Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

What to do in NYC during Christmas (2008, consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2008, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Me&my GF will be staying in NYC from 23'rd till 27'th of Dec. Seems it'll be first Xmas without my family (just as Italians Poles are very serious about Xmas and it's the most important family event throught the year) and I'd like to feel a bit spirit of this day... Any ideas where could I spend this evening?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

Two 2008 threads inquiring about Christmas in NYC have now been merged to serve as an archived resource on NYC events during the holidays.

dstan
NYC Forum Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Oct 4, 2009 at 7:30 pm Reason: updated thread title and restored OP title
Old Dec 6, 2008, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What "spirit" of the day are you looking for?

For me the "spirit" is Chinatown and soup dumplings. My guess is that yours is different based on your comments. Are you looking for a church? Something else?
Old Dec 7, 2008, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Sorry for being not precise Here's a little background of what is Xmas for us by wiki:

In many cultures, a festive dinner is traditionally served for the family and close friends in attendance, when the first star (usually Sirius) arrives on the sky. In Poland it is known as Wigilia (Eve), and being invited to attend a Wigilia dinner with a family is considered a high honour. Unless attendance is impossible or otherwise too impractical, or if the person has made other plans already, turning down such an invitation, or not showing up can be considered extremely rude. Families in some Slavic countries leave one extra place setting for lost visitor (alluding to St. Mary and St. Joseph looking for shelter).

Before eating everyone exchanges Christmas greetings with each other by giving a piece of Christmas wafer (Opłatki), usually stamped with a religious image, such as the Nativity scene. There is a tradition of having at least 12 (or its multiple) Lenten (meatless) dishes. One has to try every single dish to avoid bad luck next year. Dishes are usually fish based, with carp being very important in Poland. After the dinner children unpack presents from under the Christmas Tree. Later people attend Midnight Mass to solemnly celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.

To make long story short: we're looking for the restaurant/place where we could have Xmas dinner
Old Dec 7, 2008, 8:27 am

If you're looking to stay Polish, and don't mind heading to Brooklyn, you should check out: http://www.yelp.com/biz/krolewskie-jadlo-brooklyn

You'll want to call to see how late they're open on the 24th. Not a whole lot of Polish restaurants in Manhattan.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:25 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by sbm12
What "spirit" of the day are you looking for?

For me the "spirit" is Chinatown and soup dumplings. My guess is that yours is different based on your comments. Are you looking for a church? Something else?
Joe's? Mmmm. Joe's DO?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by egon.olsen
Me&my GF will be staying in NYC from 23'rd till 27'th of Dec. Seems it'll be first Xmas without my family (just as Italians Poles are very serious about Xmas and it's the most important family event throught the year) and I'd like to feel a bit spirit of this day... Any ideas where could I spend this evening?
Go to a Christmas Eve mass. Talk about putting you in the Christmas spirit. It definitely works. While St Patrick's closes its doors unless you have a ticket, there are PLENTY of other churches that welcome visitors from all over the world to their parishes for mass.

Last edited by Analise; Dec 10, 2008 at 1:45 pm
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Analise, that's true evangelist attitude I'll look for the church to attend the Christmas Eve Mass...
stevenshev: Joe's DO sounds great... set up the date and time and we're in!
Old Dec 8, 2008, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by egon.olsen
stevenshev: Joe's DO sounds great... set up the date and time and we're in!
Joe's will be more my type of Christmas meal than yours, I think.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Analise
Go to a Christmas Eve mass. Talk about putting you in the Christmas spirit. It definitely works. While St Patrick's closes its doors unless you have a ticket, there are PLENTY of other churches which welcome visitors from all over the world to their parishes for mass.
Also, if OP wants, there a lots of churches with mass in Polish.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Advice needed: What's open in NYC on Xmas Eve/Day?

There's a very VERY remote possibility that I may be in NYC on Xmas Eve overnight and flying out Xmas day afternoon.

That being said, what's typically open for food, libations and so forth?
Old Dec 15, 2008, 4:15 pm

We've done a few threads on this. Just do a search and learn more than you ever thought possible!
Old Dec 15, 2008, 5:34 pm

Movie theaters in Chinatown are the only thing open then.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Analise
We've done a few threads on this. Just do a search and learn more than you ever thought possible!
Thanks! Found this thread from 2006...linked from a post from last November! ^
Old Dec 16, 2008, 9:01 am

There's also this thread that's still on the front page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.