckily, we still have this board and share experiences, often obtaining more accurate and timely information than the one given by the airlines.

One suggestion I have for SQ is the following: Please have a more personalized call center assistance for people who travel in F even if they don't have status on SQ.

Last edited by txp; Oct 13, 2014 at 7:25 pm
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by aster
Would you care to elaborate on that? I'm curious how you define "very harsh terms" when it comes to SQ staff...

Me> Hello, I would like to know what is the recommended check-in time for first class passengers in Singapore?

SQ> Where are you going sir?

Me> JFK

SQ> It's 3.5 hours sir.
That is obviously totally ridiculous.

I can leave my condo in the CBD of Singapore just over 1 hour before an SQ flight and make it to Changi check in with a few minutes to spare. It's tight and I wouldn't recommend it but it's possible.

In practice I have found that you can check in for SQ flights at the J counters up to 30 minutes before departure - but the official line is 40 minutes.

Of course I take no responsibility for people missing their flights on this advice!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Cut the call centre guy some slack... He was really wanting to ensure that the OP made it to The Private Room to enjoy some Dom

OP: you would be PPS after this flight?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:35 pm
txp
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ermen
OP: you would be PPS after this flight?
No. Award ticket...
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
[QUOTE=txp;23672411]
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

The person who took my call did indeed seem to have an Indian accent. This said, I would not want to complain about this. I have gotten used to a gradual decline in customer service worldwide over the past few decades. What happened here is no worse than other call center experiences. In the interest of cost savings, airlines are hiring people to read scripts, not to think. I, for one, would gladly pay a premium in my airfare just so that I can have the privilege to talk to a professional instead of a machine with a human voice.

Perhaps airlines could add an optional fee to the ticket price that would give pax access to a veteran service rep, located in the country or origin of the airline, and with broad knowledge of all airline operations?

Luckily, we still have this board and share experiences, often obtaining more accurate and timely information than the one given by the airlines.

One suggestion I have for SQ is the following: Please have a more personalized call center assistance for people who travel in F even if they don't have status on SQ.
Actually there is - but its the same place that your regular calls go to...

The only exception is if you hit the "Press 2 for Mandarin". But then you have to listen to all the menus in Chinese..

That is the only time when you will be connected to someone in Singapore. Who can speak English as well as Chinese. And is mega times more helpful than the Indian call centre.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:26 am

[QUOTE=Guy Betsy;23679426]
Originally Posted by txp
That is the only time when you will be connected to someone in Singapore. Who can speak English as well as Chinese.
Are you sure you are not ending up on the mainland?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I got the impression that as a F passenger at the Singapore check in you could do pretty much anything.

When I checked in at about 2 pm there was nobody else in the F check in suite. It took less than 10 minutes to check in, get luggage tagged, go through immigration and get in to the main airport near the SQ lounges.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by txp
It surely wouldn't be that hard for them to do the same thing for F pax that they do for PPS, e.g. instead of txting them your KF number you txt them your F booking ref and someone from the excellent Singapore PPS team calls you back.

But SQ really does not show any mindset around fine-tuning their product to make it better for customers - even their most premium products.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.