Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SIA Higher cost compared to other premium airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIA Higher cost compared to other premium airlines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Originally Posted by SQ325
If i have to shelf out the money myself i wont fly anything else than SQ. In the past few years i flew only once to a SQ destination on a different carrier and that was a redemption ticket.
Iam too old too listen to my kids and wife nagging "why is there no IFE, why we need to pay for the drinks.?" and similar stuff.
hmm... other premium carriers do have IFE, and you need not pay for drinks. Unless you are talking about budget carriers, then I fully agree that almost everything short of H2O is chargeable.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Can only assume medium haul on Jetstar or Scoot - where those are extras.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Guess being a solo traveler has it's perks, I answer to no one haha! But it does gets lonely... Time to go GF hunting...
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by lighthand
hmm... other premium carriers do have IFE, and you need not pay for drinks. Unless you are talking about budget carriers, then I fully agree that almost everything short of H2O is chargeable.
About a year back or so I had the pleasure of flying an old 747 from Thai. Boarding on remote stand via stairs, no IFE.

But yes, the (budget) alternative out of SIN are LCC's . I was refering to them as iam certainly only flying Nonstop and avoid connecting somwhere in Asia.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by AddictedTraveller
Can only assume medium haul on Jetstar or Scoot - where those are extras.
....Tiger, Air Asia, Cebu Pacific, Jetstar Asia, Lion, Indigo etc, etc. are all flying in direct competion to SQ (and/or MI) on certain Routes. I consider 3,5 to 4 hours flighttime already as medium haul.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by weero
I hear the prejudice that whities are treated preferentially chez SQ from my working colleagues....
Thats what the term Ang-Moh-Airline is refering to, the preferential treatment of westerners. ButI agree with you, this treatment has changed over the years and is not what its used to be.
But as you see from from your colleagues, the prejuidice is still in some minds.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Thats what the term Ang-Moh-Airline is refering to, the preferential treatment of westerners. ButI agree with you, this treatment has changed over the years and is not what its used to be.
But as you see from from your colleagues, the prejuidice is still in some minds.
Prejudice, admit or not, exists in certain, subtle ways. My view on SQ is westerners are generally better treated - I agree it's been changed for the better lately.

When I travel in CX, I'm better treated if I speak English or Cantonese, comparing to speaking only Mandarin.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by LuisHK
When I travel in CX, I'm better treated if I speak English or Cantonese, comparing to speaking only Mandarin.
Maybe that's because you're then perceived as being a mainlander..
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
....Tiger, Air Asia, Cebu Pacific, Jetstar Asia, Lion, Indigo etc, etc. are all flying in direct competion to SQ (and/or MI) on certain Routes. I consider 3,5 to 4 hours flighttime already as medium haul.
Tend to agree, think my viewpoint is skewed as many the majority of my flights are 7 hrs+
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:58 am

Prejudice, admit or not, exists in certain, subtle ways. My view on SQ is westerners are generally better treated - I agree it's been changed for the better lately.

My feeling is that the treatment it is highly depending on destination and class you are travelling and the preference of the crew. I dont see much of a difference anymore.

But the society in Singapore has generally shifted. Westerners were "Foreign Talents" more 10 years ago but mutated to "Foreigners" in a negative sense nowadays. SQs more neutral approach is probably just reflecting this shift.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..But what alternative do i have out of SIN?
Any carrier with a Premium Economy. So to Oz that will be QF or BA, elsewhere BR, CX, or JL ... that is as long as the pricing is similar.

Originally Posted by Beolab
I forgot to mention the Kebaya factor, The Singapore Girl's iconic dress. The prettiest cabin crew outfit in the skies!
I find the MH one while similar in shape and pattern a lot less vulgar than the SQ one. Not that it bothers me much but I am certainly not attracted to the the dress.
..Iam too old too listen to my kids and wife nagging "why is there no IFE, why we need to pay for the drinks.?" and similar stuff.
While IMHO SQ has by far the best coach seat and IFE, many carriers offer video and booze in the basic package.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..But as you see from from your colleagues, the prejuidice is still in some minds.
It exists in mine too. I feel that Chinese get lots of privileges over us Ang-Moh. But it is probably just perceived. Different treatment does not necessarily imply intentional discrimination.
Prejudice, admit or not, exists in certain, subtle ways. My view on SQ is westerners are generally better treated...
Where I see it differently: excess luggage, misbehaving kids in the cabin. re-seating requests are areas where Chinese get more leeway than Europeans.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by elleana
Maybe that's because you're then perceived as being a mainlander..
I hope not! I don't speak that sort of native mandarin anyway

But the society in Singapore has generally shifted. Westerners were "Foreign Talents" more 10 years ago but mutated to "Foreigners" in a negative sense nowadays. SQs more neutral approach is probably just reflecting this shift.
Foreigners? You're being very kind on your words. I've heard way worse terms from some mean-spirited people. We'll just leave it at there.

I'm not asking much from the crew anyways. Just don't treat me like a 3rd class citizen

Where I see it differently: excess luggage, misbehaving kids in the cabin. re-seating requests are areas where Chinese get more leeway than Europeans.
Maybe you're right, or maybe some are just plain annoying that the crew want them out of the way :X
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:29 pm

It exists in mine too. I feel that Chinese get lots of privileges over us Ang-Moh. But it is probably just perceived. Different treatment does not necessarily imply intentional discrimination.

If you refer to Singaporean Chinese maybe. If you refer to Mainland Chinese, definetly not.
I see mostly the opposite happening, such requests are turned down instantly. And if they are attended two, look into the face of the crew, it speaks for itself.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:38 pm

Any carrier with a Premium Economy. So to Oz that will be QF or BA, elsewhere BR, CX, or JL ... that is as long as the pricing is similar.
I flown QF twice but long time back. Not by choice, as SQ didnt fly into Darwin. Was not impressed and therfore never bothered to use them again.

CX seem to have quite inconsistent hardware (similar to TG) and therfore I decided it wont be my choice.

But look into China and India. If you choose to go Nonstop the choice is limited. Neither CA nor AI will see me inside their aircraft if i got to fork out the money by myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.