Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Singapore KrisFlyer marketing partnership changing: 2 SPG = 1 mile

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:28 pm
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level

Both the transfer ratio for Starwood Preferred Guest Starpoints to Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer miles and the transfer ratio for Airline Direct Deposit transactions of Starwood Preferred Guest Starpoints to Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer miles will be changing from 1:1 to 2:1, effective 3 PM EDT today.

This means 2 Starpoints will now equal 1 KrisFlyer mile for both airline transfer awards and Airline Direct Deposit transactions following the change.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Apr 16, 2008, 2:30 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Not great news, but you're a good man for giving us what heads-up you were able to. Thanks, William.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I better start transfering my points to a particular airline I've been wanting to do. I bet that airline will soon follow 2:1
Old Apr 16, 2008, 3:07 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
So QF is leaving, SQ is being devaluated by 50%. William, is Starwood looking at re-designing all airline partnerships?
Old Apr 16, 2008, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA1MM, QF/NZ/VA/UA/DL, etc...
First UA, now SQ - I wonder if all *A are going to eventually go to this? Of course, NZ is already at 65:1 with their Airpoints program, as it's a bit different.

If SPG points begin to lose too much value, some may go for airline branded credit cards more, and reduce use of SPG cards, I suspect. Granted, this is still a small number of airlines with the devalued transfer ratios...
Old Apr 16, 2008, 4:17 pm
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
So QF is leaving, SQ is being devaluated by 50%. William, is Starwood looking at re-designing all airline partnerships?
Marketing partnership contracts are reviewed, renegotiated and either signed or dismissed whenever the current contract is set to expire. IIRC, these happen on a yearly basis. I would not think that SPG is looking to specifically re-design any of our airline partnerships unless the overall benefit of keeping a marketing partnership intact demands it despite what may be considered to be negative effect on some of its members.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Apr 16, 2008, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I would bet that SQ pulled the chain on this one.
They seem to currently think they are in a very strong position. Fair enough, they have been doing very well financially for ages - but I can't wait to see when their premium loads drop due to economic turnmoil.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 7:18 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Thanks for the advanced notice to 1/2 of the world William, but ahem, ahem, that's pretty cruddy notice for those of us on this side of the planet (and those most likely to be SQ FF members and want to execute on that notice). I guess I didnt get up early enough to get the worm this morning! By the time I logged into SPG the ratio had been switched...
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:58 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by Rambuster
They seem to currently think they are in a very strong position. Fair enough, they have been doing very well financially for ages - but I can't wait to see when their premium loads drop due to economic turnmoil.
You mean like during the SARS epidemic in 2003? I remember flying SQ then and there were more FA's than pax in business class! You could have bought SQ stock for cheap then.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
In February I was on the SFO-ICN-SIN 77W in J.
The loads were 0 in F, 7 in J and 89 in Y.

I had the entire second J cabin for myself ... and plenty of time to check out the F seat. As there was nobody in F the crew let me play around with the new seat.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 4:46 pm

I was going to transfer roughly 90k on 11th of this month when usually my SPG points post. This time it didn't post on time and I opened a service request and they're still "investigating"

Just my luck.

Ironically,I was just recommending SPG card to my coworker and I was showing him the list of airlines when I noticed the 2:1 ratio.
How come we don't get a notification of this unlike the Quantas??

Sorry about the rant William, it wasn't directed towards you.
Thanks for the notification though.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 5:04 pm

In the parallel thread in the SQ forum, somebody pointed out that the Amex Membership Rewards to SQ ratio is still 1:1.

While that doesn't help those of us that have lots of SPG points, it is an option for some moving forward if your target is SQ. Of course, there's no guarantee that MR:SQ will remain at 1:1.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=813715

-David
Old Apr 17, 2008, 5:36 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Originally Posted by Rambuster
I wouldn't bet on them losing too much business. Most Asian economies are strong and growing and SQ is well-positioned to take a lot of that traffic.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:32 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
In the parallel thread in the SQ forum, somebody pointed out that the Amex Membership Rewards to SQ ratio is still 1:1.

While that doesn't help those of us that have lots of SPG points, it is an option for some moving forward if your target is SQ. Of course, there's no guarantee that MR:SQ will remain at 1:1.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=813715

-David
Nor does it guarantee SQ won't change their redemption levels. After being burned by Qantas with 650k 'in the bank' I learned to keep the points where they're as 'liquid' as possible. If nothing else I can still use 'em for stays.

As for AMEX, I wouldn't bet on that redemption level changing anytime soon. SQ just signed on. As us looong suffering MR people know all too well, the program is nothing if not staid.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 2:14 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Here in Australia the MR:SQ redemption rates were 2:1

They have just changed them this month to be 4:3

They did the same with CX, MH & TG at the same time. (all were 2:1 also)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.