Will United ever let you cancel non-refundable tickets ?

Subscribe
and give a refund, or future travel, etc. ?

United in this case

8/19 flight

What should you say/ ask for ?

TY

Doug
Quote: and give a refund, or future travel, etc. ?

United in this case

8/19 flight

What should you say/ ask for ?

TY

Doug
The only way I have seen them allow a cancellation/change if the airline cannot fulfill the contract. Example being a cancellation on the airline's part. One could always hope for huricane or some weather that would allow the airline to make a cancel / change offer available, but I do not know of many other reasons that they would do this. Others on here can correct me....
Quote: and give a refund, or future travel, etc. ?

United in this case

8/19 flight
Ticket Refunds on UA:

Quote:
United’s commitment:

Fare rules associated with your ticket purchase determine if the ticket is refundable. Many markets offer non-refundable fares in all cabins of service. In any instance where refunds are appropriate, United will process requests in a timely manner and refund the fare back to the original form of payment. Non-refundable tickets can be exchanged for a future ticket for up to one year from the ticket issue date as long as the reservation is canceled on or before the first travel date on the ticket. Please call United Reservations toll-free at 1-800-UNITED-1 (800-864-8331) for details.
Better read your fare rules before you call. You may have to pay up the change fee though.

Welcome to FT!
Quote: Ticekt Refunds on UA:

Better read your fare rules before you call. You may have to pay up the change fee though.

Welcome to FT!

Depending on the fare rules, I would guess the change fee is around $150. In my original post, i took it from the perspective of cancelling / changing without penalty.
There are a few cases, such as jury duty, and death of a family memeber, listed here, that will get change fees waived. If you can fake your own death, and get a valid appearing death certificate, you (or your heirs) can get a full refund.
Quote: If you can fake your own death, and get a valid appearing death certificate, you (or your heirs) can get a full refund.
Please advise which ticket (airline/class/fare/itinerary) is worth faking one's death in order to obtain a full refund?
As this apprears specific to UA, I'll move this to our United Mileage Plus forum for added discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz and United.
I believe they will let you cancel if there are flight changes (apparently these need to be significantly different) and hospitalizations (you will need hospital and MD documentation, and this may only work on the return leg.)
Quote: What should you say/ ask for ?
Why don't you tell us what the reason is for your desire to cancel, and then we can tell you if you have a chance to convince UA to cancel without a fee (as others have pointed out, canceling is generally not a problem, it just costs you a change fee).

Or are you looking for made up excuses that work? If so, sorry, not going to help you with that.
Okay, here's an example: my in-laws plan to go to Las Vegas and purchase non-refundable tickets for, say, $600.

A few days before the flight, my father-in-law takes ill and his doctor advises no travel. So I would call to cancel the reservation, provide the necessary info by mail, and then what? Would I get a note of some kind saying that they won't have to pay the cancellation fee the next time they try and use the value of the ticket?

I know that if the ticket costs $650, they would have to come up with the additional $50. But what if the ticket is $550? Would they get a credit voucher for $50 for a future trip?
Quote: Okay, here's an example: my in-laws plan to go to Las Vegas and purchase non-refundable tickets for, say, $600.

A few days before the flight, my father-in-law takes ill and his doctor advises no travel. So I would call to cancel the reservation, provide the necessary info by mail, and then what? Would I get a note of some kind saying that they won't have to pay the cancellation fee the next time they try and use the value of the ticket?

I know that if the ticket costs $650, they would have to come up with the additional $50. But what if the ticket is $550? Would they get a credit voucher for $50 for a future trip?
You get a refund for the reminding value -- if the trip was not taken, $600 in this case. Essentially a do-over
Quote: You get a refund for the reminding value -- if the trip was not taken, $600 in this case. Essentially a do-over
Oh, you mean you literally get a check (or a credit card refund) in the mail even on a non-refundable ticket?

Pretty generous of UA, I must say. ^
You can always cancel such a ticket and use the cash value towards another flight within a year of the issue of the original ticket, less the applicable cancellation/change fee. So UA -- like other airlines -- does let you cancel a non-refundable ticket, and use it towards future travel. Your thread title is answered Yes.
Quote: Oh, you mean you literally get a check (or a credit card refund) in the mail even on a non-refundable ticket?

Pretty generous of UA, I must say. ^
More like a gift card (well e-certs probably). You won't get a refund to your original form of payment unless it's the absolutely last resort for united.
Quote: More like a gift card (well e-certs probably). You won't get a refund to your original form of payment unless it's the absolutely last resort for united.
I wrote about this in an older (but similar) thread: I was able to get a full refund back to my credit card on a "W" fare ticket LAX-NRT for medical reasons. This was in May of 2008.