Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Higher Fuel Surcharges on Award tickets than paid?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2008, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A NZ Gold Elite for over 20 years previously SQ PPS and UA 1K

My last few trips AKL-SIN-LHR F class have had a fuel surcharge of $NZ307. However 2 recent award trips I booked on the same route had over $600 and over $700 each, one was Y one was J.

I asked KF about it and got the response:

We wish to inform you that the airport taxes for commercial paying tickets tend to be lower compared to redemption tickets as part of the airport taxes and fuel surcharges have been incorporated into the commercial fare conditions.

Comments?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 2:12 am

Hmm, to me, that seems a bit strange. Not heard of that one before.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 2:35 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
I know the same practice from LH, where the taxes on an award ticket are higher than on a cheap paid ticket.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 3:55 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
I have always had a difference between paid and redemption tickets on SQ between AKL and Asia for my flights.

SQ flights from NZ do not have fuel surcharges as an addition to a paid ticket but is part of the fees paid on a redemption ticket. As per KF response above.

The Commerce Commission in NZ suggested that the airlines include airline charges such as fuel surcharges to be part of the initial ticket price. The only additions are charges levied by Governments and Airports. The majority of airlines flying from NZ do this.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:34 am

Programs: CX DM, NH Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Plat
SIN-PEN award flight more costly than paid

Just waitlisted myself for an award -- though may cancel and pay -- SIN-PEN return. $445SGD for taxes and fees plus 12750 points. Can book now and pay on SilkAir for only $335SGD all inclusive!!

What gives?

Let me guess, the taxes and fees are calculated on full Y fare and not their savings fares.

However, what is strange is that before booking the flight the fare calculator on the left hand side of the page should only approx $120SGD for taxes and fees. Only when I confirmed the waitlist did the amount shoot up!
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by CPwingwalker
Just waitlisted myself for an award -- though may cancel and pay -- SIN-PEN return. $445SGD for taxes and fees plus 12750 points. Can book now and pay on SilkAir for only $335SGD all inclusive!!

What gives?

Let me guess, the taxes and fees are calculated on full Y fare and not their savings fares.

However, what is strange is that before booking the flight the fare calculator on the left hand side of the page should only approx $120SGD for taxes and fees. Only when I confirmed the waitlist did the amount shoot up!
For an hour flight, I would not bother and go with Jetstar instead for something like S$2 oneway (hand carry only). Or a mere S$61 all inclusive for a return!
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:07 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
+1

Jetstar services this route, as does Tiger Airways. You can really pick n' choose when it comes to SIN-PEN.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
Save your miles for a long haul J / F class ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.