Wiki Posts
Search

LAX service suspended?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2008, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
LAX service suspended?

Looks like LAX is no longer appearing on the where we jet page and has been removed from the new service start up section. Probably a good decision with oil over $120/barrel and a lot of competition on the LAX-JFK route.
Old May 5, 2008, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Looks like LAX is no longer appearing on the where we jet page and has been removed from the new service start up section. Probably a good decision with oil over $120/barrel and a lot of competition on the LAX-JFK route.
Uh-oh! I didn't realized know that from B6 has been suspended service due to more direct competition with VX, DL, UA, AA. Its should be freed up some aircraft more new routes somewhere else instead of LAX.
Old May 5, 2008, 6:54 pm

Programs: VX unless destination indicates otherwise (damn hippieanarchistville--EUG--and PHX)
Of all places to suspend I would think that this would be the last. B6 is letting VX walk over them, though Red does it for VX anyway.

I wonder if this is some malicious scheme, I can just imagine Forest Hills and Burlingame talking and saying in low pitched voices "OK, you stay out of AUS, I'll stay out of LAX. Do we have a deal or will we have to create a fare sale"

Of course that would never happen.
Old May 5, 2008, 7:07 pm

The LAX start-up has been suspended indefinitely. Reason cited is the cost of fuel.

Questionable decision, IMHO, but we'll see what happens.
Old May 5, 2008, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by caphis
The LAX start-up has been suspended indefinitely. Reason cited is the cost of fuel.

Questionable decision, IMHO, but we'll see what happens.
WOW!

New cities cost a lot of money, and B6 was coming into LAX with transcons only, meaning the fares they'd have to charge would be pretty high to make money on the city. They'd need to average ~$250 o/w fares to break even on a 100% LF. That is huge, and I am sure they realize that it is incredibly unlikely, especially given the competition.

While I'm surprised that they pulled the plug on LAX, it isn't completely shocking.

Last edited by sbm12; May 5, 2008 at 7:33 pm Reason: added fare/URL
Old May 5, 2008, 7:14 pm

Programs: trueblue
WOW!! I was very close to booking into JFK-LAX for August!!! DW convinced me to go to ONT instead. ONT is closer to our final land destination!

How is the JFK-ONT route doing?
Old May 5, 2008, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I actually think is a smart to suspend it for now. They have no competition at LGB/BUR/ONT on non-stops to JFK. In this environment, it is not possible to offer $99 specials to gain new customers. Better to conserve cash and see how many legacy carriers will be left at the end of the summer. More opportunities will present themselves once the legacies start to break their loan covenants and ground planes.
Old May 5, 2008, 8:05 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Yes LAX has been suspended due to fuel costs. However may have aquired additional slots for LGB to make up for the removal of LAX. Look for furthur information in the coming days regarding that.
Old May 5, 2008, 8:06 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by billymach4
WOW!! I was very close to booking into JFK-LAX for August!!! DW convinced me to go to ONT instead. ONT is closer to our final land destination!

How is the JFK-ONT route doing?
Still preforming well in the revenue and yield department
Old May 5, 2008, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
Still preforming well in the revenue and yield department
What is this means? Please clarify something to me. Thanks!
Old May 5, 2008, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
Yes LAX has been suspended due to fuel costs.
How do you suspend service that never started?
Old May 5, 2008, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by nerd
How do you suspend service that never started?
The opening of the LAX station has been suspended.

Originally Posted by sbm12
New cities cost a lot of money, and B6 was coming into LAX with transcons only, meaning the fares they'd have to charge would be pretty high to make money on the city. They'd need to average ~$250 o/w fares to break even on a 100% LF. That is huge, and I am sure they realize that it is incredibly unlikely, especially given the competition.
I question the math used in that article to obtain the $35,000 pricetag. Even with the most liberal math, and assuming a hike up to $3.50/gal (and a crew consisting of those highest in seniority), I come up with around $15,000 per flight for just the flight itself. This doesn't account for station rent, landing fees, airports crew... but I think $35,000 is a bit inflated.

Last edited by caphis; May 5, 2008 at 9:56 pm
Old May 6, 2008, 6:18 am

Programs: Trueblue, Skymiles, AAdvantage
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...0,101118.story

Have to agree with this move. No reason to bleed further on the transcons. In the coming months with all the capacity reductions there will be plenty of opportunities.
Old May 6, 2008, 6:34 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Airlines Gold
Originally Posted by caphis
The opening of the LAX station has been suspended.

I question the math used in that article to obtain the $35,000 pricetag. Even with the most liberal math, and assuming a hike up to $3.50/gal (and a crew consisting of those highest in seniority), I come up with around $15,000 per flight for just the flight itself. This doesn't account for station rent, landing fees, airports crew... but I think $35,000 is a bit inflated.
Right now it cost more than $15,000 to fill up for JFK-LGB, so it's actually more for the actual flight when you add in the crews.. And yes, the crews on that flight from what I saw who got the flights were fairly senior. (They can have them! I'll take my unproductive 190 trips on the East coast )
Old May 6, 2008, 6:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Brigri
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...0,101118.story

Have to agree with this move. No reason to bleed further on the transcons. In the coming months with all the capacity reductions there will be plenty of opportunities.
I know a few more TCON markets that suffer from tuff competition and high fuel cost: JFK-SFO/OAK. Is B6 gonna pull the plug on this one too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.