Wiki Posts
Search

Remember when.....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Remember when.....

....SQ Cabins used to be spotless and really well maintained??

....Service in SQ Y was consistently good??

....Food and drink were plentiful and of good quality??

....Singapore Girls didn't have the charm and demeanor of a Singaporean Headmistress??

After a whirlwind HKG-SIN-LHR-SIN-HKG this weekend, all flights except SIN-LHR were mediocre at best. Tatty seats and planes, lots of food and beverage stains on walls, tables, seats. Tatty Y blankets. Instead of service with a smile, received service with a scowl on all these flights except for SIN-LHR where a steward, Terrance, probably gave the most natural and excellent service i've ever experienced in 18 years of flying. Amazing performance which i will surely write a note to SQ HQ about. However, everything else about this trip was very very sub par. My Asiana experiences in comparison have been much much better and consistent even though their hard product isn't as flash. What a shame SQ.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 7:05 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
You can pretty much substitute any airline for SQ and have the same post. Flying as a whole has changed over the years. I still feel SQ offers an outstanding product compared to NH, AC, UA, BA or even LH.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
When saying "remember when" and "SQ" in the same sentence reminds me of Slumberette #1 on the upper deck of the old 747-200. Not even the EK showers and seating in the 380 compare to the luxury of that in the 1970's. I realize the fondness is partly dim pleasure of the distant past, but still...
Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Flying has indeed changed over the years - but SQ still have one of the best products on offer IMHO...

I am sorry for your bad experience, thank goodness you did not take all those flights on the likes of UA in Y - you'd really have something to write about then... I do also really like Asiana.

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Originally Posted by payam81
You can pretty much substitute any airline for SQ and have the same post. Flying as a whole has changed over the years. I still feel SQ offers an outstanding product compared to NH, AC, UA, BA or even LH.
Granted, but to be honest, i've noticed alot of these things have only crept up within the past year or two.

Certainly from most markets you pay a premium to fly SQ, even in Y, so you would expect that they would be fastidious in maintaining product/service quality.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:04 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I can echo that from my many SQ Y flights the inflight service, quality of food, cabin state has slipped. Yes it is still good overall in comparison to some other carriers but for example Y food on SQ used to be one of the few places it was actually quite tasty. Well with the exception of the Indian Vegetarian meal out of SIN I just tried the last time my Y food has been well below what I'm used to on SQ.

Normaly I would eat for Y mid- to long-hauls on the ground except for SQ where I felt it would be okay to have the inflight meal. Now I'm trying to eat on the ground whenever possible. That last chicken dish I had reminded me of the greyish meat I can find in a 2-3SGD hawker meal of low quality. No reputable chicken rice seller would ever offer such meat and they only charge 4-5SGD a plate.

Crews have been from pleasant to somewhat indifferent (I thought I had gotten onto LH) to sour in a few (okay rare but still) instances. Maybe it is because of us being used to a higher standard on SQ that makes this more visible, but given SQ Y pricing is still high I do expect more.

Then I hear the SQ CEO brag that SQ Y is so good that they don't even need to consider a Premium Y product and I wonder when that guy had his reality checked the last time in regards to the wear & tear state of the cabins (I had broken tables, not working footrests, no audio on IFE, stained seat cushions - all Y plus look even at the 'not so new C' seats and the worn leather) or when he last tried a Y meal inflight and not on the ground freshly prepared for his tasting.

Last edited by demue; Feb 1, 2010 at 3:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.