Wiki Posts
Search

Lady Liberty Crown to reopen on July 4, 2009! - Ticket info here

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2009, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Lady Liberty Crown to reopen on July 4, 2009! - Ticket info here

The Department of the Interior has agreed to reopen the interior stairwell and access to the crown of the Statue of Liberty effective this summer. Only 10 people at a time, but it is better than nothing.

http://www.wanderingaramean.com/2009/05/welcome-back-to-crown-of-lady-liberty.html

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/05/08...own/index.html
http://www.doi.gov/news/09_News_Releases/050809.html
Old May 8, 2009, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Thanks. Just in time for our mid-July visit. Now, does anyone want to volunteer to be a tour guide?
Old May 8, 2009, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philemer
Thanks. Just in time for our mid-July visit. Now, does anyone want to volunteer to be a tour guide?
I'm happy to be a tour guide for you, but a visit to Liberty Island likely wouldn't be on the itinerary. It was nice and all, but the views are easier, cheaper and faster to get with a ride on the SI Ferry. I didn't think that the ride to the island, with the commensurate waits in lines and whatnot, was worth it for what we got out of it.

And I doubt that getting tix to the crown will be easy. Nor will the lines be any better.
Old May 8, 2009, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
From The New York Times:

A spokeswoman for Mr. Salazar said that the method for distributing tickets had yet to be determined but that the secretary was committed to making sure the process was fair and equitable. Early reports that a lottery system would be used were incorrect, she said.
I wonder what they have in mind. People will go balistic if these tickets show up on Craigslist for $1,000. (Jay Leno's free concert tickets recently were going for $800.)
Old Jun 13, 2009, 11:20 pm

Visiting The Statue Of Liberty Crown

As previously reported here, the Statue of Liberty Crown reopens to the public on July 4, 2009 after a closure lasting since 9/11.

Tickets went on sale at 10:00 A.M. yesterday and here is a report on the buying process.

There is only one authorized vendor for the tickets, Statue Cruises, LLC. and two means of purchase:

1. You can call 1-877-523-9849 (877-LADY TIX), the same number used for regular tickets to Liberty Island.

(I apologize to NYC Forum visitors from outside the United States, but I was unable to find a non-toll-free number for you to call. The company's fax number however, is (201) 432-1801 and their e-mail is [email protected].)

2. You can order from the website. The direct page for ordering is http://www.statuecruises.com/ferry-service/welcome.aspx and you can order up to one year in advance.

After clicking on this link, you select your departure point, either Battery Park, Manhattan or Liberty State Park, New Jersey.

Then you choose the ticket type, "Reserve With Crown Ticket." As of today, regular adult prices are $12 a ticket with a $3 "crown surcharge." (Doesn't this sound British? )

There is a limit of four tickets and you will need to give the first and last name of each visitor who will need to have ID that matches the name.

You click on the next page and you are offered a choice of "crown access" and "crown access with audio tour." After you choose one or the other, you get to the "Select a date and time" page.

As of the posting of this message, every single opportunity until July 12, 2009 is sold out and on that day, only 12:00 Noon is available. [Edited: just sold out.]

After you select the date, time, number of tickets and specify the names, you pay by credit card. You will need the same card when you pick up the tickets at the ferry terminal.

There's a FAQ that gives more information and advisories, particularly as to health.

It looks like that the National Park Service has addressed the concerns I had in the other thread (and I am sure shared by many other people) because I cannot see how scalpers can do business under this system. ^

I seem to recall that during the summer months prior to 9/11 it was not unusual for the temperatures inside the Statue to hit 110° F. (43° C.) so be smart.

[A personal note: I would very much appreciate this message not being copied and re-posted outside of this forum.]

Last edited by Landing Gear; Jul 13, 2009 at 11:08 pm
Old Jun 13, 2009, 11:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
At only 30 people per hour allowed up there, I expect it to continue to be a tough ticket to get your hands on.

It's a shame they went with a San Francisco based company to sell tickets. Nothing against the West Coast companies, but one would think they could use a local group for tickets.

They are part of the Hornblower Cruise group, their number is (415) 788-8866 , if somebody needs to call them they can probably transfer you to the right people.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
At only 30 people per hour allowed up there, I expect it to continue to be a tough ticket to get your hands on.

It's a shame they went with a San Francisco based company to sell tickets. Nothing against the West Coast companies, but one would think they could use a local group for tickets.
I don't need to tell you about contract bidding. Ahem.

By the way, I went on that company's tour to Alcatraz which was pretty good except for the audio portion.

Let's see what this will be like.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 8:21 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
We did their 4th of July Big Boat Dinner Cruise when we were in San Francisco under the fireworks, no problems at all, well run operation, nothing against them at all. I'm pretty sure the can run a better operation then if they did keep it locally knowing how things work here.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 1:51 pm

I'm hoping all goes well for my visit. I figure they would give it at least a weekend before saying the idea was no good.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I'm hoping all goes well for my visit. I figure they would give it at least a weekend before saying the idea was no good.
I decide that we're going back to NYC sometime in the future. I'm gladly to hear the news came in today but, I didn't realize know where the original thread is already existing. Sorry about our moderators decide to have locked the previously thread. Where I will climbed the stairs. I think its good exercise for my own. It will have more stretch the legs.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
I decide that we're going back to NYC sometime in the future. I'm gladly to hear the news came in today but, I didn't realize know where the original thread is already existing. Sorry about our moderators decide to have locked the previously thread. Where I will climbed the stairs. I think its good exercise for my own. It will have more stretch the legs.
The New York Times said yesterday that it is 354 steps from the ground to the top so that will give your legs a stretch.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The New York Times said yesterday that it is 354 steps from the ground to the top so that will give your legs a stretch.
Yes, I can do that myself. This is very good exercise for my own. I can barely made it for reachable the tops.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 4:10 pm

WNBC-TV just reported that access to the crown is sold out until November.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WNBC-TV just reported that access to the crown is sold out until November.
Wow! It was lot of those people who want go up the top. I can't believe it. It was so much time to see Statue of Liberty.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 5:32 pm

[removed quote of now-deleted post and response thereto]

The experience is nothing less than spectacular. I should know. I climbed to the crown this morning.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 5, 2009 at 5:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.