Search

PPS Club knowledge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
Exclamation PPS Club knowledge

Dear FTers,

So SQ registered me to Krisflyer so they could credit my flights there and grant me PPS status, as that would "allow them to better cater to my needs and keep track of my preferences".

I never really saw anything amazing regarding PPS Club or even Krisflyer. Am I really missing something, or the cons of bring a PPS are worthless, and only comes down to the Inflight supervisor making sure you are fine?

My greatest doubt: keep the miles to LH or let it on SQ?

On SQ I mostly fly F if that matters....

Thanks for the response guys! ^
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
You can always double-dip. That way your spending on SQ still goes toward PPS status, even if you choose to credit your miles with LH.

Crediting miles with SQ is probably only advantageous if you plan to redeem flights in SQ premium cabins. Otherwise, there's no reason to credit miles with them. (Well, getting *G is easier on SQ than on LH, it would seem. But given that you don't fly in Y, it probably doesn't matter.)
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by chisquared
You can always double-dip. That way your spending on SQ still goes toward PPS status, even if you choose to credit your miles with LH.

Crediting miles with SQ is probably only advantageous if you plan to redeem flights in SQ premium cabins. Otherwise, there's no reason to credit miles with them. (Well, getting *G is easier on SQ than on LH, it would seem. But given that you don't fly in Y, it probably doesn't matter.)
Depends how OP wants to use mileage for holiday.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:39 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
PPS benefits were watered down several years ago.

Basic PPS doesn't offer much that you don't already get flying paid F.
Solitaire PPS offers a little more, but still not terribly generous.

25% bonus miles on SQ & MI
Guaranteed availability in economy (highest paid fare)
Annual kris shop vouchers
Free basic travel insurance (on SQ travel)
Improved availability economy awards on SQ & MI (solitaire only)
SKL F lounge access when flying business (solitaire only)
Free supplementary status for partner (solitaire only)

There is also the benefit of higher priority treatment than non-status passengers (eg in irrops).

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 18, 2014 at 2:46 am
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by chisquared
Crediting miles with SQ is probably only advantageous if you plan to redeem flights in SQ premium cabins. Otherwise, there's no reason to credit miles with them.
Or wanting to use on Silkair (probably more for SIN based travellers).

Probably the main other benefits of PPS not mentioned already include access to the SilverKris Lounge at Changi when flying SQ/MI economy, express passes at LHR if in economy and ask for them(!), and meal preferences are usually taken before non PPS passengers (in fact in long haul economy several times when I've been sitting in seats that would be served a meal last, I've been singled out and served first, but never when sitting somewhere that normally get served first).
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Free basic travel insurance (on SQ travel)
Where are the restrictions that this only on SQ travel? I thought it might be the case, and have looked, but never have found such a restriction in the T&C or PPS brochure. It only refers to "travelling to a destination outside your country of residence" not "travelling to a destination outside your country of residence on the services of Singapore Airlines"
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

How easy, or not easy are Suites awards out of LHR?

Because I am wondering about keeping miles elsewhere if they are not that good.

SQ is stingy there, so keeping my LH account running might not be a bad idea?!
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:28 am

PPS is a waste of time. If you want airline rewards you are better off joining either BA or QANTAS schemes and flying with them. I am yet to see any value in my PPS membership.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Where are the restrictions that this only on SQ travel? I thought it might be the case, and have looked, but never have found such a restriction in the T&C or PPS brochure. It only refers to "travelling to a destination outside your country of residence" not "travelling to a destination outside your country of residence on the services of Singapore Airlines"
Apologies - I didn't check and just assumed this. Given the amount of non-SQ travel I do is vastly more than the amount of SQ travel this seems unduly generous.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
SKL F lounge access when flying business (solitaire only)
Economy as well.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Finally decided!

I will keep miles for F on LH and for C on SQ.

LH offers 300% for A and P tickets, which usually are the ones I book
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:44 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
I gave up trying to maintain my PPS some years ago. Once they started the dilution the only advantage was if you were trying to book limited fares like an A or such, if you were PPS they could all of a sudden make an extra one available; but, unless you were flying paid F the benefits were ZERO at the day of departure
Old Sep 26, 2014, 5:07 am

Quite a bit surprised with the negativity here. I think PPS is a decent program.

PPS Reserve value system is great if you can use it to your advantage, along with access to SKL Lounge as an ARRIVAL lounge if you quality TPP. Also if you frequent LHR, you also get access to VS lounges (including the arrival as TPP).

Baggage limit is also increased as a % of what you are entitled to and not a fixed kg increase (which is what you get as *G) so this will work better if you have a lot more luggage than usual for some reason.

There are other value add features like PPS Connect is probably not something FTers think is 'critical', but it still adds to the program. I still want to try their A380 simulator but never had the chance to do so!
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by mitwg
Quite a bit surprised with the negativity here. I think PPS is a decent program.

PPS Reserve value system is great if you can use it to your advantage, along with access to SKL Lounge as an ARRIVAL lounge if you quality TPP. Also if you frequent LHR, you also get access to VS lounges (including the arrival as TPP).

Baggage limit is also increased as a % of what you are entitled to and not a fixed kg increase (which is what you get as *G) so this will work better if you have a lot more luggage than usual for some reason.

There are other value add features like PPS Connect is probably not something FTers think is 'critical', but it still adds to the program. I still want to try their A380 simulator but never had the chance to do so!
These benefits are nice, but given what it takes to qualify for TPP, or even QPP, they just aren't worth it compared to the benefits you already receive flying in a premium cabin; particularly when you pay for flights out of your own pocket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.