Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA has plans to screen ALL cargo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
TSA has plans to screen ALL cargo

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...o_N.htm?csp=34

The Transportation Security Administration is launching a program that for the first time aims to screen all cargo on passenger airplanes.

The effort begins this summer in major cities and could lead to longer delivery times for packages shipped through the air. It seeks to close a hole that allows millions of packages to be carried under passenger cabins without being checked for bombs.
A key part of the plan is that it will rely on packing companies to volunteer to screen cargo they deliver to airports. Companies that sign up will have to buy and run screening machines and face TSA regulation — which could deter volunteers.

Last edited by sammy0623; Apr 9, 2008 at 11:41 pm Reason: mis-paste
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:55 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Sure. And I have plans to win Powerball.

At least my plans aren't going to inconvenience anyone or waste anyone else's money.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Spiff

At least my plans aren't going to inconvenience anyone or waste anyone else's money.
But your PowerBall plans are about as likely as these are to come to fruition. As a shipping merchant I would not spend $$$$$$$ and time performing the security checks that my tax dollars are supposed to be paying for and that the government is supposed to be doing unless I'm getting paid to do so.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
All this while the airports are in chaos because the FAA is finally starting to do their job wrt inspections.

It seems like the Federal government is hell-bent on destroying aviation.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 7:29 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
All this while the airports are in chaos because the FAA is finally starting to do their job wrt inspections.

It seems like the Federal government is hell-bent on destroying aviation.
Or just hellbent on forcing the current recession (which we have been in since late last year, IMO) to become a systemic depression with the aviation sector as the input vector.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 9:30 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
More smoke and mirrors.
Most screening would be done by the 12,000 companies that truck goods from manufacturing plants to airports. The companies, called freight forwarders, would screen packages with X-ray machines and explosive sensors in warehouses where they are packed into large containers that are driven to nearby airports, TSA assistant administrator John Sammon said. Manufacturers also would screen boxes in factories.

The goal is to move screening away from airport cargo facilities, which are too small to check all freight, Sammon said. There is no plan for the TSA to pay for screening equipment or screeners, which Congress has said could cost $3.75 billion over 10 years.
So the TSA plays absolutely no part in this scheme. Private companies get xray machines and their own employees supposedly examine each and every box or package.
Riiight.

Didn't Congress order the TSA to screen all cargo effectively themselves ? Another "nah, don't wanna" response from This Sad Apology.

"Manufacturers also would screen boxes in factories." Huh ?
Old Apr 10, 2008, 9:52 am

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot people?

Jesus, I've heard considerable b!tching and moaning about the lack of cargo screening on this board. Then, when they say they're going to start correcting the issue that's been b!tched and moaned about, you b!tch and moan about that.

Which is it - should cargo be screened or not? You can't have it both ways.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by law dawg
Cargo should be screened by the agency responsible for aviation security. Not delegated to God-knows-who. 'kay ?
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:06 am

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot people?

Jesus, I've heard considerable b!tching and moaning about the lack of cargo screening on this board. Then, when they say they're going to start correcting the issue that's been b!tched and moaned about, you b!tch and moan about that.

Screen cargo and stop harassing travelers? Sure.

Appeasement screening? "Did you screen that?" "Ummm.. yea!" What's the point? What's one more lie to Congress?

This is yet another example of Joke Security - For Novelty Purposes Only, Not To Be Confused With Real Security.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:02 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
it will never get off the ground (pun intented)

tho on the oft chance that it does.....

grossly over budget and contractor corruption will abound
Originally Posted by Spiff

right after you catch the flying pig, right?
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Cargo should be screened by the agency responsible for aviation security. Not delegated to God-knows-who. 'kay ?
Would you prefer it not be done at all?
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:42 am

Why bother, if it's just a nod and a wink?

Or worse yet, a revenue-grab?

"Sign up for Known Shipper! For a mere $100,000 per year, you will be immune from random package "inspections" that could result in... loss." Put your payment (small bills, please) in a nondescript briefcase and see "Fat Tony" out back.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:48 am

Programs: CO Plat, NWA Gold, Delta, Hertz #1, PriorityClub, yadayada
Companies can outsource

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
To Dubai and let the terrorists screen all of the packages. That will work well. For terrorists. Sounds good to W.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by markwtaylor
To Dubai and let the terrorists screen all of the packages. That will work well. For terrorists. Sounds good to W.
There's nothing wrong with outsourcing. Let's take that discussion to Omni, shall we?
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:56 am

False Dichotomy. You can do better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.