According to this

http://www.theworlds50best.com/2008_list.html

Please discuss.

Last edited by LapLap; Apr 22, 2008 at 7:32 am Reason: to correct title
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:06 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
This oversight was picked up by Chubby Hubby and he has a plan to do something to counter this.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Interesting site, thanks!

His plan is to help counter this with the Miele Guide

http://www.mieleguide.com/

FTers can cast their own votes there (mid May)
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by LapLap
According to this

http://www.theworlds50best.com/2008_list.html

Please discuss.
This guide suffers from major sampling bias. A number of the restaurants are "chains" (Robuchon, Gagnaire, Ducasse) with "branches" in Tokyo that are as good or better than the ones listed there.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pickles
This guide suffers from major sampling bias. A number of the restaurants are "chains" (Robuchon, Gagnaire, Ducasse) with "branches" in Tokyo that are as good or better than the ones listed there.
It seems awfully sad that the only restaurants in Hong Kong they deemed worthy of mention were Robuchon and Gagnaire, as well as Zuma, all of them "branches".

Have you eaten at Robuchon or Gagnaire in Hong Kong? (I'm sure you're referring to these in part)
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Have you eaten at Robuchon or Gagnaire in Hong Kong? (I'm sure you're referring to these in part)
The Robuchon a Galera in Macau was probably one of my top 3 meals in Asia. Very very good, noticeably better than the Robuchon castle in Ebisu. The Gagnaire in HK was too precious by half, and ultimately disappointing. The Gagnaire in Tokyo is far superior.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:34 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Cultural gap, nothing serious. Chinese chefs would probably love Fergus Henderson, btw. Curious on how culinary Japan views his offal dishes?
Old Apr 24, 2008, 7:00 am

It seems awfully sad that the only restaurants in Hong Kong they deemed worthy of mention were Robuchon and Gagnaire, as well as Zuma, all of them "branches".

To even consider putting Gagnaire in HK in the top 100 restaurants in the world discredits the survey in my mind...there are probably 100 better restaurants in Asia alone than that place, not to mention the world.

I ate there last summer and felt that the food was poor and the service pretty mediocre. The views were the only redeeming part. Gagnaire should not have his name on this place -- I feel his Paris restaurant is perhaps the best restaurant in the world, and that this is simply an embarrassment.

I won't eat in Robuchon places as a general rule. I feel he's expanded way too much, and I don't like the concept behind L'Atelier. I was at L'Atelier in Paris a couple years ago and thought that, while pretty good, was overpriced and not amazing. The fact that it has two Michelin stars now amazes me.

Pickles: How is Gagnaire Tokyo? Is it really worth going to? If you've been to his Paris one, how does it compare?
Old May 15, 2008, 3:55 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Interesting site, thanks!

His plan is to help counter this with the Miele Guide

http://www.mieleguide.com/

FTers can cast their own votes there (mid May)

Voting has begun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.