Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Space shuttle launch as seen from an Air Canada flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

We've all talked about events viewed from above while flying Air Canada or interesting things that happen while in-flight, so thought it was only fitting to share this video here:

http://www.inquisitr.com/2412/space-...-canada-plane/

It is an interesting view on a space shuttle launch, though the cameraman seems a surfer dude type who says things like cool and a few expletives several times as if that's like, you know, like the best description he can like, you know, come up with or something.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Like, totally cool vid man!
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by tcook052
...if that's like, you know, like the best description he can like, you know, come up with or something.
Hrmph. Having seen that vid, I think "Holy isht, look how fast it's going!" is a pretty good description of the whole thing! (You have to admit that's a pretty awe-inspring scene!)
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:37 pm

Programs: S.E, Preferred Select, SPG Platinum
Very neat. Looks to be shot from an Embraer aircraft for those plane buffs that would be interested. What seat do you think the footage was shot from?
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Hrmph. Having seen that vid, I think "Holy isht, look how fast it's going!" is a pretty good description of the whole thing! (You have to admit that's a pretty awe-inspring scene!)
Yes, an amazing scene and why I wanted to share it. Perhaps it tounge-tied the commentator but it's still my opinion he sounded like a surfer dude, dude. Cool.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Yup, pretty cool. I just wonder how an aircraft was allowed in that airspace.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 2:10 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by 1st Class Gekko
Very neat. Looks to be shot from an Embraer aircraft for those plane buffs that would be interested. What seat do you think the footage was shot from?
the plane looks too high to be going to MCO, perhaps MIA or other southern destinations? i thought they just put the Embraer's on to MCO and not to MIA? perhaps this is not an Embraer. it is tres kewl.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 2:22 pm

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by IsleTraveller
Yup, pretty cool. I just wonder how an aircraft was allowed in that airspace.
That view could have been obtained from hundreds of miles away...I'm sure they were not anywhere close to the restricted airspace around Cape Canaveral.

Awesome video to be sure!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 15, 2008, 4:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
That is so cool!

Seriously, an excellent video!
Old Aug 15, 2008, 7:35 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I once had the good fortune to watch a shuttle launch from the ground. Had a direct view of the launch pad across the Intracoastal Waterway from a distance of about 10 miles, which sounds like a lot, but we still had a great view.

It's interesting that until you've been in that situation it doesn't occur to you that after staking out a prime viewing spot and waiting an hour or two, the whole show is over in less than three minutes.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 7:47 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Dude... Sweet... Dude... Sweet...
Old Aug 16, 2008, 4:34 am

Smile

Originally Posted by 1st Class Gekko

Actually its not Embraer, its the Airbus A320, A319 or A321. Its definately not Embraer because I can recognize the wing and the wingtip.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 4:59 am

Programs: AC*E
Might have been on a YYZ-HAV flight....
Old Aug 16, 2008, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Karlitos
Might have been on a YYZ-HAV flight....
Not possible. This was taken from a northbound aircraft.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow!!! This is very awesome video that I saw the Space Shuttle were takeoff from JFK Space Center near Melbourne, FL. I certainly remember that we rode tour to see the Space Shuttle near the launch pad. It was mostly incredibly video that you were took from your aircraft. Thanks for sharing me some a nice video.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.