Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you see the upgrade / upgrade wait list? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2009, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President Circle
Can you see the upgrade / upgrade wait list? (consolidated)

Is there any way to figure out where you stand on the upgrade list? I am only a little over 1 day out and the flight shows A2. I would use miles but hate the idea of paying 15k and 150.00 usd. I am only Gold so not sure my chances are very good but have plenty of 500 milers. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old Aug 17, 2009, 6:58 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Yes, at the airport (for the most part), but generally not beforehand. "They" can see it, but usually won't tell you since it's always in flux.

Cheers.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 7:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Since we don't have any data, we can't even make wild guesses.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President Circle
ok - data for wild guesses -

Looking for upgrade on a nearly full flight from DFW-SAN on Super80. Flight shows F7 A2. I am AA Gold.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by JDiver
Since we don't have any data, we can't even make wild guesses.
Sure we can -- when did this EVER stop the AA board?

Originally Posted by ldsny
Looking for upgrade on a nearly full flight from DFW-SAN on Super80. Flight shows F7 A2. I am AA Gold.
If the exit row seats were taken when you booked, that's a sign that there were other elites on the flight ahead of you. Since you are GLD, they would come ahead of you on the upgrade list if they had requested upgrades at the time of ticketing.

That's not dispositive, but it has multiple facts (i.e., data).
Old Aug 17, 2009, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely not worth doing a mileage upgrade, even without the close-in booking fee, but I know that's not exactly what you were asking. If you don't already have an exit row seat, check back frequently as higher-priority elites will often clear into F out of their pre-booked exit row seats. Note that you can't change your seat assignment after you check-in online, and I don't think there's any advantage of checking in early, so just sit tight.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Definitely not worth doing a mileage upgrade, even without the close-in booking fee, but I know that's not exactly what you were asking. If you don't already have an exit row seat, check back frequently as higher-priority elites will often clear into F out of their pre-booked exit row seats. Note that you can't change your seat assignment after you check-in online, and I don't think there's any advantage of checking in early, so just sit tight.
totally agree. I can't see using miles to upgrade DFW-SAN. my biz partner wouldn't even use stickers for AUS-DFW at PLT and now even though EXP still doesn't bother.

I would do as ijgordon suggests and hold off on checking in until you're at the airport.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ijgordon
If you don't already have an exit row seat, check back frequently as higher-priority elites will often clear into F out of their pre-booked exit row seats. Note that you can't change your seat assignment after you check-in online, and I don't think there's any advantage of checking in early, so just sit tight.
If you're an Admiral's Club member, you might be able to call and have them change your seat after check-in, as well as tell you where you are on the upgrade list. (Not completely sure about this since they disabled the ability to call one's local AC directly and instead handle calls at their central facility, but in theory they can do it.)
Old Aug 18, 2009, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anabolism
If you're an Admiral's Club member, you might be able to call and have them change your seat after check-in, as well as tell you where you are on the upgrade list. (Not completely sure about this since they disabled the ability to call one's local AC directly and instead handle calls at their central facility, but in theory they can do it.)
You could, but there's really no reason to. Just check in at the airport or right before you leave home/work, and then go to the gate or AC in person to see the upgrade standby list. End result is likely to be the same...
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
Domestic UG W/L Position

On domestic flights, the upgrade list is displayed on the screen next to the gate wherever applicable. Is that information available anywhere else? EXP desk, check in counter? It would be nice if AA started displaying that information online like CO and DL.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
It would be nice to see it online, but not happening right now with AA.

You might get someone to tell you on the EXP desk. But previous posts here suggest they are usually reluctant, apparently because the upgrade order is very fluid.

You would stand a better chance of finding out at the check-in counter.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM; Hertz President's Circle; Hilton Gold
Or in AC. They can tell you.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
When I check in at the ticket counter, they have always been happy to tell me what number I am on the list when I ask.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP
I've had no problems finding out at an AC. the EXP desk has told me before. The ConciergeKey desk surprisingly was split- once they told me I was #2 in the list, and a later time told me that "we don't have visibility into that list"...
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MiaAA
Or in AC. They can tell you.
If you're a member (OP's profile doesn't say). Or have access with an AMEX Plat card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.