Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

eVIP - domestic segment has A3 - Int'l has C0 - both waitlisted?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2008, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP

I'm curious how AA's upgrade computers work, as I'm a relative newbie to flying them.

I've have an eVIP upgrade sponsored for me and right now my domestic segment is showing A3 availability (and it has had availability for several days). The international segment is C0. I'm assuming AA is not clearing the domestic segment because people typically don't want to burn an eVIP for only a domestic segment if the international segment does not clear. I have no status on AA currently.

My flight is tomorrow. I'm assuming if I do nothing the flights will remain waitlisted - my question is, will the domestic segment ever clear, and if so, when? I'm assuming if I do nothing the gate agent will ultimately clear me if there's still availability at departure time.

Thanks in advance...

- T
Old Apr 25, 2008, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can call them right now and have them clear the upgrade into "A" on the domestic route. As you mention, standard procedure is to not clear the domestic until the international clears, but that's just standard procedure, you can use the VIP however you want. Obviously know that if the international leg doesn't clear, you won't get anything back.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
Sounds like it was set up for the domestic segment to clear only if the international segment clears. That is how most choose to waitlist eVIPs, although the domestic segment can be confirmed right away since the inventory is available but then the eVIP will be used whether or not the more desirable international segment clears.

Are there still J and possibly also D seats available on your international flight that you have a chance of that upgrade clearing? If so, you might want to call reservations and let them confirm the domestic segment and hope your international segment gets upgraded so as not to burn an eVIP for domestic only. If your international segment does not clear before your originating domestic flight, you would have to forfeit the domestic upgrade if you are unwilling to gamble that your international flight will be upgraded later.

The waitlist clears by status so if you are not EXP and there are not several revenue business seats available, you may not get the international segment upgrade. I personally would not upgrade the domestic unless I had good reason to believe the international segment would clear-I'd rather save the eVIP to try to use on another international flight than upgrade only domestically with it. YMMV
Old Apr 25, 2008, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Thanks so much for that info. You are correct... I didn't realize this when I posted originally, but the international leg was booked to have priority over the domestic leg.

I'd rather save it and sit in coach if it doesn't clear on the international leg. My return flight has cleared on all segments so at least I'll be comfortable on the flight home if nothing else.

This will be my first international flight in the back of the bus in almost 5 years. Hopefully this will be the it for at least another 5.

- T

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.