Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Any advantage to booking through DL vs AF for codeshares?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any advantage to booking through DL vs AF for codeshares?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2008, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO
Question Any advantage to booking through DL vs AF for codeshares?

I'm flying ATL-CDG-BLR this July. The ATL-CDG leg is Delta operated and the CDG-BLR is operated by Air France. The entire flight will be in non-upgradeable coach (probably Q or H fares).

My travel agent wants to book the itinerary on AF (so that all flights are listed with AF flight numbers). My question is whether or not it is worth pushing them to book as Delta flights. Do I get any additional benefits as a delta PM by having the flights listed with Delta flight numbers?

Thanks for your advice.
Old May 16, 2008, 9:35 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PL 2MM, UA 1P, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
The only additional benefit would be if you needed to make a change or if something went wrong. I cant imagine that DL's SMS would be as helpful if you are not booked on a DL flight.

That being said all of your SkyTeam Elite Plus benefits still apply.

Also, DL would not be able to select a seat for you on AF metal anyway.
Old May 16, 2008, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by adl_dlflyer
Do I get any additional benefits as a delta PM by having the flights listed with Delta flight numbers?
I would think, on the DL leg ATL-CDG, you would get higher priority for an OP-UP (if necessary) on a DL ticket than a AF ticket. Other than that, I can't think of any added perks.
Old May 16, 2008, 12:01 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Probably not an issue for the OP, but for Amex platinum business card holders, there's a 3% cash rebate on purchases made with Delta, but not AF. If it's a Skymiles branded platinum Amex, you get another 2%, for a total rebate of 5%.
Old May 16, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: Delta-Platinum, Marriott Platinum Premere
Someone else mentioned that Delta would not be able to assign a seat on AF metal....well that isn't necessarily the truth. I am flying on an AF flight next week from IAD to CDG that I booked on Delta.com. I picked my seats online and then called Delta to confirm. She was able to pick any of the seats that AF hadn't blocked out (a few of the bulkhead seats).

Lori
Old May 16, 2008, 2:50 pm

If you hold an AMEX Platinum or Centurion card, you would have access to lounges in ATL if flying Delta. Not sure if on AF ticket. If flying business it would not matter. If DL has lounge at CDG, same would apply.
Old May 16, 2008, 5:17 pm
formerly OliverS

Originally Posted by augrads
Someone else mentioned that Delta would not be able to assign a seat on AF metal....well that isn't necessarily the truth. I am flying on an AF flight next week from IAD to CDG that I booked on Delta.com. I picked my seats online and then called Delta to confirm. She was able to pick any of the seats that AF hadn't blocked out (a few of the bulkhead seats).

Lori
Please let me know how that goes. I just did a MUC-CDG-ATL-ORD-CDG-MUC trip - all booked via delta.com, but on AF metal (except the US domestic portion).
I was not able to secure any seat assignment up front, not even the crappiest aisle and neither via web nor phone. This doesn't mean that DL.com hadn't shown my seat as reserved until the very last minute, it just never went through to AF's IT.
This resulted in my first TATL in a middle seat ever in my life - and my last one, as I am not booking that crap again.

While I wish you the best of luck, I seriously doubt you actually have a seat assignment in AF's IT.
Old May 17, 2008, 12:08 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Just booked a TATL trip on AF website. Have to say it was very easy; user-friendly; gave me a lot of options. I was able to select my seats, include my DL Skymiles number and the fares were identical. Good experience. ^
Old May 17, 2008, 9:12 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Here is another wrinkle on why it might be better to book as a DL codeshare rather than AF. If for any reason, you cancel the trip, your residual value (the ticket price minus the change fee) will live on for a year from the date of ticket issue. Now are you more likely to be able to use that residual value going forward on DL or on AF?
Old May 17, 2008, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by OliverS
Please let me know how that goes. I just did a MUC-CDG-ATL-ORD-CDG-MUC trip - all booked via delta.com, but on AF metal (except the US domestic portion).
I was not able to secure any seat assignment up front, not even the crappiest aisle and neither via web nor phone. This doesn't mean that DL.com hadn't shown my seat as reserved until the very last minute, it just never went through to AF's IT.
This resulted in my first TATL in a middle seat ever in my life - and my last one, as I am not booking that crap again.

While I wish you the best of luck, I seriously doubt you actually have a seat assignment in AF's IT.
If you call AF directly, they should be able to issue a seat assignment.

Another benefit to booking with DL is that agents are much more likely to be able to make changes or help out with your record. Otherwise they'll say this is AF and I cant do anything to it (except for the DL flight).
Old May 17, 2008, 10:24 am
formerly OliverS

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
No,

because apparently AF has no passenger info until one day before departure. They know that DL will need a seat on the flights, but that is it.
Old May 17, 2008, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777

Another benefit to booking with DL is that agents are much more likely to be able to make changes or help out with your record. Otherwise they'll say this is AF and I cant do anything to it (except for the DL flight).
I question both of these statements.

My experience is that AF won't even touch, much less help, your seat assignment on AF booked with Delta. Before my last trip earlier this year, I called and called- I even had my AF reservation number (which is different from Delta's) and they kept telling me to call Delta. Delta, in turn, is impotent-they can only "send a request" which AF won't confirm. And don't think that seat assigment on the Delta web site means AF is holding it for you-the same seat Delta showed as reserved for me showed "available" over on the AF website.

As for Delta agents being more likely to help, I think that's true on the domestic leg, but I'm more likely to need help on the international leg, and there AF would be more likely to help.

I've asked before why Delta doesn't take some action to get this straightened out. Until they do, I'm booking with Air France.
Old May 17, 2008, 11:02 am
formerly OliverS

@Mountain Trader: This is exactly my experience as well.
Old May 18, 2008, 6:26 am

Programs: Delta DM, 3M; AA, FB, UA some lower status
I believe that AF policy allows assigned seats prior to the day of the flight only for high-fare bookings, such as paid business or first class (and maybe for FB Elites). Any other seat "assignment" in their system is considered to be a request only. If Delta is able to select seats for you, there is a good chance you will find yourself sitting in a different seat when you check in. I think the best strategy is to arrive for the first leg as early as possible, and verify your seat assignments at check in. Having a seat map in hand when you are standing at the check in counter is also useful.
Old May 18, 2008, 6:30 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by Tom Williams
I believe that AF policy allows assigned seats prior to the day of the flight only for high-fare bookings, such as paid business or first class (and maybe for FB Elites).
Incorrect. You can pre-reserve a seat prior to the day of departure on any AF long-haul flight on any ticket.

It is just shorthaul flights allow for a pre-assigned seat in the business class cabin only - which is the case with most European carriers.

Originally Posted by OliverS
No,

because apparently AF has no passenger info until one day before departure. They know that DL will need a seat on the flights, but that is it.
Incorrect as well. There is an AF PNR created immediately, however it is under DL's control and AF can only see it - they cannot change it. The problem is solely that DL and AF have not worked out their IT issues yet so that stuff like seat requests is being handled properly.

What is a working workaround?

If the original PNR for a DL-coded but AF-operated flight is booked in Amadeus (= through a travel agent, not directly through Delta), it is possible to pre-assign the seat of one's choice based on AF availability (which includes the applicable elite seating area AF has in the front of the Y cabin) - even if you fly on a DL fare in T class.

I've done it many times through my Amadeus system - successfully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.