Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Did Anyone Catch The News Yet? SIN-FRA-JFK will shift to 388

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC

Yes folks, this new press release just came today from SQ. While not a big surprise but a lot of folks already predicted it..

Singapore Airlines will fly the world’s largest aircraft, the Airbus A380, on the Singapore – Frankfurt – New York route from 15 January 2012.

Frankfurt and New York will be Singapore Airlines’ ninth and tenth destinations to receive the superjumbo. New York will also be the second point in North America to be added to the list. The Singapore Airlines A380 has proven exceptionally popular with customers, with strong loads on all routes it serves. Systemwide, more than 5.6 million customers have flown on the Airline’s A380s since the inaugural flight in October 2007 to Sydney.

The daily A380 flights will replace an existing daily Boeing 747-400 service to New York’s JFK Airport via Frankfurt, representing a daily increase of 25% in seat capacity.
For more, please continue reading here
Old Sep 19, 2011, 3:52 am

Programs: *, 1W
Finally! Good news. No more 747 seats... ^

Now we have to work on SQ 1/2, but that's at least a 77W now.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:03 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Bad news for some, no more saver awards from FRA.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:12 am

Programs: Miles & More
Good news. Can fly now nearly all my favorite routings, with the A380.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:18 am

Programs: QF WP
RIP first class savers to/from FRA...
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:48 am

They have swapped the planes with the SIN-MEL route, bad news for MEL bound ppl All in all redemption is gonna get tough now, just hope to grab any possibility asap.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
I will personally miss those lovely F seats...
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by aster
Bad news for some, no more saver awards from FRA.
I'd actually bet that given that SQ has apparently opened up the occasional A388 C route to saver/*A (SIN-SYD, SIN-HKG), and given that they usually had some C inventory JFK-FRA, that going from 50C to 60C will mean they will probably open up JFK-FRA to minimal saver/*A redemption.

I don't think they'll ever open up suites/R, though.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:17 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'd actually bet that given that SQ has apparently opened up the occasional A388 C route to saver/*A (SIN-SYD, SIN-HKG), and given that they usually had some C inventory JFK-FRA, that going from 50C to 60C will mean they will probably open up JFK-FRA to minimal saver/*A redemption.

I don't think they'll ever open up suites/R, though.
I think it's more IT issues rather than an actual intention to have those seats opened up.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:05 am

Programs: ROP Gold
That means they will need three 380s to support this route if I am not mistaken.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
I think it's more IT issues rather than an actual intention to have those seats opened up.
Wouldn't be so sure. They've added C capacity on those routes (so increased supply = less pricing power), and it's not like you can't get lie-flat on a NYC-Europe hub route (BA, VS, DL, LX, CO/UA), plus JFK-FRA is a fifth-freedom tag (read: probably some empty seats, because a lot of people won't buy SQ on a non-hub to non-hub route, so why let them go empty as opposed to getting some *A I award reimbursements?).

Yes, I know, SQ is the most awesomest airline ever in the history of humanity, and they'll never allow the likes of us to get cheap awards in "new" seats that are 4+ years on the market, because they are so awesome, and they must protect their premium image at all costs, even if lie-flat seats that do NOT require you to get out of the seat enter the market.

I might also note that SYD-SIN has EK/QF competition on A380- so a lot of lie-flat C/J seats on that route, enough so that you might as well fill them up on award rather than fly them empty... just like on NYC-Europe. (I'm actually more surprised that the EWR-SIN nonstop has availability, according to some reports in this forum. I would think that you'd restrict the nonstops and force "award maximizers" onto the fifth freedom one-stop that is less likely to get the premium business traveler who doesn't want to dawdle on the way to SIN.)
Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:20 pm

RIP *A upgrade awards!!
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:48 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Need to book SQ25 747 F Sky Suites before they go bye-bye in January!
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
Need to book SQ25 747 F Sky Suites before they go bye-bye in January!
The last scheduled flights will be SIN-MEL from Jan 15 to early March. Saver Awards still available...
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by SMK77
The last scheduled flights will be SIN-MEL from Jan 15 to early March. Saver Awards still available...
Thank you, SMK77

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.