Old May 26, 2008, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
AF-KL interested in Austrian Airlines ?

http://www.nu.nl/news/1583148/32/%27...rlines%27.html

also here (need to pay)
http://www.latribune.fr/info/Alfred-...0080526U7EYQJF

let's discuss: would OS fit in the picture? or will LH buy them?
Old May 26, 2008, 4:01 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
We had a codeshare flight with KLM from SZG to AMS. But this service was cancelled several years ago.

It would be nice to have it back, because at SZG you only have the choice of *A carrier and some LCC.
Old May 26, 2008, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

the article is more as in: AFKL to buy Austrian Airlines - so no more *A membership but being fully integrated in the AFKL company.
Old May 26, 2008, 4:38 am

Programs: AF Plat Ultimate, BA GGL, MS Elite
If it happens it's a good news cause OS is a good carrier, however I doubt LH or LX will let OS goes to the foe. LX and LH are filling up their hubs with OS (what's the rate ?)
Old May 26, 2008, 4:44 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
It would be a great opportunity for AF/KL today, as it was earlier when OS left Qualiflyer, before joining Star Alliance.
Old May 26, 2008, 6:59 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
I flew VIE FRA yesterday on OS in C on short notice. All day flights more or less were fully packed... it seems that both benefit a lot from each other network between LH and OS. Service was good, hot meal even for a 1:10 hour flight!

It would however be strange to have OS in skyteam since CSA would be quite against I presume, as both tend to serve a lot of Eastern European countries. It was the main reason for Malev not to be in Skyteam AFAIR.
Old May 26, 2008, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
That would be quite a coup for SkyTeam. OS IMO has the very best business class food of all carriers Transatlantic and I was thinking of it as I looked at the awful dinner type stuff put out by AF on my last flight with them in April.
Old May 27, 2008, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by ranskis
It would however be strange to have OS in skyteam since CSA would be quite against I presume, as both tend to serve a lot of Eastern European countries. It was the main reason for Malev not to be in Skyteam AFAIR.
I thought CSA were the ones sponsoring Malev's associate membership in SkyTeam, the reason they joined oneworld was because they were offered full membership rather than just associate. Being an associate member means giving up your own frequent flyer programme and joining that of your sponsor.

Frequent flyer integration would be odd in the case of OS, as they use M&M it'd be tricky. I'd assume a fast switchover to FB but someone who only flys OS (and no other *A airline) may end up with a bunch of useless M&M miles - unless OS can take the miles with them somehow.

Last edited by layz; May 27, 2008 at 6:29 am Reason: Miles and More
Old May 27, 2008, 6:50 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
When Scandic hotels were sold by Hilton, HH members could carry over their HH points to the new scandic hotel program including status... i guess it would be something similar in that case.
Old May 27, 2008, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
...you won't see many OS HONs wanting a status match from FB Platinum ...
Old May 27, 2008, 8:50 am

Programs: Many
Indeed, I would be quite disapointed to move from HON to Plat.

But IIRC, there are not so many OS HONs.
Old May 27, 2008, 9:10 am

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
It would be great addition to Skyteam. *A would not lose that much as TK serves a lot Eastern destinations as well.
Old May 29, 2008, 4:57 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I find that odd. Between CSA, AZ, KL and AF I think Eastern destinations are pretty well served by SkyTeam. Does OS have ANY new destinations? AFKL also has TONS of TATL flights, especially with JV partners NW and DL, so I'm sure it's not the JFK-VIE flight they're after.

I just can't figure out why AFKL would make such a move. Ideas?
Old May 29, 2008, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by florin
I find that odd. Between CSA, AZ, KL and AF I think Eastern destinations are pretty well served by SkyTeam. Does OS have ANY new destinations? AFKL also has TONS of TATL flights, especially with JV partners NW and DL, so I'm sure it's not the JFK-VIE flight they're after.

if they don't, then LH will ...
Old May 29, 2008, 9:07 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by florin

Austrian airlines has many niche market destinations that are not served by AF and KL, and only by few and often even no other European airlines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austria...s_destinations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.