Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gogo Inflight Wifi Rolling out on MD-80 Aircraft (May 2009-)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2009, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 7MM
Gogo Inflight Wifi Rolling out on MD-80 Aircraft (May 2009-)

The impression I got was that some MD80's were going to roll out right away. Has that happened yet? If not does anyone know when the roll out will start?

Just curious as that is about all I fly domestically just about every week (ORD-RDU).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

GMSK has posted a list of ship numbers of Gogo-equipped MD-80s as of 7/21/09 HERE.

Last edited by dstan; Jul 21, 2009 at 2:24 pm
Old Apr 8, 2009, 6:40 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
I think it IS happening, but the chances are small, a few out of 279.

AirCell has a counter on their home page, which has moved from 129 to 130 this week.

http://www.aircell.com/

They describe the process as able to be performed overnight - i.e. doesn't require a C or D check.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by berksmapexp
The impression I got was that some MD80's were going to roll out right away. Has that happened yet? If not does anyone know when the roll out will start?

Just curious as that is about all I fly domestically just about every week (ORD-RDU).
AFAIK, it's still just the one MD-80 operating. It was only a week ago that AA announced that the tests were successful and that they would begin installs on the rest of the MD-80s.
Old May 7, 2009, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Using Go-Go right now on MD80

RDU-ORD. Works like a charm. Nice to see them on here.

Last edited by dstan; May 8, 2009 at 9:32 pm Reason: updated thread title and restored OP title
Old May 7, 2009, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat- 2MM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold\
what was the price?
Old May 7, 2009, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Using Go-Go

$12.99
Old May 7, 2009, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Was there any signage (or any brochures) in the gate waiting area? Or did you first discover your good fortune on-board?
Old May 7, 2009, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
wow what a revenue. 12.99 for a few minutes of service on RDu to ORD......good going gogo, you are going to make a killing if this keeps up.
Old May 7, 2009, 5:16 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Steph3n
wow what a revenue. 12.99 for a few minutes of service on RDu to ORD......good going gogo, you are going to make a killing if this keeps up.
I agree: $13 for a trans-con, sure.

$13 for about an hour ORD-RDU? Hope there's some revenue being realized to cover that.

Love your sig.
Old May 7, 2009, 6:55 pm

Programs: Grounded
Originally Posted by Spiff
I agree: $13 for a trans-con, sure.

$13 for about an hour ORD-RDU? Hope there's some revenue being realized to cover that.

Love your sig.
I thought the pricing was supposed to be $9.95 on flights <3 hrs?

Either way, short hops like these or connecting flights make their new monthly plan all the more attractive.
Old May 7, 2009, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
Originally Posted by MrPink
I thought the pricing was supposed to be $9.95 on flights <3 hrs?

Either way, short hops like these or connecting flights make their new monthly plan all the more attractive.
I sent a suggestion to AA Customer Relations regarding GoGo pricing for connecting flights. Here is part of the response (bolding mine):

"Pricing for the Gogo® service is as follows:

Long Flight Pass: $12.95 - Standard price for flights longer than 3 hours
Short Flight Pass: $9.95 - Standard price for flights 3 hours or less
Mobile Flight Pass: $7.95 - Mobile device price for flights of any length

In conjunction with the pricing options above, we're delighted to tell you that a daypass option will be coming soon, enabling you to use the service on all of your connecting flights. In all likelihood, the daypass will be available later this Spring, or early Summer."
Old May 7, 2009, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Using Go-Go right now on MD80

You know it was odd but I don't remember seeing any signage. I discovered it when I went to check e-mail on my Iphone and the Go-Go network popped up as a wireless connection.

After the standard boarding announcements the FA made the announcement about Go-go. The FA's kept asking me if I liked it and said that this was the first time they saw it being offered and used on the MD80.

Also, it may have been $9.99. I thought it came up as $12.99 but I could be wrong. I'll check my Amex statement to verify. The flight from RDU-ORD is usually around an hour and 40 minutes but I still liked the idea of having the access and I'm glad AA is doing this.
Old May 7, 2009, 8:35 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by AAMillionaire
In conjunction with the pricing options above, we're delighted to tell you that a daypass option will be coming soon, enabling you to use the service on all of your connecting flights. In all likelihood, the daypass will be available later this Spring, or early Summer."
C'mon, complimentary GoGo passes at the Flagship Lounges...
Old May 7, 2009, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wow. $7.95 to use my iphone to catch up on emails on a flight. Im loving that. Hurry and get it on all of the planes AA! Hope they have it on my flight next week.
Old May 7, 2009, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I used it yesterday on AA547 ORD-PSP, one of the old TWA MD80s. It worked great. ^

FA made an announcement as we climbed thru 10K. It was $12.95 but would have been only $9 and change if I'd known the discount promotional code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.