Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Revenue Flight of 767-300ER Featuring Blended Winglets

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:52 pm
jsm
Original Poster

Location: Northridge, CA, - AA EXP 3 MM , Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC, Lots of other programs and points
First Revenue Flight of 767-300ER Featuring Blended Winglets

Anyone on this flight??

American Airlines and Aviation Partners Boeing Announce First Revenue Flight of a Boeing 767-300ER Featuring Blended Winglets
Monday March 9, 10:37 am ET

Annual Fuel Savings of up to 500,000 Gallons Per Aircraft

FORT WORTH, Texas, March 9 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Airlines and Aviation Partners Boeing (APB) announced today the first revenue flight of a Boeing 767-300ER with APB's Blended Winglets(TM). American Flight #78 left Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport Sunday, March 8, at 8:35 p.m. with 204 passengers onboard and arrived ahead of schedule at London Heathrow Airport on Monday, March 9, at 10:26 a.m.

ADVERTISEMENT
"We are pleased that APB chose to partner with American to develop and install these Blended Winglets, and we are especially happy that we also operated the first flight with customers onboard a winglet-equipped 767-300ER," said Bob Reding, American's Executive Vice President - Operations. "The fuel savings and emissions reductions that we will achieve are one more step in our efforts to both moderate costs and shrink the impact we have on our environment - two goals that go hand-in-hand."

The increased lift provided by the winglets, without a corresponding increase of engine power, improves fuel efficiency. Each airplane equipped with the winglets is expected to save up to 500,000 gallons of fuel annually depending on miles flown, according to APB. American plans to install winglets on its entire 58 aircraft fleet of 767-300ERs, which could result in a total savings of up to 29 million gallons of fuel per year. That represents a significant potential increase to the 111 million gallons of fuel that American currently saves through its Fuel Smart efficiency program.

In addition to the fuel cost savings, this 767-300ER fuel efficiency improvement will result in a reduction of up to 277,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions annually, according to APB. The 11-foot high winglets could also extend the range of an aircraft by as much as 360 nautical miles and improve take-off performance, providing as much as 12,000 pounds of additional payload.

"The 767-300ER Blended Winglets have been the most complicated product development program in the history of Aviation Partners Boeing. We owe a huge debt of gratitude to our launch partner, American Airlines, and our other pre-certification customers for their continued faith in APB and Blended Winglet technology and their patience and support through a challenging certification process. These winglets represent the largest piece of structure ever retrofitted to a commercial aircraft wing and will dramatically change forever both the appearance and performance of the 767-300ER," said John Reimers, Aviation Partners Boeing President and CEO.

The winglet installation work was accomplished by American's Maintenance & Engineering organization at its maintenance base in Kansas City, Mo. American expects to modify all of its 767-300ER aircraft by 2011. American has already completed Blended Winglet installation on its fleets of 124 Boeing 757s and 77 Boeing 737s.

American's in-house maintenance organization accomplishes more than 90 percent of American's maintenance. American Maintenance Services will also install the B-767 as well as B-757 and B-737 Blended Winglets on other Aviation Partners Boeing customers' aircraft at its existing base maintenance facilities in Tulsa, Okla.; Kansas City; or Fort Worth, Texas.

"Our mechanics and engineers are highly experienced, and we have outstanding facilities and the resources necessary to excel at this kind of complex structural installation," said Carmine Romano, Senior Vice President - Maintenance & Engineering, for American. "The efficiency that allows us to do this kind of work in house also allows us to provide the same service to our customers, and they simply can't get that anywhere else."

APB began the flight test certification program in February 2008 with a leased American Airlines 767-300ER. The two companies jointly began the winglet development program early in 2007.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:56 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Just to nitpick a little ... first revenue flight ...
Old Mar 9, 2009, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
Do you think they will just sub the 767s in/out of MCI, and occasionally replace an MD-80/757 flight?

Or will they fly to DFW as a non-rev flight, to make sure all is well?

The important question is whether I can get a 767 on MCI-DFW
Old Mar 9, 2009, 2:10 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ja_user
Do you think they will just sub the 767s in/out of MCI, and occasionally replace an MD-80/757 flight?

Or will they fly to DFW as a non-rev flight, to make sure all is well?

The important question is whether I can get a 767 on MCI-DFW
I believe 767 maintenance is pretty much all done at MCI already, not just installation of these winglets, and I've never seen an AA 767 at the terminal being used for a flight. I think they probably just ferry them in and out for maintenance.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by Beckles
I believe 767 maintenance is pretty much all done at MCI already, not just installation of these winglets, and I've never seen an AA 767 at the terminal being used for a flight. I think they probably just ferry them in and out for maintenance.
I am sure AA runs a good number of these flights as ferries, but believe it or not they sub 762s in a fair amount on the DFW-MCI runs. Normally, you will see a 762 do a LAX-DFW-MCI trip (and back). I haven't been on a 763 up to MCI, but I wouldn't be surprised if AA did the same thing for that aircraft.

Hopefully I will get a chance to experience the 763 with wingtips soon. Even though nothing is different inside, it is always nice to try something new.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, UA 1P, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Saw it on the tarmac, but I wasn't on the flight.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
AA Blended winglets and fuel savings

American Airlines and Aviation Partners Boeing (APB) announced today the first revenue flight of a Boeing 767-300ER with APB’s Blended Winglets™.

<remainder quotes same source as OP, verbatim>

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 10, 2009 at 2:51 pm Reason: delete unnecessary verbatim of OP
Old Mar 10, 2009, 2:31 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-winglets.html
Search terms "blended" "winglet"

Cheers.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Beckles
Just to nitpick a little ... first revenue flight ...
Perhaps they call it non-revenue flight when they are testing the AC. It make sense to me.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 6:44 pm
Suspended

i saw it take off today around 1130am from LHR right ahead or behind an SQ A380.

I remember thinking it didnt look like a 757, now i know it wasnt
Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Wirelessly posted (Sony Ericsson P1i: SonyEricssonP1i/R100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Symbian OS; 636) Opera 8.65 [en-US])

Yes! I've got this bird today on LHR-RDU. Sitting at the gate now. I managed to snap a few pics from the gate, will try to get them on later. Definitely the biggest winglets I've ever seen.

Last edited by JJeffrey; Mar 11, 2009 at 4:36 am
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT 6MM
There's a nice picture in this related article:

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...h-blended.html
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:54 am
kjh

ROI thoughts

this website http://www.b737.org.uk/winglets.htm suggests that for a 737 the winglets cost about $725K + $80K to install, so I would guess for a larger winglet on a 767, the total cost might be about $1 million. With 500K gallons fuel savings per year, that might be just over a 1 year pay back.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 9:01 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
I've always wondered why Boeing just doesn't manufacture new planes like the 777, and the upcoming 787 Dreamliner with winglets already attached? AA has probably spent a fortune retrofitting 737/777 and 767 aircraft with winglets. Why not just buy them that way from the factory? Just curious.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
Originally Posted by boeing727
I've always wondered why Boeing just doesn't manufacture new planes like the 777, and the upcoming 787 Dreamliner with winglets already attached? AA has probably spent a fortune retrofitting 737/777 and 767 aircraft with winglets. Why not just buy them that way from the factory? Just curious.
because once-upon-a-time, right when AA was ordering receiving first 777s and ordering first 738s, oil was $10/barrel. they were spending more then on executive three-martini lunches than on fuel.

btw: AAs 777s are not retro-fitted with winglets, nor have i heard of any plans to do so. sounds like the 763s were challenge enough to retrofit. if oil prices rise dramatically again as some predict, then they might have to look into this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.