Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Cancels May 8 flights to EZE - and more?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2008, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

AA Cancels May 8 flights to EZE - and more?

Don't want to cause panic but it has just been announced on television here that AA have cancelled all flights to EZE until further notice. Can anyone confirm this?
Cancellations are due to the Chilean volcanic eruption which has caused the ash plume to reach the airways around Buenos Aires.
Old May 8, 2008, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
just pulled up all flights on aa.com from MIA, JFK and DFW to EZE..

it appears all flights to EZE are cancelled for today/tonight...
Old May 8, 2008, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
UA has also cancelled their IAD-EZE flight but DL and CO are still flying tonight.
Old May 8, 2008, 7:22 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Obviously the Ash only affects US Airlines that have an International First Class Cabins

Last edited by UncleDude; May 11, 2008 at 12:15 pm
Old May 8, 2008, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Obviously the Ash only affects US aircraft that have a First Class Cabin
Only the MIA flights (777) have a F cabin. The JFK, DFW and ORD flights use 763 aircraft and only have a J cabin.
Old May 8, 2008, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the confirmation HankAAFlyer.

The television was showing the ash plume high in the sky over Buenos Aires today and by the way the volcano is still spewing the stuff out I can see it lasting a while. The only hope would be a change in the winds.
Old May 8, 2008, 8:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That's it, all right, and the normal winds are west to east. Not to mention, it could be double trouble - Ms. Fernandez de K. might be making an ash of herself if the farmers decide to make a hash of goods deliveries and traffic again. we'll hope for some remedy by next week - ¡ojalá!

The BBC says Volcán Chaitén hasn't erupted for 9,000 years, but might go on for some time. Link.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Thanks for the confirmation HankAAFlyer.

The television was showing the ash plume high in the sky over Buenos Aires today and by the way the volcano is still spewing the stuff out I can see it lasting a while. The only hope would be a change in the winds.
Old May 8, 2008, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver

The BBC says Volcán Chaitén hasn't erupted for 9,000 years, but might go on for some time. Link.
Thanks for the link JDiver.

Hope your flight makes it in. ^
Old May 8, 2008, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
One remembers the stories about British Airways Flight 9 over Indonesia, which almost made an unpowered landing due to volcano ash, including the Captain's statement:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9
Old May 8, 2008, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
I do not know if this is related or not, but last month, farmers protesting President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner's tax policies burned off fields and created severe air quality problems, resulting in a number of canceled flights (as well as creating blockades on the highway between Bs As and EZE, a common way of protesting in Argentina.)
I was in Buenos Aires during that time - but being caught up in a work-induced "bubble" I had not read up on international news and did not realize why there was so much pollution compared to prior trips. I was coughing for days after my visit. I can only imagine how much worse it is now.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
At least at ground level, the current air quality here in Buenos Aires doesn't seem to be any worse than normal (and is certainly much better than when we had smoke hanging over the city for many days a couple of weeks back).

It looks like the farmers' strike is back on after talks with the government have broken down although this time they've promised not to block the roads....we shall see.

Here's hoping for a change in the wind direction or the volcano settling down so flights can resume as quickly as possible.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:30 pm
asl

Not only were all flights canceled, availability for rebooking was very slim. I was booked tonight in J JFK-EZE and the best they could do was through DFW in Y. I would have gone through SCL on LAN in J, but friends in group traveling with firearms complicates matters.

It pains me to say (especially with double EQM promo), but I'm riding DL through Atlanta tomorrow, which did have some business class availability.

At least I'm on AA coming back next week.
Old May 8, 2008, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by asl
the best they could do was through DFW in Y.
Originally Posted by asl
I'm riding DL through Atlanta tomorrow, which did have some business class availability.
Just curious if you are taking AA through DFW or DL through ATL? If you are taking DL to EZE, did AA endorse you over or did you do this on your own?
Old May 9, 2008, 8:02 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Thanks for the link JDiver.

Hope your flight makes it in. ^
So? You go to live in Argentina and bang goes a volcano? The nation goes on strike and AA have cancelled their flights.

Please promise me that you will never move in next door!

We are still coming Sat PM - so far.
Old May 9, 2008, 8:23 am
asl

Originally Posted by RxCapt
Just curious if you are taking AA through DFW or DL through ATL? If you are taking DL to EZE, did AA endorse you over or did you do this on your own?
I refunded my ticket AA JFK-EZE ticket and purchased Delta JFK-ATL-EZE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.