Search

Likelihood of upgrade availability?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Likelihood of upgrade availability?

Next March I have to go from Toronto to Melbourne and as thinking of giving SQ a try even though it would be somewhat longer than other alternatives. I'm thinking of buying a Y/B fare and trying to use Star Alliance points to upgrade. I have a number of routings available to me and I'm wondering in your experience if one or more routes is easier for upgrading (or am I dreaming). Options appear to include:
LHR - SIN on A380 (SQ317/308)
LHR - SIN on 777 (SQ305/306 or 322)
FRA - SIN on A380 (SQ25/26)
LAX-NRT-SIN on A380 (SQ11/12)

I'd be leaving Toronto on Friday Mar 20, returning from MEL on Saturday Mar 28.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by The Lev
I'm thinking of buying a Y/B fare and trying to use Star Alliance points to upgrade.
No Y->J Star Alliance upgrades are made available on the A380 or 77W (save for a very rare system glitch), so your chances are essentially nil.

In general, the only way to upgrade Y->J on the A380 or 77W is to use KrisFlyer miles to do so.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by crazycrab955
No Y->J Star Alliance upgrades are made available on the A380 or 77W (save for a very rare system glitch), so your chances are essentially nil.

In general, the only way to upgrade Y->J on the A380 or 77W is to use KrisFlyer miles to do so.
I was doing research on this recently, and what seems to be the case is that you CAN upgrade from economy into business on the A380 or 77W, you just have to make sure to buy an economy class ticket in the right fare class: Y/B.

A couple of issues with that, though:

The first is that Y/B-class tickets on the A380/77W seem to be almost impossible to come by via the SQ website, even when you try to book a Flexi fare (which will usually be in E-class). This means you'll need to find a travel agent to issue you a ticket in Y/B.

Then you get to the second, more serious impediment, which is what I discovered when I tried to get a travel agent to see how much a Y/B-class ticket cost. The Y/B fare is even more expensive than a C/D-class fare, so you'd be spending less money booking yourself straight into business class, rather than using Star Alliance miles to upgrade.

On the other hand, even discounted business class tickets (i.e. D) are eligible for Star Alliance upgrade awards, so it might make more sense to use Star Alliance miles for those.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by chisquared
The first is that Y/B-class tickets on the A380/77W seem to be almost impossible to come by via the SQ website, even when you try to book a Flexi fare (which will usually be in E-class). This means you'll need to find a travel agent to issue you a ticket in Y/B.

Then you get to the second, more serious impediment, which is what I discovered when I tried to get a travel agent to see how much a Y/B-class ticket cost. The Y/B fare is even more expensive than a C/D-class fare, so you'd be spending less money booking yourself straight into business class, rather than using Star Alliance miles to upgrade.
I can find lots of Y/B fares on the SQ site for my itinerary for under US$3,500 - roughly one third of what it quotes for business class.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by The Lev
I can find lots of Y/B fares on the SQ site for my itinerary for under US$3,500 - roughly one third of what it quotes for business class.
Huh, looks like you're right. In principle you should be able to upgrade those fares then, but that's subject to SQ releasing upgrade award inventory to *A. Last time I emailed them, they claimed to do so, but everyone else seems to think they don't for 77Ws and A380s, so YMMV.

Last edited by chisquared; Sep 16, 2014 at 2:55 pm
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:38 pm

Hi, not sure if you're still after information, but I've been trying to upgrade a SQ flight of mine for the past 5 months, and finally had some success, so it is possible!

I'm flying MEL - SIN - LHR tonight, and finally managed to use my *A miles to upgrade from Economy to Business Class on the MEL-SIN (SQ218) leg on the M&M website.

I also intentionally booked B class tickets in hope of being able to upgrade (and were only around A$50 more). After months of trying, and countless calling to M&M/SQ, I actually ended up getting the upgrade directly on the M&M upgrade page, just after OLCI opened yesterday. It's on a 77W.

Unfortunately I've been unable to upgrade the SIN-LHR leg (SQ308) on A380, and looks unlikely to happen.

So just to let you know - it definitely IS possible to use *A points to upgrade SQ flights on 77W. Maybe I just got lucky, who knows...

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 4:26 pm

Ok ... this is encouraging.

I have a "Y" fare (SIN-SYD, on the 777) and will try to upgrade using *A miles in a few weeks time.

Originally Posted by jonsoloway
Hi, not sure if you're still after information, but I've been trying to upgrade a SQ flight of mine for the past 5 months, and finally had some success, so it is possible!

I'm flying MEL - SIN - LHR tonight, and finally managed to use my *A miles to upgrade from Economy to Business Class on the MEL-SIN (SQ218) leg on the M&M website.

I also intentionally booked B class tickets in hope of being able to upgrade (and were only around A$50 more). After months of trying, and countless calling to M&M/SQ, I actually ended up getting the upgrade directly on the M&M upgrade page, just after OLCI opened yesterday. It's on a 77W.

Unfortunately I've been unable to upgrade the SIN-LHR leg (SQ308) on A380, and looks unlikely to happen.

So just to let you know - it definitely IS possible to use *A points to upgrade SQ flights on 77W. Maybe I just got lucky, who knows...

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by jonsoloway

Hope this helps.

SQ only allows M&M and TAM members to upgrade to its 77W and A380 flights.

It doesn't seem to work on other airlines' FFP.

Note that on SQ, you can also buy S class fares.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
SQ only allows M&M and TAM members to upgrade to its 77W and A380 flights.

It doesn't seem to work on other airlines' FFP.

Note that on SQ, you can also buy S class fares.
I heard from my Travel Agent that SQ is no longer selling S class (at least ex-SIN).

Only E/B/Y for now
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:45 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by lingua101
I heard from my Travel Agent that SQ is no longer selling S class (at least ex-SIN).

Only E/B/Y for now
S is being re-used for premium economy to cater for codeshares on NZ AKL-SIN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.