Wiki Posts
Search

Best Current Long Distance Deals/Bonuses for Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2004, 11:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Best Current Long Distance Deals/Bonuses for Miles

I just moved and want to get home long distance. What's the best current long distance deals/bonuses. I am a current member in frequent flyer programs of CO, AA, and United.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 9:29 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
pgary's site at http://home.earthlink.net/~pgary/MilesFrame.html has a lot of information on long-distance deals.

------------------
Middle_Seat
Old Jan 4, 2004, 11:43 pm
Original Member

But my site is about 2 weeks out of date. I was traveling to some place warm. Give me a week or two to catch up.

I did get the 10,000 American miles in 5 months AT&T deal last week for myself. Called as if I were getting the Delta or Continental offer (don't remember which), and kept calling until I found someone who knew how to get the offer for American. Tell the rep to use the "Default Code" for American, if that's the airline you want. If they tell you you can get only 5000, or that you have to sign up for local service too, hang up and call back.

------------------
Free Frequent Flyer Miles
Old Jan 7, 2004, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
After consulting pgary's fantastic website, I called Sprint to see what kind of deal I could get for United Airlines Mileage Plus miles. I called 1-800-880-6171, which is technically the Alaska Airlines/Sprint number, but it works fine to sign-up for Sprint service with credit for other airlines' frequent flier programs as well.

The best deal is promo 40088101. It affords 10,000 Mileage Plus miles for six months of service, payable in 5,000 mile increments four to six weeks after the first and sixth months' invoices are paid. The only caveat with Sprint is that any frequent flier mileage benefits are conditioned on signing up for a minimum $3.95 per month plan.

Sprint also tossed in 250 miles for signing up for online account access and 1,000 more miles for accepting a phone card (which comes with a 99 cent per call connection fee; it won't take long to hit the trash bin after it shows up in the mail!).

[This message has been edited by cAAl (edited Jan 07, 2004).]
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3MM - DL - UA - HHONORS - HYATT - MARRIOTT - SPG
http://shop.sprint.com/residential/v...75&CID=uaefare

10,000 with Sprint for 5 cents a minute normal Long Distance only at $ 3.95 a month or $ 7.95 with international. 12 cents a minute to Germany for example.

Miles post 5,000 after month 1 and other 5,000 after month 6.

Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:25 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Just be sure to check your Sprint bills carefully. I signed up for the United 10,000 Offer in Sept and so far have been charged .25 per minute on the 1st invoice and a $8.95 per month fee on the 2nd. Also the rep told me I was not getting the miles when my printed confirmation said I was, I can't wait to see this month's invoice. The 1st 5ooo miles posted in Nov, backdated.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:56 am

The best deal by far is a company name local dial. While they offer zero miles, they do have a plan that gives you unlimited local and domestic long distance calls for a flat $15 per month. I have saved hundred of dollars and that gets me a free ticket much faster than what the other phone companies offer.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 1:37 pm

I'm along the same lines as tango. I use ZoneLD.com and my bill is about $5/month. For the same ammount of usage I was paying sprint about $40/month, and collecting UA miles.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 1:47 pm

I signed up for Sprint's 6K USAir promo and got my points. Is there a way to sign up for the 10K promo or is it just for new customers?
Old Jan 13, 2004, 1:58 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FFSaver:
I signed up for Sprint's 6K USAir promo and got my points. Is there a way to sign up for the 10K promo or is it just for new customers?</font>
Most of these promos are good for new customers only, and they say you can only sign up after being canceled for 6 months. I have however been successful by signing up more frequently then 6 months after canceling.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
note that with sprint , in order to earn any FF, you MUST spend at least $1-2 a month on calls. Somewhere in the fine print, it says something like this. Check it all and do spend money. This is not just the fees, so make some calls if only for the sake of it.

MM
Old Jan 14, 2004, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marathon Man:
note that with sprint , in order to earn any FF, you MUST spend at least $1-2 a month on calls. Somewhere in the fine print, it says something like this. Check it all and do spend money. This is not just the fees, so make some calls if only for the sake of it.

MM
</font>
Marathon Man: I looked, but I couldn't find any minimum calling requirement in the terms and conditions of the 10,000 mile Mileage Plus promotion. Here they are verbatim:

"Sprint Long Distance Offer: New Sprint customers and residential, direct-dial calling only. U.S. residents only. In-state rates may be higher. International rates vary and surcharges may apply (including surcharges on residential calls made to foreign mobile phones). Dial-one service not available in Alaska. Additional in-state fees may apply. Carrier Cost Recovery Charge of $0.99 per month will be assessed on any bill with Sprint long-distance charges or usage activity. Carrier Universal Service charges will apply. Operator-assisted calls and toll-free/calling card calls made from payphones in the U.S. will be assessed a surcharge. All rates subject to change. Restrictions apply-see rates, terms and conditions at sprint.com. Customers will receive 10,000 Mileage Plus miles by signing up for Sprint residential long-distance service, awarded in two installments - 5,000 miles each four to six weeks after the first and sixth Sprint invoices. One offer per household."

Am I missing something?
Old Jan 15, 2004, 8:36 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marathon Man:

</font>
I just finished receiving 10K UA miles from
Sprint and never made a call during the period. I was on a $2/mo. plan, so with taxes, fees, etc. my bill was $3.79 every month. I've switched to AT&T for 5K DL miles and they offer a no-fee, no-minimum, 35 cent per call connection fee plan which is perfect (this plan is not on their website; you need to ask for it specifically). Last time I was on this plan I didn't even receive a bill for the entire period. As I've stated before, I've used www.onesuite.com for all my LD calls for about four years now and have been very satisfied with the service. I push one speed dial button and start dialing at 2.5 cent/min. with NO additional fees.

Old Jan 15, 2004, 2:30 pm
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cAAl:
Marathon Man: I looked, but I couldn't find any minimum calling requirement in the terms and conditions of the 10,000 mile Mileage Plus promotion. Here they are verbatim:

"Sprint Long Distance Offer: New Sprint customers and residential, direct-dial calling only. U.S. residents only. In-state rates may be higher. International rates vary and surcharges may apply (including surcharges on residential calls made to foreign mobile phones). Dial-one service not available in Alaska. Additional in-state fees may apply. Carrier Cost Recovery Charge of $0.99 per month will be assessed on any bill with Sprint long-distance charges or usage activity. Carrier Universal Service charges will apply. Operator-assisted calls and toll-free/calling card calls made from payphones in the U.S. will be assessed a surcharge. All rates subject to change. Restrictions apply-see rates, terms and conditions at sprint.com. Customers will receive 10,000 Mileage Plus miles by signing up for Sprint residential long-distance service, awarded in two installments - 5,000 miles each four to six weeks after the first and sixth Sprint invoices. One offer per household."

Am I missing something?
</font>
Regardless of the fine print, Sprint does require that you generate an invoice of at least $1 before they will give you miles. I had a long email argument with them on this. They wouldn't budge. Somewhat sleazy, I think, but about what I would expect from this company. Makes me feel better about taking miles from them without using their services much.

------------------
Free Frequent Flyer Miles
Old Jan 15, 2004, 3:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pgary:
Regardless of the fine print, Sprint does require that you generate an invoice of at least $1 before they will give you miles. I had a long email argument with them on this. They wouldn't budge. Somewhat sleazy, I think, but about what I would expect from this company. Makes me feel better about taking miles from them without using their services much.

</font>
As I stated in my previous post, I NEVER made a call on Sprint and received all the miles. Apparently, my monthly fee of $2, was enough to qualify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.