Search

PEK-FRA-ZRH-MUC-PEK on LH/LX Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2009, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
PEK-FRA-ZRH-MUC-PEK on LH/LX Business Class

Due to the "balance shift" of global economy, I got posted to Beijing a few months ago from NYC/DC. However, I am still expected to do several European trips a year. Although LH provided good services out of JFK/IAD, I was too much of a UA loyalist to fly LH frequently. Now in Beijing, I am trying to find the best *A carrier to Europe. I was planing to try OS, CA or SAS to VIE/FRA/CPH, then connect to LX to ZHR, but got sick a couple of days before my trip, and decided to try LH (quickest to ZRH from PEK), which had better reviews than the other three choices.

I chose FRA (744) as transfer point on the outbound for the schedule and quick connection. MUC as the transfer point for the inbound, because I wanted to try A340-600.

I had a really a bad cold ( lots of mucus and coughs) two days before the trip, and was worried I caught H1N1 virus. With the fear that I might get detained when I arrive in Europe, I went to a foreigner operated hospital in Beijing to get treatment and to find out whether I had H1N1. I thought it was a proper thing to do as I don't want get people sick on the plane either, and I was prepared to be "locked up" by the Chinese health authority to minimize spreading the virus.

Unfortunately, the doctor told me not to worry. It was just a bad cold, and I should be ok to travel.....it turned out to be not a good advice after all ( more on this later).

I arrived in Beijing airport two hours before the flight, and the lines were already pretty long. Although LH had a bigger yellow sign directing F/C passengers to one side and Y passengers to another, there was no one there to police the traffic. I was not sure why the check-in process took so long. I have flown CA, SQ and UA often out of the PEK, and the priority check-in process have been very efficient.

After checking in, I visited the Air China/*A business lounge to grab some snacks and a couple of bottle of waters. I needed to drink a lot of fluid on the plane because I was on medication and also to minimize my coughs.

When I arrived at the gate, I saw an Etihad A330 just landed. I have never seen an Etihad airplane before. (My favorite soccer team, Manchester City of the English Premier Leauge, had their jerseys sponsored by Etihad recently)

LH seems to maintain their fleet in pretty good shape. I flew LH 744 several times between Asia and FRA, and on transatlantic routes over the past ten years, and have always been impressed with their interior maintenance.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jul 1, 2010 at 12:50 pm
Old Sep 4, 2009, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Work-in-Progress.....narratives will be updated shortly

I was impressed with the choices of reading materials on LH. Multiple copies of magazines and newspapers in Chinese, English and German were available. This is so different than what used to on UA, which provides almost no reading materials in C except for small numbers of newspapers.

The main C cabin seating are in 2-3-3 configuration. The front of the C cabin had 2+2 in the first three rows, and row 4 had 2-1-2 layout.

Although the LH C seat is supposed to be narrower than the new UA C seat, I found LH seat roomier than UA (perhaps it is the design of the seat). The remote control provides all the functional buttons of the IFE and seat. Several FTers had expressed that LH C's 170 degree position is hard to sleep on. I found it not bad. I used the seat control to recline the back and raise the foot rest to a certain level to a position similar to the lazyboy seat back home. The result is a very comfortable lounge chair that I felt I was sitting at home in Maryland watch TV.

Now, that I have moved overseas, I missed watching some of the US sitcoms. Here the "Big Bang Theory" is one of the favorites. I also watched "How I met your mother", another favorite show of mine.

Lunch was served soon after take off. My cold got really bad that I had really tough time controling my cough.
The appertizer was excellent. Scallopes and asparagus were just done right.

The chicken dish was not good. It is greasy, and I did not finish it.

I was glad to see the the 1967 film "The Graduate" showing. I saw it back in the late 80s as a teenager and did not quite understand it . I thought it was a great film when watched it again in the 90s. However, I did not think it was not that great after watching it again on this flight. The actings and music were great, but I thought the story was a little stupid now using my 2009 frame of mind....I mean how could Kathrine Ross fell in love with Dustin Hoffman after just having one drive-though meal and pretty much gave away everything (her family, school, etc.) and ran away with Dustin Hoffman in humiliation (in front of the friends and family at the wedding). I thought Anne Bancroft was hot!! Perhaps my sever cold was getting to me.....how could I possibly saying anything bad about one of the greatest movies from the 60s.

The midnight snack was a salmon sandwich. I ate one because I left most of my greasy chicken entree untouched.

The pre-arrival lunch plateful of cold meat and potato salad was the best meal on this flight. I was a little disappointed with the meals on this flight. The overall experience was good, but I was not feeling well and really regret of making the trip.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Sep 12, 2009 at 9:37 am
Old Sep 4, 2009, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

FRA to ZRH

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Sep 4, 2009 at 8:38 am
Old Sep 4, 2009, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Zurich

More to come!!

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Sep 4, 2009 at 8:37 am
Old Sep 4, 2009, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Zurich Airport

The photo of the sandwich does not do the sandwich justice. This roast beef sandwich was excellent. As others have pointed out, LH/LX serve food on most of the intra-Europen flights. Services were excellent on such a short flight.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Sep 8, 2009 at 6:08 pm
Old Sep 4, 2009, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Munich Senator's Lounge

I have visited the Munich Senator's Lounge once before, and I prefer it over the lounges at FRA.
There are less people at MUC and less crowded. However, I took a peak of the Business Lounge next dorr, and it was pretty packed. To this day, I still do not understand what are the admission criteria for Lufthansa's Senator's Lounge and Business Lounge, respectively.

I have flown cheapo Y and got into Senator's Lounge while a colleague of mine (has not status on *A) and managed only to get into the Business Lounge with a full C ticket. IMHO, the full C ticket worth a lot more than my cheap Y ticket using the UA *A gold affiliation. Perhaps someone can enlighen me with the LH lounge admission criteria.

As you can see from the photos listed below, the lounge offers full spread of cold and hot food, and lot's of drink options. There is also a self-service hot dog stand that I did not get a chance to take photos of. The only things I feel that is missing is the choice of English magazine and publications.

I would use MUC as a transit points to other parts of Europe for my future travel. The airport is more useer friendly and has better facilities than FRA.

I was still not feeling good, and did not really take advantage of the food and drink offerings at the lounge.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Sep 6, 2009 at 10:38 pm
Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

MUC to PEK on A340-600

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Sep 5, 2009 at 10:13 am
Old Sep 4, 2009, 10:48 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/10.2.012; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1; en-us) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) WicKed/7.1.12344)

great pics...
Old Sep 4, 2009, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K

great pics...
Thanks. Other than the pictures in Zurich city and a couple of close up of the planes, all the photos are taken using my iPhone.

I thought I gave my iPhone camera a test run on this trip. it seems to be ok.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Very nice pictures! Thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Nice report!

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Thanks. Other than the pictures in Zurich city and a couple of close up of the planes, all the photos are taken using my iPhone.

I thought I gave my iPhone camera a test run on this trip. it seems to be ok.
This was a very nice report. I really enjoyed reading it. Can I ask you two things?

1) if you used your iphone to take pictures, how come there is a blackberry in your photo when you are in Zurich, eating that massive piece of meat with a piece of bone sticking out of it? do you have both iphone and blackberry?

2) how does LH business compare to UA business, as someone who as flown both? what would you fly next time, and do you have a preference?

Thanks again!
Old Sep 8, 2009, 4:58 am

I also have an iphone but my pics never look like yours... These are great shots.. thanks so much......
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:14 am

Great Report. Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:27 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Very Nice report! I agree the pics are great!
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:33 pm

Thanks for the report, although I prefer those that are little more text based.

So why was the doctors advice bad? Did you really have swine flu?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.