Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

45-minute ANA connection in NRT - Time to visit C lounge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.

My award ticket in NH C class had a schedule change. Now we only have 45 minutes to connect from our BKK-NRT flight to the NRT-SFO flight. Both flights are on ANA. UA says it is a legal connection because 45 minutes is the minimum connect time in NRT when remaining on the same carrier.

Will we have time to visit the ANA C Lounge (and possibly take a real quick shower)?

Does ANA use the same transit Security lanes that United does? I'm trying to get an idea of the lines. Since we are flying mid-week in early December the loads should be pretty low that day.

What time does boarding begin for 777 aircraft for intenrational flights on ANA (i.e. how many minutes before departure)?
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:54 pm

In your infinite wisdom, do you honestly think 45 minutes is enough time to make a NRT connection AND visit the lounge?
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
I did it with a 30 minute connection last year. The security check at NRT is very quick, less than 5 min. I walked in, got a shower right away, was out in 15 min and back down to the gate. I didnt sit in the lounge but the shower was definitely worth it.

The one thing that keeps me going on these long haul flights is a good hot shower. Usually, more important on the SFO/NRT leg, but I try to get one on both.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 6:16 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Originally Posted by John26
My award ticket in NH C class had a schedule change. Now we only have 45 minutes to connect from our BKK-NRT flight to the NRT-SFO flight. Both flights are on ANA. UA says it is a legal connection because 45 minutes is the minimum connect time in NRT when remaining on the same carrier.

Will we have time to visit the ANA C Lounge (and possibly take a real quick shower)?

Does ANA use the same transit Security lanes that United does? I'm trying to get an idea of the lines. Since we are flying mid-week in early December the loads should be pretty low that day.

What time does boarding begin for 777 aircraft for intenrational flights on ANA (i.e. how many minutes before departure)?
I've never missed Kiri cheese and a beer on the 954-008 connection. Usually they are making the boarding announcement before I make it to the sofa.

Don't do anything silly.

-scho

Cheers, Scho

Last edited by schoflyer; Sep 30, 2009 at 12:28 am
Old Sep 17, 2008, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Thanks for the info!

I really just wanted to take a look at the lounge, but if there is time for a 5-7 minute shower I would be so much happier. If we arrive a little early from BKK it might be possible.

Anyone know if ANA is using the same transit Security lanes as United in NRT?

Also how long before the flight does boarding begin for NRT-SFO?
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:14 am

Anyone know if ANA is using the same transit Security lanes as United in NRT?

From looking at the NRT website, it doesn't look like UA and NH use the same checkpoints. UA is near 31 and NH is near gate 52, in different satellites.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:40 pm

RE Security.
If you arrive in the 40's maybe, 50's no.
Unless a huge mechanical delay in BKK 006 and 008 wait for 954!
Usually depart 50's.

Nothing is certain really until after you depart BKK so don't sweat it.

Scho
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:35 am

Programs: NH
I prefer to take NH916, the 11:55pm flight out of Bangkok, then take my time with the 8 hr connection in Narita. When I've taken NH954, the morning flight out of Bangkok, I've been rushed by waiting ground staff in Narita to NH08, with no chance of a stop at the lounge. This has happened a few times to me. If you're late at all out of Suvarnabhumi in BKK, don't expect too much of a stop at the lounge, let alone a shower.
Cheers!
Old Sep 23, 2008, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question 45-minute connection not a problem?

I have exactly the same situation as the OP, except flying in February. I infer from the reponses to his post that making the connection from ANA 954 to ANA 8 within 45 minutes should be no problem, but that does seem very tight. I just wanted to check to see if folks think it's worth the hassle of trying to find alternative routing for the C award tix for myself and my wife.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 5:01 pm

If you want to Downgrade to UA C you can I suppose catch a little later flight.
It's a legal connection and they will protect you.
People make it everyday. Not tight, standard!

If you want to fly BKK-SFO in about 16.5 hours do this.
If you want the same flight time AND at a full day at the C lounge at NRT don't.
Other consideration is...
Sleep in a bed in BKK (NH 954) vs an overnight flight on NH 916.
Both flights connect to the same NH008.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I have found that I am "better off" jetlag-wise with the 954 option.

-Scho
Old Sep 30, 2008, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, NW, SQ
Does NH "protect" you if you are on NH the whole trip?
Was looking at some tickets with connection times of 45 mins to 1 hour on ana website. Seems very tight to me.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 2:44 pm

NH protects as they would be your inbound carrier.
All legal connections.
Scho
Old Oct 12, 2008, 2:34 am

So today in the lounge NH was actually announcing that the 006 and 008 would be delayed due to the late arrival of connecting pax. Never heard that one before because I'm usually on the late arriving flight

I suppose the question is how long are they willing to wait for these pax.

Yesterday 954 was early, you could have showered. Today, forget the lounge unless you "know what your doing" and your the first off the plane. You need to beat the last Y pax that is making the connection.

Scho
Old Oct 13, 2008, 1:06 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
NH is MUCH better than United on misconnects.

I was SNA-SFO then going SFO-NRT (in Premium Economy). My SNA-SFO was delayed 1.5 hours due to fires (this was earlier in the year). So I landed at SFO to see my NH flight leaving!

Suffice to say, an NH agent met me in the jet bridge in the UA terminal (WOW! - remember we are still in the US), and said she already arranged for me to get on the UA flight. She walked me to UA intl ticketing and said if I needed anything to come by NH ticketing and they would be glad to help.

It's much better in NRT if you are on a misconnect - but you need to be on ONE ticket and have a legal min connecting time.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM
Just did the BKK-NRT-LAX connection yesterday. Our BKK flight took a bit longer and we did not get to the gate until 4:55, with NRT LAX leaving in 15 minutes. Once we depart the aircraft, there is a ground staff at every turn to shuttle us to the new flight. They even check our names at a few times and radio to the gate to report our new position. It was hilarious and efficient!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.